SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redthreaddiy

Garden Along Backyard Fence - HELP!

redthreaddiy
13 years ago

Hi!

My husband and I are planning to make a large garden in our backyard against the fence and against the side of the garage (white structure)

We know we want it about 5 feet deep, but we definitely don't want it to just be a straight line all the way down. We are making an L shape, where the fence garden is connected to the side of the garage garden.

We aren't sure about what kind of shape we should be doing. Are there any examples or ideas that anyone has?

Also, we aren't sure about what would look nice there. We have a TON of plants, but right now they are all jumbled together in our front garden. It looks like a true mess, so we will need to transfer the majority to the backyard garden when it's finished.

Does anyone have ideas for plant layout? We don't really know how to make a garden look 'nice' and what plants go well with what, since everything is jumbled together at the moment. Here are the plants we have:

Lots of different Asiatic Lilies

Lots of different Hostas

Lots of different Daylilies

Some Different Cannas

Lots of different Dahlias

Different Alliums

Chives

Ranunculus

Oregano

Bleeding Heart and Dwarf Bleeding Heart

Lily of the Valley

Different Peonies

Different Bee Balm

Gladiolus

Tons of Daffodils and Tulips

Strawberry and Raspberry plants

Lots of different Irises

A rose bush that needs to stay in the backyard (that is where the gaping hole is)

I have a start-up of Rose of Sharon, that I wanted to replace that hideous tree on the right with. Does that seem like a good idea? It's like a weed tree that was NOT planted there and grew out of control (the bright green one)

I have several low bushes, and several other perennials.

Balloon Flower, Bellflower, Tiger Lilies, Turtlehead, Freesia, 2 different coneflowers ( white and purple) , Different Mums, Black eyed susans, different daisies, some vegetables, and the list goes on.

I was thinking maybe the food/herb/vegetable/fruit garden on the side of the garage, and all of the other plants along the fence. I just have to get this straight!

Comments (11)