SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom

Guest Room Amenities

mojomom
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are building a new house in a resort areas and expect guests for extended stays of a week or so. The guest room long and realively narrow, but will have a king bed, a seating area, a tv viewable from bed or the seating area small ensuite with a nice shower only, and a large closet. Reading lights on each side of the bed, alarm clock.

The smaller items I am planning on stocking with:

nice towels

extra pillow of varying softness

an extra banket and probably also a throw

basic toiletries in case something is forgotten,

basic sun screen and chapstick, given the dry cold climate.

basic fist aid-ibuprofen, alleve , pepto, baindaids and ointment

a carafe for water,

lint rollers (we have dogs)

What can you think of that would make your stay more comfortable?

a few books and magazines?

snack items? (they will also have free run of the kitchen?

small coffee maker and mugs?

(Guests will have laundry access).

Comments (60)

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Me too! It sounds like a great space.

mojomom thanked gsciencechick
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

K pods: coffee, tea, cider

Paper, envelopes, pens, pencils, scissors, tape

aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, diphenhydramine, claritin, immodium, pepcid

mojomom thanked MDLN
  • Related Discussions

What Makes a Good Guest? A Good Host? Guest Room?

Q

Comments (71)
    Well, that's not our problem, for sure. Our Florida vacation guest room has an unfortunate limitation that prevents virtually all abuse -- it's just over 7' deep by 7' wide, with a pocket door, 2 small closets separated by built-in drawers to the right of the door and a single bed to the left, window straight ahead with a little side table below it. For obvious reasons it's used by easy-going singles who aren't claustrophobic, but it's nice and comfy and works very well. Notably (aside from a second single bed, writing table, and reading chair of course), it holds almost everything that article recommends. Extra pillows and blankets of varying softnesses and thicknesses, bath linens, small space heater, fan, are all ready in closets that are otherwise empty for guest use. An adjustable reading light is mounted on a wall so the little side table remains clear, and decor is simple and serene. The drawers are topped by a mirror, and their top holds a couple of welcoming things, including chargers plugged in and ready in a basket. Most of the other useful items mentioned in the article, including toiletries and meds, are waiting in the drawer(s). No TV so far, though I would like to add one, and flowers stay outside, but otherwise... Once the business of switching out the weird jello-wobbly bed that came with the place for a good one with soft, smooth linens was attended to, the rest of the comfort was/is easy and inexpensive.
    ...See More

Powder room amenities

Q

Comments (9)
    that's a nice idea btw if applicable I have four bins in our kids/guest bath. (the vanity is open with shelf in the middle though) Three are dedicated, with a little nice sign(asked my DD to do that..cut out of nice paper and all, and attached with sort of a nice thread) with the name of whoever uses it, one has "Guests" written on it. when I'm not interested in seeing signs -when there are no guests-I just turn the bins the other way)) (if a guest arrives to stay for several days or weeks I write special sign with his name) I tell them is their bin, thy can put there their stuff as not to take it back and forth, and I can put there things they might need. so if you can find a way to mark the relevant drawer in a way that will fit your bathroom, and not read too..corporate-that's an option
    ...See More

guest room aka the giant world map room -how to work with it??

Q

Comments (72)
    Btydrvn -these were a couple room inspiration photos that I found labelled as farmhouse- I don’t want a room with an identity crisis 🥴😂 what should I be calling this look or what style should I be aiming for so I’m minimizing the current crisis. I love the chandelier, wall color and bedding and am trying to make the bed frame work by painting it as it’s a spare that we already had and mom guilt prevents me from buying new. Bench was second hand etc.
    ...See More

Combination Room: Office, Guest, Workout Room

Q

Comments (10)
    You've put some limits on suggestions since you already have the desk and Murphy bed. If you asked before you got the desk, I would've suggested using perimeter of the room and walls for a shelf/desk that wraps around the window walls.Ikea tabletops could probably do the job or just go to Home Depot and get lumber cut to the right dimensions. Add storage below and wall shelves above. This setup leaves room to open the Murphy bed and leave your exercycle when you don't have a guest.
    ...See More
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

