SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Fashion Q

MtnRdRedux
7 years ago

I am going to a wedding where the guests are asked to wear black and white. It is an afternoon into evening affair in early June.

I really like this dress (and have to have something at or just below the knee due to my knee injury, and look best in a 3/4 sleeve).

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446655117&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492821507&bmUID=lFJ7ggw

I was thinking that straw and white accessories might make it look summery?

IDK, it's be a lot easier if I looked good in sleeveless.

Comments (88)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I love the black dress and the black and white one you ordered.

If the wedding were a summer wedding at noon or 2 PM, I think the straw accessories would be perfect. But not for "afternoon into evening" - way too daytime then. Wear pearls and perhaps even a hat (if you can take it off later without destroying your hair), and wear shoes similar to these.

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALENTINO-COUTURE-BOW-BLACK-PATENT-LEATHER-PUMP-SHOES-37-6-5-695-/122363180306?hash=item1c7d69f512:g:wssAAOSwG-1WxXcC>;

I have this shoe - reasonably comfortable and a classic.

• outsideplaying_gw
    7 years ago

I love the black dress. For early June and for going into the evening, I think it works well. Yes, of course, i'd keep looking, but it is definitely a contender. I tend to get chilly, so I love the sleeves for going into evening, even if it is inside.

Anglo brings up a good point about straw accessories being more appropriate for an earlier in the day wedding, although, I really love the idea. I am also a girl who loves her open toe shoes in summer. So if it were me, I'd be looking for a peep toe or open toe shoe.

You mentioned your knee injury, and you posted some pretty high heels, so I presume you can do a high heel with your knee? I missed your post about any knee issue. Hope it's doing ok. I would probably look at some cute lower block heeled sandals. BTW, your girls picked some really cute things to wear.

• Related Discussions

S/O: Plumbed steam oven - Q. about drain

Q

Comments (0)
    I know this would sound stupid but I am still going to ask in hopes that the answer can give me some flexibility with the layout of my currently extremely inefficient kitchen. If I have a water line where the fridge used to be, do I HAVE to have a drain? Why can't I use, say, a hidden bottle and drain into it? I doubt that there is so much liquid coming out after one hour of steam-assisted baking that a good size bottle wouldn't hold. That, of course, means that I will - always - empty the bottle in a timely fashion!
    ...See More

Fashion advice please

Q

Comments (43)
    The dress looks great and from what I can see you really don't need hose. I frequent another forum and there is an ongoing &quot;dressing young&quot; thread. Small patterned fish nets are often suggested as hosiery as they are not as heavy as tights but provide a little extra coverage for age spots, veins, etc. I have never worn them but the women who suggest them have very good taste in other items Nordstrom fishnet hose
    ...See More

I am turning into my BFF's mother. Shopping q.

Q

Comments (26)
    I wore those belts years ago. Wide leather straps with interchangeable buckles. They were a work staple for me, with a pair of slacks and a turtleneck. Sadly I sent them to the salvation army when the straps were too small and became an outdated look. Not to say I wouldn't wear the dragon belt buckle today with the right outfit!
    ...See More

Old fashioned chili sauce.

Q

Comments (23)
    Thanks for that ratio, Sharon, I will certainly make the bigger batch next time I make some. At one point you told me that it was about 1/3 of a bushel, so I figured about 18 pounds for a full batch, and that's what I've used ever since. I cook it in the big Nesco roaster and then I hit it with the stick blender to get rid of big chunks and simmer it until it's &quot;thick enough&quot;. By the time I added the vinegar and other vegetables, I got 19 pints from the last batch. And, because I'm a wuss, I often use just a couple of peppers, maybe even just one if they are hot. OK, so I'm a coward, I know it! Can on, LOL. Annie
    ...See More
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    7 years ago

Mtn, Mtn Mtn. You need to wear one of your beloved white blouses and a smashing skirt. A white blouse, maybe wrap with 3/4 cuffed sleeves. Solid black skirt, perhaps a print? (maybe slightly more fitted if you have recently changed shape?) Fancy it up more with some killer shoes and jewelry and there you go. Classy Mtn, just like I have you pictured! ;-) Plus it would look similar to the dress you ordered.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

With a strand of pearls?

• Caroline Hamilton
    7 years ago

I have that Black Halo Jackie O dress in the sleeveless style in both black and a plum color. I wear them often. Classic and very formfitting but not showing lots of skin which is my style. That being said I personally do not like straw accessories with that dress. They feel too casual for a clean lined modern dress. The shoes and bag do not have to be matchy matchy. I would pair that dress with a nude / neutral pump and clutch.

• jojoco
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

For fun I googled "Kentucky derby dresses" since it has the right feel for a June wedding. These were two of my favorite looks ( although with Pinterest, quality is all over the board.) and perhaps a heel that is a tad bit lower (and by that I mean two or 3 inches lower). The dresses just seem more carefree, which is what a wedding should hopefully be.

You certainly have a lot of beautiful options with this bunch of contributors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

Oh, I meant "black and white" accessories, not black accessories and white accessories.

• graywings123
    7 years ago

Mtn: are you annoyed at the dress code for this wedding? I would be.

• MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

Love the black/straw combo but I think the white should be dropped. I would just match the shoes and belt (Raven's belt is my pref) and go with a simple black clutch:

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Graywings, I was thinking that with the restrictions I am wondering if there will be a few people with the same dresses!

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

Sounds like she's a good sport and is having fun with the dress code.

(Me, I'd be in the annoyed camp.)

• chickadee2_gw
    7 years ago

Me too.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Actually,though, everyone could just wear their LBD and add some b/w accessories.

It's those that get a new b/w dress that might see duplicates.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

.....and speaking about black and white dresses, look at Megyn Kelly!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    7 years ago

I like the first dress and accessories best. Classic and understated and a tiny bit dressed down for evening but a nice morph into it.

• deegw
    7 years ago

I was looking for dresses for myself and saw this at Nordstrom. It has a Carolina Herrera vibe. IIRC, you like the look. Me too! Too much pink?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

If you come across a sleeveless dress you like, you can always consider adding a white shrug to cover your arms. June isn't always hot. I was married in mid-June and it was rainy and in the 50s.

If you're afraid it's going to be too hot, you can make a shrug out of a large square scarf that will add pizazz to the LBD in a really flattering way.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

Yes to the black dress, but no no no to the straw accessories. Those are more suited to summer floral dresses.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Maybe you just need the hat and gloves to pull it off lol.

Or, just make sure there is some black touching the straw on the accessories?

There are a few examples online but most have a hideous wedge shoe.

Anyway, it can be done (mixing straw and the black dress) but it's tricky.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Dear all,

Thx so much for all of your input!

No, I don't mind the dress code. The invites are not out yet, so we will have to see if she really does it and if so, how it is worded.

My knee is mechanically fine, it is just that one knee was disfigured in an accident so I tend to cover it. In fact I basically never wear a dress.

Jterri --- IDK, maybe some people just think straw is junk, so they cannot see it with a dressy black dress. But there are some very pricey and very nice straw things. I think it is classic, and I just love straw. I guess it is just like me and decor ...I prefer textures to patterns and colors.

I ordered the Kate Spade b/w/straw belt and they sent me a black sequined thing. I've a sneaking suspicion they are out of stock.

Annie, That is very cool. I do not have many square scarves ( i find rectangles a lot easier to tie) but I would so do that.

D, I saw that too. It is cute but I think it seems kind of lawn party casual. I should probably try it tho... looks comfy too! Thx

In the meantime, I ordered this dress and it just came. I ordered the white and blue, just to see. I must say it is a super-flattering cut. I prefer the blue. I may look for something similar in black. If I were to use one of these, I would have the front slit sewn up and replace it with a back slit. (the knee)

I wasn't sure about the cold shoulder look but I like it a lot, and it is a great cheat if you want something that doesn't read "winter" but covers your upper arms. Dillards, and a bargain at $148 iirc.

• User
    7 years ago

Very pretty!

• Kitch4me
    7 years ago

Oooh you sexy thing! How fun!

• jojoco
    7 years ago

What a fun dress! The sleeves were a fabulous surprise as I scrolled down to see the entire picture.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

The dress is stunning, no matter the color! Fun but classy.

Mtn., I love love love straw! I remember when I had several straw purses at one time. I've been thinking about getting one for summer.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

I like the cold shoulder look. It really does solve the problem of wanting to cover arms, yet feel and look light and breezy if it's hot.

I'm not a fan of the exaggerated bell sleeve though. Perhaps the overall look but with a less fluttery bell sleeve?

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eld, Funny, DH didn't like the big fluttery sleeve so much (but then, we describe his tastes as "Shaker, but without all of the flourishes".) I thought it made it seem sort of festive. Thinking about it, the "puffy sleeves" (hat tip Seinfeld) may also sort of draw attention away from a (thick) upper arm and give it balance. Maybe that is part of the reason it feels so flattering and not sausage-y IYKWIM. I'm going to keep looking around, esp if I have to wear b or w, i'd rather wear black.

Thx Oakley, Jojo, Kitch and Gail.

• missymoo12
    7 years ago

Ok Mtn now you're talkin'! I've been watching this thread but didn't post a comment because although I LOVE the original black dress just did not care for the straw accoutrements, even though I like all you posted and want to see your DD jumpsuit jazzed up with the belt. So yes buy all that but not for the wedding. Just MO.

However, I did find a bell sleeve sheath for you, and didn't post it. Maybe BHWM? Not cold shoulder, and the sleeve smaller, no slit. I figured you would not go for it, given the first dress.

I LOVE this one for a wedding. Or for the Derby with a hat...so fun! Off to find that dress for you.

• missymoo12
    7 years ago

Can't post it but Calvin Klein has a black bell sheath with white piping. Macy's

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Missy, I had seen that. I think it is really nice, but I think I prefer the open shoulder. Also it seems to be above the knee.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

I've been watching, but not commenting. The cold shoulder/flutter sleeve is, to me, 5 minutes of fashion. Even the pattern companies are coming out with these two things fast and furious. I'd like one or the other, but both just read fashion trend and not style.

I love the first dress. Did you see Charlie Rose yesterday morning? Nora O'Donnell and another reporter had that neckline in opposite directions while on camera together. Kinda odd looking. But a current asymmetrical neck in an otherwise classic dress says style.

I also love baskets, which easily translate to your accessories. Texture as opposed to pattern. Good choice.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOl, thats funny about two, dueling, asymmetrical necklines.

I think the fact that the look is very au courant is what makes it fun. And frankly, for $148, who cares if it looks hopelessly out of date in a year. IIRC the first dress was $385; if asymmetric looks dumb in a year I would be sad. : (

Jojoco, I forgot to mention that I also thought "Kentucky Derby" when I was looking for the black/straw combo. And I got this:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

According to fashion police, the latest trend is asymmetrical one-cold shoulder.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

With a kirfuffle!

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I love the newest dress you posted, Mtn. Great price, even if you only wear it once. The big, full sleeve is a nod to Melania who made it popular. I can't see it working for me, who would probably dip a sleeve into the punch bowl or dip or something. I love the look though. I hope they are long enough. That's my problem too being tall.

And speaking of covering knees, mine are so scarred up from knee surgeries I don't even care anymore, but I just don't like to be flaunting anything above the knee at 68!

I love the straw combos for spring/summer. Very fresh. I came across these cute black w/white shoes at Zappos yesterday when I was looking for something for myself. Inexpensive if you decide to go that route, or maybe your girls would like them.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Outside, did you have say a nod to .... totally ruined the dress, LOL! Those shoes are super cute! Love the heel. When i went to the link, i was like, they are black ... but then the video showed the b/w pair.

If the w ends up being strictly b/w, i will keep the dress for other events i have coming up. I came across a little clutch I just love w the blue.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I adore the cold shoulder dress with flutter sleeves. It's divine!

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I saw that clutch too when I was searching a few days ago-- love it!

I usually dislike the cold shoulder look but it really works on the dress. I love the ivory... so elegant.

