SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alma_williams8989013

Fire in kitchen; restoration not going well - long

7 years ago

We were moving from one home to another and the DH set a cardboard box on the gas stove. While no one was there, a cat turned the burner on and set the box ablaze. By the grace of all things Serendipitous, DH returned to the house on Christmas Eve to be greeted by alarms going off and a house full of black soot and smoke. He got the burner turned off, the fire out and called insurance. And the fun began....

Not only do I think the settlement was insufficient, it took me forever to get a list of all things Service Master took from my kitchen. And 2 and 1/2 months to get photos so I could see what they left off. They stripped my kitchen down to studs and still have not begun to rebuild. Instead, they're repainting the entire house and have used a paint that was incorrectly mixed and is the wrong color!!

I am so frustrated, I could scream. I keep getting assurances that they "will take care" of me, but I'm not feeling the love. Please share any advice you have based on a similar experience. Should I forget talking to these hired hands and go straight to my agent? How did you manage?

Comments (4)