SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doug_rohde

Amateur orchardist in need of your experience and guidance on design

doug_rohde
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, everyone. I hope this finds you well. The orchard build site is in USDA hardiness zone 7a outside of Echo, OR (but darn close to Zone 6b) on a peninsular ridge 400 feet above a river and will be shielded from the near constant winds and critters with the help of a 10’ concrete wall enclosing about .77 of an acre, with drip irrigation, good drainage, and rich, loosened soils brought in from elsewhere, which will include manure additives.

I will bring in a 3-phase, 7.2 kV power from a line located about 200 yards away to the SE, and my well allowance is 15,000 gallons a day.
I want to have a specialized, organic garden and orchard featuring a variety of fruits and nuts that are suited for the region, which is very hot and sunny in the summer but can get very cold and have frosts well into the spring. Please see the attached image, which outlines some species reputed to be especially hardy (at this point I have only taken the word of nursery tree descriptions).

I am very new to this and supremely grateful for your thoughts and experience. Of the fruiting tree species that are known to thrive in this zone, what do you think of this layout and its potential for disease-resistance, cross-pollination, etc? Of course the interior walls can comfortably support any number of other fruit varieties via trestle (such as a really cool Siberian kiwi, as well as blueberries and grapes), but all trees and bushes should ideally require limited maintenance beyond annual pruning and weeding.

I believe I have comfortable enough room for 140 semi-dwarf fruit trees spaced 10’ apart (is this spacing adequate?). I am committed to doing this right from the beginning so that these trees and plants may be babied and thrive for generations (I am 34, married, and have three kids who I want to be part of developing and eventually inheriting this).

I want this to be a dream orchard/garden, as I will also create raised beds for vegetables.
It is important to have a tentative layout of the trees and bushes at this early stage so that the planning and construction that follows is aligned with and considerate of the irrigation and other demands of the trees. I should also mention that I would like to keep all of the trees at or under 10', so semi-dwarf or other types that do not grow too high or wide.

What are your thoughts? If you believe one or more of the varieties listed are not ideal, why and what would you replace it with? Are the varieties named here optimal pollinators? What about the best irrigation system? Anything not here that you would add? :) I tried to make rows 23 and 24 early-season apples and 25 and 26 late-season apples. Thank you so much for your time, it is really appreciated.

Comments (14)