SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Kitchen backsplash designing

artemis_ma
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I posted over in Kitchens asking about tempered glass backsplashes earlier today, as that is my first choice.

Background: I don't really like grout behind my range/cooktop. It is hard to clean and I'm not immediate about doing that. Maybe now that I am retired, I can do something about certain bad habits. I have never lived with tile behind a range (nor have my parents) but I think since I have gotten a range with the controls in FRONT (aging in place concept), maybe I should rethink the semi-gloss painted sheetrock backsplash?

So anyhow, first choice is textured tempered glass, which is what I asked about over in Kitchens. No grout. But I'm worried it would end up rather, um, ugly? Not sure.

Kitchen: All black appliances except range (partially black) simply because all-black ranges were out of my price bracket when I bought this. Coffee maker in coffee station (to the left of range, off screen) also black and SS. Pendant lighting over sinks and overhead fan with lights are/will be ORB. All fixtures and pulls, ORB. Sinks are Silgranite anthracite (black). There will be a wood 2 x 2 foot handmade cutting board to the right of the range, I want to look out when I prep. That wine cooler on the right may well end out in the dining area. Right now it is simply out of the GC's activity.

The wall opposite is a dark sage as an accent. The counter top there is Silestone Eco Luna. The counter top on the counter you see is Viatera Wildwood.

Extreme dislikes: white or off white subway tile. I grew up in NYC and I have no desire to feel like I'm living in a subway. Or, worse yet, in a bathroom in a subway (I remember the restrooms in Grand Central Station before they did something about them.) Subway tile is fine if I don't get flashbacks on the color! Herringbone would be a mess, too, in this kitchen.

I also don't want any stark white anyway. I want something that complements the Canvas Tan paint job on the wall there.

At the moment I am trying to find stylish textured tempered glass where I can backpaint in Canvas Tan, without having the thing look ugly where it is attached. That's my prime hope.

I'd also like ideas as to how much of all this should be backsplashed. I seriously realize that photos posted on line are NEVER color-accurate - I remember ordering one countertop sample that when I got it in person looked like some one had just eaten green peas and sweet potatoes... and regurgitated. It was fine on line. I think I was so disgusted I threw it out. It didn't even make it to trivet status!

My counter top. More green than it appears here. Viatera Wildwood.

I like the above tile. Problem is, I haven't seen a real life version and they don't seem to have samples available. I will call Monday. It is recycled glass so not all the pieces will be the same. That's fine, but will it be too busy/clashing? Size: 7 x 14 inches. Which may minimize grout.

The paint here and on the west wall (which is off screen to the right, this spot faces south).

Ceiling: cathedral wood panel.

Comments (4)