SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kessala51

Tip jars

Kessala M
7 years ago

Hubby and I just shopped at a local butcher shop/deli/small café establishment. I bought one of their frozen meatloafs and Hubby bought sliced turkey and a pint of their chicken salad at the deli.

As we stood at the cash register to pay Hubby noticed a little fishbowl on the counter with a sign labeling it as a Tip Jar. I saw him slip $1 into the fishbowl. We hadn't eaten any food there, we were buying food to take home.

When I asked Hubby his reason for leaving a tip he argued he was helping support small business. I said the business wasn't getting that money, the employees are probably splitting it. And why did he leave a tip anyway? For what? We weren't being served food in the café area.

Hubby and I talked about this during our drive home. I feel this was no different than standing at the check-out at Walgreens. There would never be a tip jar there nor any reason to leave a tip. The person who helped us at the butcher shop was just a deli worker, not a waiter. And I helped myself at the meatloaf freezer.

Hubby is a peace-maker. He cares a lot about what others think of him. I believe he felt almost embarrassed into leaving a tip at a cashier's counter. My theory is unless you're working in a service industry such as a restaurant, nail salon, etc. there's no reason to leave a tip. I worked behind a desk doing accounting and payroll all my adulthood. Should I have had a tip jar on my desk so co-workers could leave me money when they came into my office to pick up their paychecks? That's nonsense.

Am I wrong in my thinking?

Kessala

Comments (43)

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with you. In a situation such as yours, I never would have tipped!

Edited to add: they probably have the jar there for people who order deli sandwiches or whatever to go.

• joyfulguy
    7 years ago

I agree with you, that I don't plan to offer a tip to a checkout person at a store.

But I find your comparison to your suggestion that it'd not be correct for you to have a tip jar on your administrator's desk, to suggest that your fellow employees leave a gratuity is not an exact parallel, for you are/were all employees of the same employer, and in the meat store you were not an fellow employee but a customer.

ole joyful

• Related Discussions

Tilting jars when pulling out of canner

Q

Comments (2)
    Tipping allows food particles or liquid from inside the jar to slip under the lid band - between the rubber band on the lid and the rim of the jar. This can weaken the seal that forms and can allow for bacteria to grow in that location. Assuming that all the jars sealed and that you used safe, approved recipes, then your sauce and pickles are fine. I would suggest you just mark those jars and plan to use them up first. Once you remove the bands/rings, test the seal by carefully trying to lift up on the lid with your fingers. If any of the seal are going to break that will do it. Just refrigerate those jars. After removing the rings, wash the outside of the jars and around the tops of the jars well with hot soapy water before storing. And yes, in the future just leave that water on top of the lid. It serves a purpose and will then evaporate all on its own within a few minutes. Dave
    ...See More

Tomato Tasting in Baltimore (MAGTAG)

Q

Comments (6)
    Hank, You were the Sponge Bob fan weren't you? :-) I don't think it matters weather its green or not for the size contest but I would wait until its full sized! Why short change yourself. Trudi, I can't wait to try your new intersting tomatoes. I did have one intersting one (Berkley Tye-Dye Pink) but I don't think it will have a ripe one in time. My Girls went crazy and we have ribbons up to 20th place. They had a bunch of friends come over and help. We have paint all over the house and on the deck. Should be a good time and thanks for coming from so far away! Greg
    ...See More

Site of the Day - Mar 7

Q

Comments (1)
    that's a pretty good one Casey...its' a lot like that rules of thumb site that I posted about earlier in the week..thanx for sharing!
    ...See More

Smaller home business question :)

Q

Comments (12)
    LL, I really don't know how it works, but I know you can get a paid subscription to blog hosting sites like wordpress, and they take out the host name. Like if you blog was LL.wordpress.com, it changes to LL.wordpress.com. You might check that out and see if it is cheaper than paying for a site like godaddy, although dh paid for a website somewhere and it wasn't much at all. More than I wanted to pay for just the name (he never did anything with it) so we dropped it after paying for nothing for a couple of years.
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

I agree with you. For your purchase, which involved no assembly, serving/running or bussing, you didn't need to feel a tip was warranted.

Tip jars are everywhere!

I got flummoxed in a cafe last week. First time there for breakfast, and you order at the counter and take a number sign to your table where a runner will bring your order.

There was a tip jar, so I slipped a couple bucks in as the person behind our counter fetched our coffees. Then, she rang up the order and when I got the credit card receipt to sign, I saw a tip line.

Ugh! What to do?

Look like I left no tip because no one saw me throw the money in the jar?

I put a couple more bucks in the tip line, but made a note to myself for next time.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

It was just a dollar! I think Bluebell might be right about the tip jar being for the to go sandwiches.

Of course a tip wasn't required so I do agree with you. But, how nice it was of your DH to do it.

Mimi, I know I don't think fast on my feet, but try to be prepared and "bookmark" this for the next time it comes up. You could have said, "Oh, I didn't realize there would be a place for the tip on the receipt, so I put my tip in the jar!"

• Chi
    7 years ago

I don't mind them but I don't usually add anything to them unless I have some coins or someone did something exceptional. I don't begrudge people in the service industry trying to make tips. It's hard work, and the tipping is optional. I've never been made to feel guilty for not tipping.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I got flummoxed in a cafe last week

Tip lines on credit card receipts are simple payment card terminal default software. If there is a tip jar and you left money in it the solution would be simply to write cash on the tip line just as you would if you left cash at the table.

• DawnInCal
    7 years ago

I usually drop the change from my order in the tip jar. But, I've never really given it much thought; the jar is there and I have change and in it goes.

As far as the tip line on credit card receipts go, I never tip that way. I always leave cash on the table for my server just because I don't feel like it's anyone's business how much of a tip I left and everything we do is recorded these days.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

"I don't feel like it's anyone's business how much of a tip I left"

I promise you, no one cares or pays any attention to something like this. Don't convince yourself you're so important that it's otherwise.

If you're really so concerned with public image (I started laughing as I was typing that), what you're doing is worse, it looks like you leave no tip.

• User
    7 years ago

Mimi, I know I don't think fast on my feet, but try to be prepared and "bookmark" this for the next time it comes up. You could have said, "Oh, I didn't realize there would be a place for the tip on the receipt, so I put my tip in the jar!"

Yes! We really liked this place and plan to go back soon. I'll wait for the tip line on the CC receipt next time.

Live and learn.

They were tipped twice. No biggie.

• User
    7 years ago

Speaking of tipping twice, how about when you don't pay attention at a restaurant and you leave a tip. Unfortunately, the restaurant has already added 18% to your bill for a tip! So now you've tipped 20% on top of the price of the meal plus 18% tip! It was my fault for not paying attention and after that one time, I always look at my bill before I pay or tip!

• Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

I don't think a dollar has ever bothered me so much that I would be upset with my husband for being generous.

Someone helped your husband at the deli counter, someone probably making minimum wage.

I don't see this as a right or wrong situation.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I had a career in my early life that depended on tips for a living wage. I had to claim them on my income tax. Then they changed the law that they assess a certain portion of your income as tips whether you've actually received them or not (allocated tips). Plus there is a record of all tips on the cc receipts. So, I always tip in cash, hoping the server is getting some additional $ beyond what she is being taxed for.

I never put money in tip jars at retail businesses.

• User
    7 years ago

Martha Scott

Speaking of tipping twice, how about when you don't pay attention at a restaurant and you leave a tip. Unfortunately, the restaurant has already added 18% to your bill for a tip! So now you've tipped 20% on top of the price of the meal plus 18% tip! It was my fault for not paying attention and after that one time, I always look at my bill before I pay or tip!

That's a sneaky one. If gratuity is added, you're well within your rights to call you credit card company and see if you can dispute it.

It's a bit sneaky to add a tip line when you're automatically charged a certain % (18-20) gratuity already.

• DawnInCal
    7 years ago

Elmer, it has nothing to do with thinking that I'm "so important that people pay attention to something like this." My server knows exactly how much I left as a tip and that is the only person I care about.

Hope you enjoyed your laugh at my expense.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

In Costa Rica gratuities were almost always added, but only 10 %. So, we always gave more.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

I think the only place I've eaten recently where a tip was added for the patron before they received their bill was a club at which my brother is a member....our tab came with a prefigured 20% tip.

I have noticed more frequently though a tip suggestion printed right on the menu. For some reason that annoys me mildly. I don't need to be told what to tip, I'm fairly confident at figuring an appropriate tip myself. Are they assuring before we order that we have enough money to both eat, and tip?

On the menu at a somewhat upscale Portland restaurant where I recently took my mother: "A Suggested Gratuity of 15% - 20% is customary. The amount of gratuity is always discretionary. "

• User
    7 years ago

mimipadv -- I always pay in cash -- so I couldn't do anything about it!

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

As I tried to explain above the tip line when paying with a credit card is part of the processing software. It's not sneaky. It is what it is. Otherwise restaurants would have to use two different types of payment terminals when processing credit cards.

It's not the fault of a restaurant when people don't read their checks. If a tip has been added I have never seen it hidden.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

A restaurant I went to last night (and also another one recently) add a 10% gratuity and pointed that out to us. Since I usually tip 20%, I just add another 10%.

Tom Douglas, at some of his restaurants in Seattle, pays $15 an hour to employees, adds a 20% service charge and prohibits tipping. I think there are more restaurants, esp fine dining, that are moving to this model.

• chisue
    7 years ago

I like to tip in cash because the server gets it *now*, and *for sure*. Anything that goes through the restaurant management can take a while...or shrink in the process.

• socks
    7 years ago

I think you are too hard on your husband (unless you don't have a dollar to spare). If the person gave you good service--friendly and efficient--what's wrong with offering a little extra to someone who maybe makes $10 or so an hour with zero benefits? We need to support people to help us, we need to support small businesses. Or they will go away.

I don't always put money in the tip jar. Like that sullen teen in Starbucks...yuck! Nothin' for her. I know it hurts everyone in the store as they split the tips, sorry about that!

• lisa_fla
    7 years ago

I tip waiters 20% but I think tip jars are getting out of hand. At the donut shop for putting donuts in a box? Picking up take out pizza?

• satine_gw
    7 years ago

I always leave a tip in cash instead of adding to a credit card payment. Some restaurants pay the servers by check any tips that were left by credit card. These tips are then taxed. Making less than 3.00 an hour, these servers really rely on tips whether we like it or not. I wish they would just pay them a living wage.

7 years ago

Satine, minimum wage here is $11/hour.

• Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

morz8- only 7 states apply minimum wage to tipped and non tipped employees. In Texas, a tipped employee makes 2.13 an hour. What state are you in?

7 years ago

Washington, Texas Gem. It's the same $11 minimum wage for tipped as for non-tipped employees here.

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

As someone living outside the US, I really don't understand why businesses are allowed to pay staff a pittance with the expectation that customers will, effectively, pay their staff wages in the form of tips. And why this only applies to particular jobs, such as wait staff, and not others like retail salespeople.

Here in Australia minimum wage is about $20 or more an hour. Restaurants factor in wages when costing menu items, so while they look more expensive than in the US, you don't have to tip so the price is the price.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

In California tips are taxed as a percentage of the sales so whether they are giving in cash or credit card is irrelevant.. Also waitstaff is paid full minimum wage not a tipped wage. With minimum wage rising this is presenting a newer problem for restaurant owner. Cooks and the back of the house have always earned more than servers because they cannot get tips. In some areas voters are voting in higher minimum wages,as much as 25% higher. So that means that the servers wages are nearing the back of house wages. A small business simply cannot afford to give every employee a 25% raise. So restaurants are considering simply having a service charge added to the bill the they can split among all staff. Currently cooks and other back of house workers cannot be given a share of the tips by law. Tips may be shared with front of house workers like busboys.

Also at what wage point do we do away with tipping? It is fine for a family to go out now and then and get excellent service and wish to leave a tip. But how about the 15.00 an hour delivery person or tow truck driver who has to grab a meal out? How do they feel about being expected to leave a 15% or 20% tip to someone who slaps a plate of eggs down for them and makes the same wage they do?

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Some cities are also voting in higher than state minimum wage.

• User
    7 years ago

I see these tip jars at the Starbucks counter. I also see the tip jar at the car wash.

I believe both these are there because someone offered me a service, making coffee or drying my car, so they deserve a tip.

Maybe it's like a hairdresser that we tip after they cut our hair?

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

There are so many restaurants now that are semi-fast food. By that I mean that you order but then someone brings your food to you, refills your glasses (sometimes) and will swing by your table on occasion asking if you need anything. Those places that have tip jars, we leave a tip. We also tip at the car wash where (and when) they give extra attention to the bugs on the windshield or the wheels, etc. A couple of dollars doesn't hurt us.

I will say that if these bills to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour goes through, we probably won't be doing this in the future. I do not agree with this. There is a reason we have low paying jobs with a minimum wage structure. Those jobs aren't for everyone and are meant to be a 'starting job' IMO. When you get up to $15 an hour, this hurts other professions. What do people think educated teachers, firefighters, nurses, etc make?

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Outside, I understand what you are saying, but even $15.00 an hour is really less after taxes.

The problem is that older adults are now are doing these entry level positions where in the past it was the high school or college student. Jobs are still scarce.

I just quickly googled. The thing is, if you are working full time in a actual profession, you have the ability to move up the ladder and earn more.

According to the BLS, the average secondary school teacher in the U.S. earns an annual salary of $56,760. A 40-hour work week employee would have to earn $27.28 per hour to earn as much over the course of a year.

Entry-Level Incomes in Depth Firefighters

It would seem logical to assume that the lowest-paid firefighters in the bureau's survey were those in entry-level positions. It's true that in each jurisdiction new firefighters earn less than their experienced peers, but the variance between municipalities makes a greater difference. For example, firefighters in New York City start at $39,370 per year. This is comparable to smaller cities such as Louisville, Kentucky, at $40,339, and the regional Cobb County, Georgia, fire department at $38,355. However, Boston starts its firefighters at $60,000, while starting pay in Seattle is $62,856.

• kathleen44
    7 years ago

its hard seeing that some get tips and others that work so hard in other ways do not get a tip or even thought of.

They started putting a charge on our bills of extra saying they is a service charge as its like a restaurant and they are serving you your food you like at the deli. I couldn't believe that at all seeing that and complained about it.

That we can't serve ourselves, used to buy a chicken you could pick up yourself but then you had to ask for those and got charged for them.

Do we get service charged for asking the clerks for help where things are and they take us to them or help in getting something down from too high?

No, so what is the difference then???? They all help you in different ways but

they are helping you.

My job was alot in it and yet come like christmas bonuses, those things, I think alot of jobs got good amounts or something given to them and that is a tip in many ways. And yet for ones in my jobs some of use got nothing and others got something nice.

I think its not fair so many of those things they want you to do and give.

I got tired of went out for lunch and go to this restaurant I go to alot and I got my meal and then she came by once and that was it, she was at the table behind me alot and others and I had wanted extra napkin and she never came back and then wanted my vegetables wrapped up to go and stood waiting and waiting and also to pay my bill and still nothing, I went to this lady who was hostess and we know each other by the restaurant only and told her about it and she went and got a container and put my veggies in it for me and then told that gal to give me the bill and she did and I used my card and didn't leave a tip and told the other lady and she said she will talk to the manager. I get so irked being single eating out alone and get ignored so many times and I literally have to go after them while others do not and that isn't right or fair and expect good tips from doing that, I said enough is enough and didn't leave a tip and I can tip well when treated well. Doesn't matter one or more people, treat us equally and get a good tip or even a tip.

I would be furious if someone touched my card and changed it and would call the police and tell them about what has been done as isn't that against the law touching someone else's card and changing things on it?????

I would tell everyone as telling things by mouth can spread far away as that is so wrong. I would be afraid that others are changing or they are putting even more all the time tips on it.

• User
    7 years ago

I tip because I get guilted into it. I tip my hair dresser. I tip my server in a restaurant. I tip the lady who gives me a massage. I NEVER tip fast food restaurants. I would never tip an employee in a store. I am an employee in a store. If I accepted a tip from a customer I would be written up. We are not allowed to take money from a customer unless it's to pay for the product they're buying. And that money goes into the cash register, not our pockets. ;)

• Fran
    7 years ago

I usually leave my tips in cash. When the bill comes I simply write cash on the tip line, fill in the amount of the bill without tip and sign.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

As long as some people believe tip is meant to reward above average service and some think it is meant to supplement unfairly low wages, We will have this debate and the confusion. I'm not sure what it ought to be but lean towards above average service. I'm conflicted. The skeptic in me also suspects that some people take advantage of the confusion. For example:

this is a little off topic but maybe not. One Christmas I wrote a bonus check to my cleaning service. The owner was super grateful, the owner wasn't part of the actual cleaning team. While I wasn't specific as to distribution, my expectation was that owner share with the ladies. The following spring thru casual chat I learned cleaners got No bonus. I was distressed. Following year I bought smaller gift cards for each lady and nothing to owner. Owner came to me in a hurt mode saying she always shared with her Staff. I don't know who was lying but the cleaning ladies seemed more interested in cleaning my house after the gift certificate episode. I think owner could probably use the $ as much as her employees but I saw it as taking advantage of the tipping situation/confusion for her personal gain. IDK.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

One would hope that the owner would share, but how to know?

I also don't like leaving a tip in those tiny envelopes while checking out at an upscale salon. I always feel anyone could easily pocket it. After all, it is obvious there will be cash in it.

I have a cleaning lady that comes with one other, once in a while more if she has a busy day. But basically it is the two of them. Close to Christmas I will pick a day when it is the two of them and give them each an envelope. A friend of mine who also uses them hands the woman in charge the tip while the others are nearby. Thus they all know there is a tip involved. I prefer my way though.

• sprtphntc7a
    7 years ago

in regards to the added tip of 18% at restaurants, where we live, its usually parties of 6 or more. this just happened to us last weekend, we were 7 and 18% was added to the bill. Luckily, I read the entire bill and just rounded up from $248 to $250....

we got burned before, so now i always read the bill on larger parties!!

i understand the principle of it, but not really happy about it.

in regards to OP: i hate tip jars and only give if its for an animal shelter. usually see those in small businesses

• chisue
    7 years ago

No one *has* to eat 'out'. I am astounded by the reports of how often the Average American -- whoever that is! -- eats outside his home today. It's not *necessary*. It's a luxury, and one that may be severely curtailed by fair wages to employees.

How much do you expect you'll pay for your fruit, vegetables and chicken, and your lawn service, and your laundry, without cheap (immigrant) labor?

People posting to the Hawaii forums on Trip Adviser cry about the costs. They are used to all inclusive compounds and cruises, where labor is Third World. Hawaii is First World, not only because it is a state, but because it is a prosperous state.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

In my neck of the woods you can go to many restaurants at lunch and you'll see the ladies who lunch but you will also see auto mechanics, secretaries, medical staff (going by uniforms) who eat out. People do not brown bag it as much as in the past but I suspect it's more about deciding if you'll spend time food prepping vs having a true break from work any "getting out" for a while. Not a luxury or treat more like a time reallocation thing. Maybe good for mental health but not for overall health--but that's a whole other different topic.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

"People posting to the Hawaii forums on Trip Adviser cry about the costs. They are used to all inclusive compounds and cruises, where labor is Third World. Hawaii is First World, not only because it is a state, but because it is a prosperous state."

I went to Hawaii a few years back. I didn't think of it as first world. IMO, it was closer to third world, but that may be because we didn't stay in the more touristy areas. My ds had gone to Hawaii as a guest of his friend and his friend's family over Spring Break. They had an entirely different experience than our family did going just a few months later. In Maui, he was in an $8000 per week condo. There were white sand beaches and few homeless people. We went to Big Island the same summer and rented a house. I don't remember how much we paid. We saw lots of homeless people. They were on the streets and they were at the beaches living in tents with the whole family. They can't afford to buy houses. The prices are too high. Jobs options for locals aren't that great. The high paying jobs aren't there. We shopped in the grocery stores and WalMart. Prices were high because everything has to be shipped over. Selection was limited. I think the price of fish and macadamia nuts are what surprised me the most. They were high too. even though they were a local product. I'm told other islands are nicer, but I suspect they have sources of income that isn't entirely dependent on the islands.

• Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

We go to Hawaii pretty regularly, the first time was over 40 years ago. We've spent a lot of time on and travelled around all the 4 larger islands. I wouldn't call the state a 3rd World place but neither is it prosperous or affluent for the majority of its full time residents. Especially so if you exclude those of Mainland origin and/or retirees.

I love it there and will continue to go back, but there's no denying that much of the local population forms a poor and under/unemployed permanent underclass as is found in other parts of the US.