SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbenoehr

Help - Snake Plant dying - overwatered???

kbenoehr
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, I haven't got much experience with snake plants and when I bought this one a few weeks ago I was told they don't need much water and to keep it quite dry. But that if the leaves start to shrivel up on the sides, this is a sign of it drying out and that I should water it. I kept it quite dry and soon enough the leaves started wrinkling on the sides and looked like they were drying out. So I watered it a bit. But nothing changed. I gave it a bit more water, but it stayed the same. I then started to think that actually I might have overwatered it, as the top was really dry, but the soil at the bottom of the pot was quite wet. I took it out of the pot to let the soil dry, but the condition didn't improve. So I decided to repot it in cactus soil as recommended on some forums. I did this yesterday and the roots looked healthy to me - checked some videos online on repotting snake plants and the roots looked the same. But the bottom of the plant, where the leaves all come together was actually quite wet. So I really think that I overwatered it. I have now put it into the cactus mix and NOT watered it yet. But I don't know how long I should wait and if this is even the right thing to do? The leaves still seem dried out rather than rotten...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting