SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greg_rodenhiser

Basement exposed ceiling

Greg Rodenhiser
7 years ago

Okay so in the beginning phases of getting my basement finished. Got my quotes and am about to hire the contractor. Our basement has almost 9 feet from the floor to the ceiling (rafters). I want to keep/embrace this height and make sort of a loft look. So my contractor is going to pull down all the insulation (the walls will al be insulated) from the ceiling. My plan is for me to then paint the entire ceiling (rent/buy compressor/spray gun) a dark matte gray before the drywall goes up. There's not too much up on the ceiling that would be painted over, two pex plumbing lines (1 hot and 1 cold), a couple soft insulated heat/ac ducts (look like silver foil coated), a single gas line, and little electrical for the current basement lights (will get an electrician to add overhead lights). So questions:

1. Any particular type of paint recommended?

2. The mechanicals I listed that are there, any concerns with painting over them?

3. Timing, thinking to do this after the studs go up but before the drywall. What about before or after electrician comes to put in lighting (I'm thinking can lights around paremeter with a row of industrial looking pendant lights down the middle)? Initially think have hime come and put in the wiring and ceiling boxes then I paint and add the actual fixtures myself after?

Comments (13)