SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donwreich

Switching to containers from raised beds... Advice on varieties?

LA Don (So Cal 10b)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I began growing heirloom tomatoes back in 2001 and have been growing in the same spot every year since. I live in Los Angeles and my yard is small, with only one area available to grow 12 plants each season. Every year I amend as much as I can with my own compost, worm castings and other enhancements to help replenish the soil. But the last few years have seen steadily decreasing health of my plants, and without getting into too many details I'm attributing it to soil that simply needs a rest. So this year, I have decided to grow all of my plants in containers. I've done some research and will be using 30 gallon 'smartpots'... fabric containers that claim to provide better results than plastic or ceramic containers, because they provide more air to the roots, keep the soil cooler in the hot temps, and better drainage. I hope I'm making a good choice as they were a bit of an investment.

My question is this... If I'm growing in 30 gallon containers, do I still have to consider varieties that grow well in containers, or can I pretty much grow any indeterminate in a container of that size?

Thanks all...

Don

Comments (14)