Speaking of hats, the derby look you posted is adorable! I so love the dress but I fear it's one of those that looks adorbs on a 20 yo and matronly on a 50 yo.

• Fori
    7 years ago

Hey! Don't let Melania take credit for the hippy bell sleeves. Maybe they're more popular because of her. But they've been around. Some of us have been dipping them in the punch bowl for years.

• Arapaho-Rd
    7 years ago

I was looking at this DVF dress for a wedding I have in June also. The sash does not come with the dress and says sold out on DVF website. I've been trying to find it elsewhere so if I do will let you know...

Dress

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update - i did get the Kate Spade floral belt finally, and I really like it. I have lots of things I can wear it with.

The first dress shown, from Saks, looked too matronly on me. But it sure is flattering and well cut.

The white button-down taffeta with the black skirt arrived. Two buttons came off while I was trying it on, and one of them broke when it hit the floor. The skirt was too full, it looked like I was smuggling something. And the overall quality, one step up from Halloween costumes. It was Adrianna Papell; I hate that brand ... i think they really are making single use dresses.

As of now, the cold shoulder with the Elizabethan sleeve is still in the top spot, but I may have to find it in black. Bride is waffling on dress code, so we will see!

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Whoa! How disappointing with the dresses. At least you have a cute belt now. And I'm with you on Adrianna P. Something just always seems off to me with that brand.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay ladies, back again.

I bought the blue, cold shoulder dress above shown at March 2, 2017 at 1:24PM.

I have decided to wear shoes that I have, because they have a decently high heel (3 1/2") but are uber comfortable to walk, dance, etc. I also like tan as it lengthens the leg and they show it with a tan shoe. These are the shoes:

I am debating now over a bag. I want something small-ish. It does not have to be matchy-matchy, but it should not clash either. What is throwing me is ...

1. Usually when I think of navy, I think navy and white, but that will clash w the shoe IMHO. So, for example, this is not a good choice:

And this may also be too white for the shoes:

2. The dress is flouncy, so something very structured will look wrong IMHO, ie this is not a good choice:

3. This seems to tie the blue with the tan the best, but it feels a tad too casual... I am thinking the tassel is more flouncy in mood, or maybe go with the grey clutch and clearly be unmatched.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I'm not usually a fan of the cold shoulder, but that dress is very pretty. I really like it-hope you can find something similar in black. For the bag, I like the 5th one-with the tassel, but the gold seems a little brassy compared to the detail on your shoes. I do like the structure of it, so I think that's the track I'd consider.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

What about navy for the dress?

https://www.markandgraham.com/m/products/monogrammed-park-avenue-clutch/?pkey=cpersonalized-clutches-wallets&isx=0.0.594

Or

Something gold like this?

http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/whiting-davis-crystal-frame-clutch/3647053?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=CORK%2F%20GOLD

There were a few more Whiting and Davis on their site as well.

I was really trying to find a soft gold suede which would be nice too.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

Or...I love navy blue and black patent leather. Do you have a shoe/bag option for that combo?

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I still love that dress. I do like that Kayu clutch, and the blue bauble on top would look great with the dress, but it might be a little too much white. Hard to tell with the photo; it could be more cream/ivory. If you don't see anything else, I'd give it a try since it appears to have some beige tones that would go with your shoes.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

This one from Halston?... suede - a softer gold closer to your shoe color but not matchy: Sorry, I can't eliminate all this white space...

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oly, I really like the simplicity of that, and it is a bit dressier. I think the reason I keep veering toward straw is that it will be during sunlight hours in summer.

Thanks Neetise, I really like the tassel one too. One thing my DD said was that none of my choices, except the wicker/navy one, look like I bought them for the outfit. Hmm.

1929, I love the navy one, but I think I need some contrast. So pretty though. The gold I think is too much unless it were evening and dark, IYKWIM.

I do have black but I still can't get used to black w navy. I know it is "done" but for years it was a no-no.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

oops I read the comment of looking for gold suede thinking you'd written it, but it was 1929Spanish....how about this?

straw clutch

• 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

I'm totally old school, but still rock navy and black patent. Think color and shine.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida