SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_benoit25

March 2017 citrus PICS, show your trees

Kevin -zone 4b
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

What do your citrus look like this month?

Comments (170)

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    7 years ago

Nice work Tom! Last Thursday was grafting evening for me and I wish I had taken pictures. I am trying a couple of different rootstocks per Florida's experience - C54 and X639. Lots of cutting, wrapping (cussin') and now fingers crossed looking at the incubators with plastic bags.

I do want to comment on the c35. Just as Ev said; vigorous and rather fast growing. I really like the tree performance on c35. However, Carrizo has shown to be more cold tolerant - but - and its a big but... took an additional year to gain traction in the ground, and seems to require a more acidic soil (or at least liquid food).

I will post some landscape pics... George

7 years ago

March 15th pics:

Sanguinelli in the foreground, Gold Nugget back... both with fruit that is sweetening up.

Sanguinelli close up.

Gold Nugget close up:

• Related Discussions

I'll Show You Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Wednesday March 5

Q

Comments (20)
    Wanda,i don't think i have ever seen so many cardinals in one place in my entire life.What beautiful pictures you have.You should send that one and others into Birds and Blooms magazine.I don't want your snow but i'd love to have your birds.That's a lot of finches also,and how do you clean that finch feeder.Mine is half that size and is a bear to clean as it doesn't come apart and the big bottle brush barely reaches the bottom of it. To everyone else your pictures are great as well.I love this post and come everyday to see what pictures you have posted. TFS Kathi
    ...See More

Show us your gardens - a photo thread - March 2017

Q

Comments (8)
    That does look hopeful, spedigrees, and water in the brook is a wonderful thing. I second the pancake placement, Jane. As if the cold snap wasn't enough, the NWS is talking about "... Elevated risk for fire spread today... Even drier air will overspread southern New England today with minimum relative humidities only 10 to 20 percent expected across much of the region. Northwest winds will not be as gusty as Saturday, but still quite strong with frequent gusts around 25 mph. This combination will lead to an elevated risk for fire spread. Winds should diminish fairly quickly early this evening, after sunset." I do have one unexpected sign of impending spring. My clivia 'Golden Dragon' has never bloomed in the winter when it's supposed to - it always waits until it goes out on the deck (around the beginning of June) and then blooms in July. But this year it started showing a bud on February 28 - probably earlier but I wasn't looking for one. and today the blossom is looking serious even though it's hiding between the leaves! And last year's flower stalk has two seed pods on it! I think I'll wait and see if the seed pods/fruit ripen and then maybe try to germinate the seeds (if there are any in there). Claire
    ...See More

Your favorite rose pic of 2017-One pic only

Q

Comments (123)
    Hello BenT, Ahh, thank you! Yes, i’ll Have to dig out the name tags I have stashed away. I’m terrible for remembering names of plants. I’m a true blonde. Haha. I recognise you from a previous thread. You help me decide on varieties to buy for my next rose border. Thanks for your help! :)
    ...See More

March 2019 Citrus trees, please, let's see them.

Q

Comments (34)
    Remember those pics with my Meyer completely covered with blooms? Well, here's the same tree, this time completely covered with lemons, lol. I have never seen that many lemon buds survive and start plumping up. I mean, i know many are going to fall, but that's still pretty darn impressive. At least to me. I am now watering (and feeding) my trees twice a week. They're still on a 1 tsp of Vinegar/1 seringe of FP each time I water them. By the time I'm done, water is pouring down the pots and half way up the saucer. Then the fun part starts.... Draining it, bleah. I've just done a Neem drench with my last watering, by adding about a Tsp and a half of Neem oil and a few drops of soap to my water/vinegar/FP. Not taking the chance of an infestation less than a month before they go out. Speaking of which, i can't wait to put them out and have my Dining room back! Not much to report on the smaller tree... Had quite a few lemons already, that are steadily getting bigger. I'll be back to comment on everyone's trees, but I have to go take care of mom for now. God bless, . Atheen
    ...See More
  • stacydkas
    7 years ago

Well, he's looking healthier. I think anyway. Actually had 70 degree weather today so I sat him outside. I think I finally found something for the scale. I've been picking it off, YUCK. I will spray it tonight after it's been inside for a bit. Hope it works.

the leaves at the bottom just came out and started growing like crazy! The new ones at the top got a visit from my darn cat! He got a whole leaf and half another!

• junk4us
    7 years ago

George - how do you like the Sanguinelli? How does it compare to other blood oranges?

7 years ago

Junk: This season's Sanguinelli fruit is just starting to sweeten up. I left 3 on the tree over summer and they became extremely dark red inside, and did not taste appealing (last month). For me (in Danville) I'd say the current season fruit is edible starting now and ripens far later than the Moro, Tarocco, and perhaps SmithRed. Moro and Tarocco (both first season) are good. The single SmithRed fruit is still hanging on the tree and will likely be "tested" this weekend.

