SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitchelltrashmail

Protecting Broccoli and Cauliflower

Thomas
7 years ago

So last year I rebuilt my garden. New raised beds and soil. I managed to get it done and still find some broccoli and cauliflower plants. The plants were doing GREAT. Many weeks in, heads starting to form and plants are very healthy. Until. I go out one day and I see that something has been helping itself to the broccoli. Several plants gone. I realized I was going to have to protect them and went about my yardwork. I checked a couple hours later and a couple more were gone. Whatever it was had the nerve to eat them when I was out and about the yard. That rules out deer though I had already since the woods behind us were torn down in favor of a housing development. :(

I put up a crappy makeshift fence about 3' high around the bed and that seemed to deter the critters from being able to get to the plants. I replanted but that high of a fence made gardening difficult and the garden got out of hand, due to other issues as well. I was going to make shorter permanent fence structures around the beds but my son designed a wonderful creative raised bed with ODD shaped beds that do not really accommodate a nice looking fence. I was thinking maybe a netting might be better than a fence? I could attach some posts to the beds and then support the netting on the posts.

Questions: what might have been eating the broccoli? I think maybe rabbits?

Will the netting deter the critter enough that it'll leave the plants alone?

Many thanks

Thomas

Comments (16)