No snacks... the kitchen is close by and my friends are friends. And a lot of people appreciate NOT seeing the stuff staring at them when they are ready to go sleep. A land line since cell is terribly dodgy. Wifi access. Queen bed. TV and water, and a device charging area. Bedside stands with lights on either side of the bed. Closet with lots of hanging space. Linens, towels, extra blankets. Paper, notepad, pens. Books. Chair. Waste basket. Coffee maker will be in the kitchen, though. (Most of my friends join me with not liking Keurig). Guest bath will have: aspirin, Naprosyn, OTC antihistamines for allergies (I have pets), towels, shampoo, soaps, extra TP and kleenex.

I do like the idea of a small folding table / TV tray, so some one can set up on a laptop to work. Will have to see how that can work in.

mojomom thanked artemis_ma
  • User
    7 years ago

I recently had guests and since the bath was not attached, I wanted them to feel comfy going back and forth. Ikea has some very nice white cotton robes that I washed, folded and put in a pretty basket with slippers like you find in hotels. Found the wife lounging on Sunday morning in the robe. Made me smile.

mojomom thanked User
  • westsider40
    7 years ago

Luggage rack, flashlight, sudoku and crossword puzzle books. Brochures about local attractions and things to do from local newspapers. Local dining magazines.

mojomom thanked westsider40
  • westsider40
    7 years ago

I bought the ikea Brimnes beds for the guest bedrooms in our retirement home. They have a storage headboard not like the old bookcase headboards. It has 11 inches of flat space jutting out from the wall and storage compartments up and down the sides. Ideal for cpaps. It also has 4 large storage drawers under the bed. So there are handy cubbies for a purse, a book, notepaper, meds, etc.. It is a clutter buster and a terrific invention.

• westsider40
    7 years ago

Grab bars in the shower! And no slip mats for the shower.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Yes to shower grab bars. And a grab bar by the toilet!

• cmm1964
    7 years ago

A luggage rack. I too live in a high tourist area and cringe when I see the dirty suitcases on my bed. Short stay guests tend to live out of their suitcases sometimes.

mojomom thanked cmm1964
  • westsider40
    7 years ago

If you have the space, consider having two queen beds, rather than a king. Can sleep together or not.

• User
    7 years ago

I always have a nice robe and slippers (or flip flops) that are appropriate for the weather of that season. When my SIL was here from Russia, she loved them so much, she took them home with her.

ETA: In the guest bath, I always have an empty drawer for a guest to store their personal items, a small hair dryer and as silly as it may sound, an inexpensive (disposable) bathing cap.

mojomom thanked User
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

A toilet plunger, a toilet brush and basic cleaning supplies easily accessible in the guest bathroom.

mojomom thanked palimpsest
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

The (dearly missed) kswl posted on this about 2 yrs ago. I followed it to a T for our beachhouse.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3182348/what-makes-a-good-guest-a-good-host-guest-room

mojomom thanked MtnRdRedux
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

If I saw a plunger in the guest bath, I'd think, "Uh-oh." But I agree about the cleaning supplies.

mojomom thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • deegw
    7 years ago

You're in Colorado so definitely yes to lots of bottled water (and maybe a little note next to it about how important it is to drink, drink, drink because of the altitude). Personally I would appreciate a few granola bars and some napkins in a cute basket. Especially If I am burning extra energy skiing or up early or late working and don't want to disturb the rest of the house by rummaging in the kitchen.

A plunger under the sink would be discreet and very helpful to a panicked guest. Nobody wants to have that discussion with their host :)

Edited to add - A little hint if you need a plunger and there isn't one around. Wait until the water drains and pump a good amount of hand soap in the bowl and then flush again. It usually works. A talent I learned as a result of raising a child who had an uncanny knack.

mojomom thanked deegw
  • palimpsest
    7 years ago

And glass or some sort of durable surface on the night stands.

mojomom thanked palimpsest
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Very interesting what people think about this since we have a weekend lake home and have lots of guests. They are kind of stuck with just the basics - a clean room free of clutter and stuff on every surface, clean sheets, nightstand with lamp & clock, luggage rack, a chair, empty closet but for hangers & extra blankets, nearby bathroom with plenty of fresh towels, soap, lotion and tissue.

Our guests are usually close friends and I just tell them where the beverages are, to make themselves at home and help themselves and to let me know if there's anything they need. I've been tempted at times to put all kinds of things in the guest rooms but I want the place to feel like home, not a commercial operation (B&B, etc.) Even reading this I thought the idea of robes sounded nice but I have several guest rooms and the idea of laundering a bunch of robes along with all the towels and linens led me to drop that idea.

I need to think about the plunger - it would be mortifying to have to ask for that. I do have one but not in every bathroom.

mojomom thanked 3katz4me
  • LynnNM
    7 years ago

Definitely a hair dryer!

mojomom thanked LynnNM
  • westsider40
    7 years ago

We have wall mounted hair dryers in the bathrooms. We have a trick thing we learned from a friend. Cut out a 'window' from a gallon water jug and then it is perfect to stuff plastic grocery bags. Seems like it can hold tons. I will put one in the main guest bathroom closet, along with a roll of paper towels. And the magic plunger. Thanks for the great ideas.

• User
    7 years ago

I have a decorative wooden box with a big handle that's like a basket. I like to organize toiletries and hand towels in it and I like to put out little dish of chocolates or a favorite candy (if I know what it is). I also give a little tour so everyone knows where things are and can feel at home. However, the people who come to visit us have typically traveled quite far to get here and are on vacation. While I want them to feel at home, I also want them to feel like there was definitely some thought put into their stay.....(for lack of a better way to say it). I've been to visit people who hadn't even washed the hair out of the tub or cleared a place for my suitcase. I can't even describe how that made me feel.

mojomom thanked User
  • 3katz4me
    7 years ago

Ya, we visit some friends and the guest room is so full of stuff that you can hardly move and after you put your two bags on the floor you're practically trapped. Love the dear friends and enjoy visiting but.... I've never been a visitor where it wasn't clean other than one of my relatives that I only stayed once. Next time I got a hotel room.

mojomom thanked 3katz4me
  • User
    7 years ago

Ahem...

mojomom thanked User
  • yeonassky
    7 years ago

Your guest room sounds lovely. Your guests are going to feel very welcome. :)

An electric blanket would be great for me. I get cold and DH hogs the covers. Di

Yes to some snacks and cups for water. Packaged nuts are nice. :) . DH is a snacker.

There are plungers in cases and they also sell a plunger holder on amazon. A bit more discreet at least. I have a plunger in every bathroom just in case...

mojomom thanked yeonassky
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I say no to the snacks. I stayed at a relative who had the most delightful cookies and I ate them all. I found out from another relative that host commented on how I wolfed them down, ha. Dang it, I was hungry! I arrived late and didn't want anybody to fix me food nor did I want to mess on someone else's kitchen. Cookies were perfect. But why put them there if you are going to comment on who ate/didn't eat? I was mortified and now bring snacks if I visit that particular person.

mojomom thanked bossyvossy
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

If not a luggage rack, then a bench at the food of the could be a good place to put a suitcase. Another thing would be an ironing board and iron. A good supply of empty hangers would be nice as well.

mojomom thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Regards robe and slippers... Everyone I know is of so many different sizes? Seriously? Do you stock a whole store-sized wardrobe? People I know bring their own night garb without question, as do I when I visit them.

I can see a plunger in each bathroom... but nuts? Do I throw them out if uneaten (since I certainly CANNOT eat them) between guests? So they don't go stale? This sort of waste is truly irritating.

I do agree with a place for guests to open suitcases at the base of the bed.

Lots of hangers, yes. However, I don't even own an iron for myself... Hmmm.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Adding to stuff I posted above: I'd have a flashlight available, just in case, probably never used. I'd minimize Clutter Pillows. That's the only thing I've ever hated in visiting elsewhere. Wondering what to do with the dang things. Just enough pillows to sleep on, and some real pillow (not clutter pillow) choices for guests to add to the pillows already on the bed for their personal head/sleeping comfort.

• deegw
    7 years ago

artemis, I don't think anyone is suggesting that people purchase food that they hate or will go stale quickly :) If you eat granola bars, nuts, pretzels, etc, buy box of snack sizes to put in the room. If your guests don't eat, you can eat it yourself. And you won't be out the $3.

mojomom thanked deegw
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

d_gw, I don't eat any of those items you mentioned. Most snacks I do eat tend to be refrigerated. And people I know are not intimidated about visiting kitchens.

• deegw
    7 years ago

Well, then don't buy any room snacks for your guests :) No big deal.

mojomom thanked deegw
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Not snacks to tuck into the room, for sure. As noted, no one is shy about visiting kitchens hereabouts!

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

One extra note: my upcoming guest bedroom is a Pet Free Zone. I did have one friend complain about that, wanting to bring a dog when I'm eventually ready for moving in and having guests. No, I have friends who are dander-sensitive, and while I'll clean the rest of the house to the utmost, that bedroom (and it has it's own access door to the outside) will be entirely dog and cat free. If you spend 8 hours more or less, sleeping -- I want you to have a restful sleep. None of my cats nor future dogs will go in that room. Benidryl for short term visits... fine. Overnight or longer... Not if I can help it!

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Stayed in B&B w/ kitchen privileges, also had a small basket like this in the bedroom with several miscellaneous snacks, nuts, pretzels, chocolate, granola bars, an apple & banana. Very thoughtful touch.

• User
    7 years ago

Artemis, I actually buy the robe and slippers specifically for the person(s) coming to stay so I know they will fit. It's something that can take a lot of room in a suitcase and every one of my guests has used and enjoyed them very much. My SIL took hers home and others have asked if they could keep theirs in the closet for the next time they visit. My SIL was the first that I did that for and I will never forget the smile on her face when she came down stairs in her new robe and slippers. It was obvious that she really appreciated it.

When it comes to towels, I also like to put towel turbins in the box I put together which have been quite popular as well.

My guests also tend to come around lunch time or later in the in evening and we're an hour from the airport. Most of the time, they are starving, so I also make sure I have a variety of fresh deli meats, as well as a couple of different breads and cheeses for quick sandwiches.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

mdln... not a B&B here, there will be plenty of edibles in the kitchen, but I do love that basket!

lukkiirish... I'd hate to guess wrong on a guest's robe size!!! But you do remind me to provide extra long (ie, beach-sized) towels my guests can wrap themselves up in. I will need to come up with some seriously fun ideas!

I am planning on cooking up a storm and feeding guests like crazy when they arrive. Yes, some will arrive when yours apparently do. I think one reason I really love guests (other than for themselves) is an excuse to cook.

PS: looking into "towel turbins". I THINK I know what they are... but they may be nifty for more!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    7 years ago

mojomom -I really appreciated the feminine hygiene products that a thoughtful host had in the guest bath along with the other items you mentioned.

mojomom thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

For a guest suite, another thing I would have available is a night light, maybe 2. One for the bathroom is perhaps an extra a guest could use in the bedroom if they wished to plug it in. Some people wake up more clear headed than others, and a bit of light to find one's way into the bathroom could be welcome. If it is something that a guest does not wish to use, it is simple enough for them to unplug/turn off as well.

mojomom thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

@ artemis, are you the OP?

The OP asked, "snack items? (they will also have free run of the kitchen?" and I was responding to that question.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

ETA: skip this post if you are eating

dgw, I think your "what to do if you don't have a plunger" tip has just made #1 on my list of all time favourite GW helpful hints, It has pushed "only feed your cat wet food so it's poop doesn't smell" down to #2. Love this place :)

• smiling
    7 years ago

Has anyone mentioned a small pair of scissors? Guests almost always do a bit of shopping, and it's hard to get those hang tags off without scissors (at least it's hard for me with weak hands). Scissors are also useful in many other tasks related to travel, so I keep a pair of scissors in my guest room, together with a tiny sewing repair kit. The little sewing kit is such a simple way to express yourself, but in a subtle way. My guests nearly always mention how much they like the lovely little kit I've provided for them ( a sweetly-padded little ribbon-tied envelope with just basics of needles, a few basic mini threads, buttons, and a few safety pins).

• mrrogerscardigan
    7 years ago

I'd add a fan. I sleep hot, and I also like the white noise. (And yes, it is all about me.)

• julieboulangerie
    7 years ago

I must add: a trash can in the bathroom with a plastic bag liner. I'm a woman in my mid-thirties and sometimes make trash, that uh, shouldn't go in an unlined waste basket.

• User
    7 years ago

Artemis, I'm a cooker too! When in doubt, I just go large, terry and wrap around! Ha!

Towel turbins, they come in Bamboo, Micro Fiber or Cotton. I hate the feel of the Micro Fiber and Bamboo..found these cotton ones on Amazon. They are also available at Sally's Beauty supply.

ETA: Talk about getting creative, when my sisters came, I put some Evelyn and Crabtree in the box I made, including the 60 second hand fix, that was really a hit.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

No to the snacks (my guests are free to make themselves at home in my kitchen), and yes to a nightlight near the bathroom. Yes to the folding luggage rack, my guestroom bedding is ivory. I added a tchotchke to the dresser top yesterday...a heavy trinket tray/jewlelry/ring/watch holder. Or am I the only one who has left a bracelet on a hotel room nightstand ;0) I thought if using the room myself, I'd appreciate some little safe memorable place to park the jewelry overnight. (the hotel did mail my bracelet)

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I am still thinking about this thread and am amazed at the care and attention to detail so many of you place on the guest room. Definitely would want to come visit you. However, I can't help but think some rooms might look like a fancy hotel, thus taking away from the very coziness a person hopes to attain. Besides, for me, I wouldn't want to make it soooo nice that certain individuals might become too frequent of visitors and then I might have to develop a "loyalty program" for such folk....

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

If you have big dogs you might want to eliminate the lever style door handles. In my last house my Rottweiler liked to open the bedroom door and stare at my sister in law while she was resting.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Maybe it was her BF in another life, ha

• User
    7 years ago

Bossy, I can totally see your point about the feel of a hotel but I also think that the way things are presented has a lot to do with it. For example, a lot of the things I make available aren't obvious when you look in the room. Everything is kept in a place that's put away and I let the guest know what's available to them when they settle in.

I wish frequent visits was a problem we had! Unfortunately, we live so far from our family members that we want them to come visit more, not less. I also rather someone complain that I tend to go over the top then for them to leave with the feeling that their visit didn't mean anything to us or that they didn't feel welcome.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

Packages of ear plugs and eye masks. Also second a small fan.

Mini sewing kit and mini tool kit-sometimes zippers break or you need a pliers for a ring that has come loose on a bag.

Extra USB cables for charging phones & devices-I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten one when travelling and had to go buy one.

If there is a television in the room, include a tv listings guide-every cable/satellite provider has a different guide and it can be a pain to figure out where to find your favorite channels.

List of websites of local attractions/eateries.

I didn't see toothpaste or mouthwash on your list of toiletries-those are always helpful to have on hand. I actually save the bottles of those and the shampoo/lotion from hotels I go to and use them in our guest room (ours are usually only overnight guests).