BTW: this Sanguinelli has had a rough start, being transplanted/moved 2x since 2011. It was on life support just a few years ago... Here it is in June of 2013.

• season55
    7 years ago

Beautiful trees! Molewaker, great fruit! It seems like you'll have a lot to pick.

I sadly only have four trees currently, but they all seem healthy. No aphids in sight on my grapefruit! Yay!

• Michael O
    7 years ago

Here are some seedlings from a Eureka lemon I sprouted a couple of months ago. The pot doesn't have good drainage, but the last set of seedlings I tried to report in 5-1-1 didn't do so well, so I'm trying to hold off until they're a little stronger. (The straws are to help water evaporate from the stone layer at the bottom of the pot.)

This is my improved Meyer lemon. It's had a rough go of it, but after fighting back spider mites, leaf drop, flower/fruit drop, being repotted into a 5-1-1, and now getting a dose of epsom salt, it's sprouting new growth all over!

The lime tree was doing so much better then the lemon tree was a few months ago, but a month or so ago it started dropping leaves like crazy. Now it's dropped almost all, but is strangely blooming like crazy. Not sure if I should be reassured or extra worried. I started combatting a fungus gnat problem last weekend, and am waiting for the soil to dry out a bit more before I go in with round two of the H2O2 solution, but I'm hoping once that's taken care of I can get back to fertilizing, and try and be a petter citrus parent.

Sitting on their ledge where they get full sun the entire morning, and a grow lamp in the afternoon and evening.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    7 years ago

The Meyer lemon is really starting to smell nice!

Also some pics of my natural lawn/backyard for Mike :-)

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    7 years ago

That Meyer blossom is a beaut. But oh Josh, that beautiful green grass makes me want to cry. We won't be seeing green for at least another month!

• Amanda Tyner
    7 years ago

Beautiful trees, flowers, and fruits everyone! I have been patiently waiting for my blossoms to open but since my trees have been moved back inside due to the cold snap, it has been very slow-growing... Hopefully we all get some delicious fruit to form!

I love visiting this garden forum. People come over to my house and they are like, whoooaa you have a lot of plants. I laugh because I dont think I have very many, in fact I would love to have more! Its nice to see other people who love growing things like I do!

7 years ago

Vladimir, thanks! What's sad is that all the green grass will be dried and brown by June. Only the rains water the lawn, and those disappear quickly. It's a special time of year when the lawn returns.....

Josh

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Grafting time. Its time for spring.

Danube sweet cherry on north star sour cherry.

7 years ago

My Moro is just bangin' this season!

• User
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone, Beautiful plants!!

Here's the lemon today

• jann_m
    7 years ago

Holy cow Brian! Those trees are really going gangbusters what do you feed those things?! :) Laura beautiful plants as usual! And greenman28 what a beautiful backyard you have so natural looking like you're in a forest!

Its been a colder than usual winter here in vancouver it was snowing and below freezing up to the last couple weeks which is very rare here in mild vancouver but nothing compared to where some of you live of course!

here are some of my pictures they're still out on my covered porch and come may I will have a New Zealand lemon tree I finally found one around my area

My Moro blood orange is flowering now

So many new leaf shoots on my sad orange tree

Some Italian sour orange for marmalade starting to bud

• Jason Robinson
    7 years ago

My trees took a beating this winter. Went into it with 3 nice trees full of leaves, left with one tree with leaves, one without, and one almost dead

I don't have any pics at the moment, but my Meyer Lemon dropped all leaves and got really bad, I don't think it's dead, but its not pretty. Key lime lost all leaves and browned in some spots, majority of it is still green though. The only one of my trees that did well was Tangerine. All the leaves are still intact.

Was rough, had a bout with spider mites, plus being in Alaska isn't the greatest for getting natural sunlight in the winter. Supplemented with 2 different grow lights but that didn't appear to help too much. I think they we're mostly preventing them from completely dying though. I'll have to rethink my strategy going into next winter and try something new in terms of keeping them well lit . We're finally getting some daylight now, so I've been able to move them around the house and let them get some sun exposure, hopefully it's not too little too late

• qaguy
    7 years ago

Having a banner year so far. Must be making up for last year or two.

Here's the Bearss Lime

The Kara Kara Orange

And the Meyer Lemon

• Kevin -zone 4b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wish I had weather like some of you guys in the winter months (without your wildlife of course) I'll take mooses and bears over snakes, crocs and spiders any day. Do you sometimes get critters nibbling on your trees? Wouldn't want bobcats or deers around my lemon tree this summer hahaha

• qaguy
    7 years ago

Kevin - I'm in California. Few snakes and spiders and even fewer crocs! I'm in the foothills of the San Gabriel Valley so we do have bears, mountain lions and deer in the area. The SGV was prime citrus country during the late 1800's and early 1900's. In fact, my home was once an orange grove.

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    7 years ago

Sunrise yesterday was nice, snapped a few pics with my trees in the foreground.

Rio red Grapefruit

Blue sky's · More Info

Oro Blanco on left and Key Lime on the right

Blue sky's · More Info

Evan

• James (zone5b)
    7 years ago

Here's my seedling lemon tree planted last year. First pic is at end of February. Second is a week or so after getting a full strength dose of Miracle Gro 30-10-10. It has greened up nicely and has new growth coming in 3 different places. What a difference a week makes!

I had given it a couple of mild doses of Foliage Pro but it wasn't having any effect, so decided to break out the heavy artillery. ;-)

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Once again, beautiful pictures everyone. Evan, that sunrise and blue skies photo is absolutely gorgeous!

James, your seedling lemon tree is looking good! What a difference in the pictures. I have had great results using the 30-15-10 fertilizer and it sure does help green up the leaves rather quickly. Vinegar in the water helps also..

I see a lot of lovely citrus pictures with trees that are loaded with blooms. I cannot wait until my citrus get to the point where they are loaded with opened blossoms instead of some blooming here and there on the branches.

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Here is an update on my citrus seedling that came up in a compost pile with my banana plant late last summer. It is doing well, although something nibbled on the lower leaves this winter!

As you may remember, my beautiful Nagami Kumquat tree passed on late this winter, and I saved a few fruit to save seeds from. I had six seeds that I planted and all six germinated. The first to germinate took a month to sprout up, with the rest slowly emerging within a week or two. I am happy. It will be interesting to see how they do in the long run.

Hirado Buntahn Pummelo, buds and blossoms. It smells heavenly .

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    7 years ago

Look at those bud clusters! Beautiful!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

I enjoyed the pictures.

Out to the back country with the boys Fishing, Hiking, and especially etc, etc, and more etc.

6b Steve

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Relax and have fun, Steve! It sounds like my kind of day!

Thank you, sunshine! I sure wish they would last longer, but I enjoy them while they last. Thank goodness for pictures! :)

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Jinnylea beautiful blossom's I not sure about you but my favorite citrus blossom has to be from the Pummelo such an intense scent .

Brian

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Thank you..The Pummelo blossoms sure are beautiful and intoxicating, Brian. One of my favorites for sure. :)

• Carlos López
    7 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm hopefully not too late here, just registered recently.

Here's the story of my lemon tree.

This is what it looked like back in 2016-05-15, I brought it from my grandma's house and Is the first tree I've ever owned or had to take care of.

About a week later my dog decided she didn't like citrus and shred it to bits. I saw the roots were undamaged and decided to plant it again and see what happens.

Needless to say how pissed and sad I was, sighs...

And this is what it looks like today :)

It's bursting with sprouts, I'm considering to take off a few.

Citrus aside..

Pomegranate, this is just one of my 8 others that germinated

An odd apple tree growing in the caribbean (which unintentionally and unknowingly went through the cold moist stratification process, meaning the apple was on my fridge for 2 months and when I finally decided to eat it, the seeds had germinated so I planted it)

To my surprise planting/growing trees has turned out more addictive than I thought hehehe ^_^

Oh! almost forgot, here's a pear sharing home with one of my pomegranates.

• stacydkas
    7 years ago

Yes Carlos! I find it addictive too!! Even if I'm VERY new to all this! I have started frome seed: lemon, grapefruit, kumquat, key lime, mandarin,and blood orange ... The weather here is horrible, I just hope I can keep them all alive. ☺

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Carlos, what great story of survival! I love how it looks today..One of my favorite tree fell off my roof this year and broke entirely in half. It was mu fault but least to say I was very upset about t.

Every one else, amazing trees, pics and stories..Thank you!

• Carlos López
    7 years ago

Thanks Stacy and Mike :)

Funny thing is, I moved to a 1st floor apartment like 3 months ago and luckily I can use the side alley (where my lemon tree is), but I'm already thinking that I need to buy a piece of land to have a big yard so that I can plant all the things I want and turn it into a little jungle hehehe

At my grandma's place, this was the day I picked my lemon tree :)

And some other cuties :D

Well, I better create an album on my profile to share the rest, sorry to spam the citrus post.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

No such thing as spaming this thread with such beautiful pics!! Love them all! What is that second pic up from the bottom with all those flowers and do they smell good? NIce

• stacydkas
    7 years ago

"Grandmas place" looks WONDERFUL!! My kids are freaking out asking me what the heck we are going to do if all my seedlings "make it"... They think I'm nuts!

• pgde
    7 years ago

Wow - great pictures everybody. Following up on my earlier posting of my in-ground trees, here is a picture of the final outcome from my Valencia tree. No it isn't Tropicana but just reusing the bottle. Took about 45 minutes to an hour to squeeze this manually. This was about 20% of this year's crop:

• Carlos López
    7 years ago

Mike, I have no idea hehe I'll have to ask my grandma when she returns to the country.

Stacy, it is a good place to go and spend time with the family. If the property was mine, I would have done a better distribution with the trees (OCD style hahaha) Also my friends say the same thing, "where are you going to put them?", "dude, you need a yard" or "ha! from software developer to farmer, nicely done carlos" hehehe

Pgde, that's my life goal, plant, harvest and consume whatever I can. They taste so much better because they are grown with little to no pesticide nor production rush and because that's the fruits of your efforts as well :) enjoy the juice :)

• pgde
    7 years ago

Mucho gracias Carlos! El jugo de naranja era muy dulce. :) BTW, what kind of tree is the third picture down?

• Carlos López
    7 years ago

Pgde, whew! took me a while to find it, but here they call it "Flor de mantequilla morada" which translates to "Purple butter flower", but the actual name is Purple Allamanda :)

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    7 years ago

Here are my citrus . Meyer, Tahoe Gold, Satsuma, Golden Nugget, Dwarf Navel and Mex Lime

• Carlos López
    7 years ago

Nick, wow the smell there must be sweet @_@

I hope I'm alive for when mine starts to blossom XD

• Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    7 years ago

After a very unique and wet winter in here NorCal, my little citrus trees are looking good (except for the marsh grapefruit, but he's making a comeback).

You will see a companion plant all around my citrus (and all my roses too). It's called Lacy Phacelia and it's a CA native annual that is amazing for pollinators. I sprouted them from seed and they all took off! I know some people believe in not planting anything around citrus trees, but I experimented with this anyways this past season. I noticed something REALLY awesome about Lacy Phacelia... so before you knock it, let me tell you about it! ;)

Eureka lemon...

WA navel orange...

Clementine mandarin...

Mexican lime...

Meyer lemons...

You will see the Lacy Phacelia are barely starting to bloom.

Lacy Phacelia (foliage, not just the blooms) seems to attract these little flies that are striped green and black and hover around to eat aphids and all sorts of other pests! With all the rain California has had this winter... the aphids are crazy. Some plants have the most aphids I have ever seen personally in my life! But all the plants near the Lacy Phacelia have almost NO aphids! And the Lacy Phacelia itself has absolutely none!! There are lots of those little flies nearby that are eating all the aphids. Sorry I don't know bugs that well so I'm not quite sure what they are, but I think they are hover flies ... and I know they are hungry!

Very interesting! It's quite a noticeable difference. If that's the case, this is definitely going to be an annual addition to my yard! I tried Lacy Phacelia initially to help with pollination, but this is an amazing and unexpected happy surprise!

They are also an annual, germinate really easy (in my yard), pull up really easy, and supposedly 4% nitrogen, so if you compost, they are a good nitrogen fertilizer source. :)

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    7 years ago

Cori Ann thanks for the info I might plant some by my hot pepper plants this year. I grow around 75 plants every season :)

7 years ago

Cool Nick! I noticed the best benefit when they are planted right up next to and surrounding other plants, not just in the general vicinity. Have fun! :)

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Nick, my God!!! Seeing all those buds about to pop open makes me appreciate how much they LOVE SUN, the kind I will never be able to give mine unless I move! I guess I will just have to be satisfied with a pinch of those blooms on mines...)

Cory, NICE~~~!

Page...That looks mighty tasty...Good job!

Carlos, muchas gracious !

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Wow Cori Ann. I needed those in my greenhouse this winter. What an invasion of aphids I had/have. I'll have to see if I can find some of those seeds.

Cory

7 years ago

Here's where I got mine Cory. http://www.americanmeadows.com/wildflower-seeds/wildflower-species/lacy-phacelia-seeds

Let me know how it works for you if you try them!

7 years ago

In a greenhouse... you could probably even plant them in pots all around your citrus. That way you won't worry about root competition, but you should still get the benefit!

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Thanks Cori Ann.

Cory

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    7 years ago

My Satsuma moved outside. Loaded w blooms. Makes a nice potted specimen. It has become an alternate year bearer I think. Little to no bloom last season. Heavy the year before.

This is a hardy Citrandarin blooming. Hybrid between mandarin and Poncirus trifoliata, likely one called US-852 that was developed in Florida as a rootstock for commercial citrus. Has been known to survive many years and even bear fruit here in zone 7a. But was killed during vortex years. Perhaps if it had a tarp thrown over, it may have survived. This one may go in the ground this summer.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022