SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexiebalexie

Will Thuja Green Giants regrow after deer browsing, etc

alexiebalexie
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I will work on getting pics (as luck had it my camera just died as I was shooting pics). We are Zone 7, We planted 10x Thuja green giants in spring of 2014. They were mail ordered type of deal and they were delivered at 4-5ft. Most (maybe 1 or 2 are in part shade) are in sun all with loam soil. They were well watered for the 1st yr (long drinks from garden hose) & we also have irrigation back there.

Last spring (2016) I had my gardener move 5 of them that were planted waaaaay too close to the others. So now they are staggered row, spaced about 8 feet apart. They were about 8-10 ft tall when moved this 2nd time. They were fertilized w/ spikes at this time too. The 5 in the back (the ones not moved last yr) are doing great, filling out & about 10-13 ft tall. The ones that were moved (last spring) are struggling. They were 'stunted' because they were competing with the other ones doing so well, hence they were moved to give them all more room. Not to mention the "2nd" transplant done last spring has stunted them again!... How long does it take for them to rebound from that?

My gardener (not my gardener anymore) also cut about 6 inches of so of each of the tree's central leader "to encourage them to thicken out". Now they are growing "side" leaders, meaning the top part (stem) seems to have stopped and a side branch now awkwardly has become the dominate leader. Will this correct itself?

They look strange and now have thinned terribly due to severe deer browsing (they are wrapped individually in wire cages about 4-5 ft tall but the deer here are relentless). They look pathetic, they are (all) still green but look thin & sad. I'm at a loss at what to do...

The way I see our options are:

a) Trim? Trim what? The wonky looking leaders so that the top leader grows?

b) Leave them alone completely and let them grow their own way? DO THEY REBOUND AFTER Deer browsing?? The leaves have been badly stripped, but the inside trunks are ok.

Or...c) Take the struggling 5 front ones out? And replace with something else (some day when I get more $ together). With what? Saw them? They are already tall so taking them out would have to be done ASAP before I can no longer do it.

Thanks for any help &/or advice.

Comments (13)