SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hominamad

Advice about a fence in backyard

hominamad
7 years ago

Hi - I have a small backyard which is somewhat narrow. On one side of my yard is a tall, ugly, chain link fence that divides my property from a church which is adjacent to me. Obscuring the fence is a line of out-of-control arborvitae. I want to get rid of the arborvitae, but it will then fully expose the chain link fence. I can't touch the chain link fence because it belongs to the church, but I'm considering getting rid of the trees and putting my own fence in front of the chain link one.

The few concerns I have: The church fence is quite high. I'm afraid if I put a fence in front of it, that is high enough to cover it, it will make my yard feel closed in. Would it look bad if the fence in front doesn't go all the way to the top?

Also, I'm not sure what type of fence would look best. Was thinking of just doing a solid, white vinyl one, but am open to other ideas.

Finally, once the tree line is gone, I can't decide if I should replace it with flower beds, or just plant grass to go all the way up to the fence. I think grass to the edge would make the yard feel bigger too.

Here's some pics to help. Any advice would be much appreciated! The last pic is my neighbor's backyard - where she has the type of fence I'd like to do, except in her backyard, the chain link fence has sloped down, and is not really visible behind her fence.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting