SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrypancakes

Raising the soil in large container beds

blueberrypancakes
14 years ago

Hi,

I have Hayward fuzzy kiwi vines planted in 3 large planters. They are trained to a pergola above them. I built the planters and filled them up with a mix of peat and Gardener's Gold Premium Compost. The planters have no bottoms, so they connect directly to the earth below. Because of the 'Fixed' nature of the containers and the kiwi vines, repotting is not really an option.

The problem is that the base trunks of the kiwis are sinking as the organic material in the containers shrinks. So the base trunks now sit in the containers about 5 inches lower than when I planted them 1.5 years ago. I'm afraid that if I do nothing, they'll just keep sinking as the organic material gets used up (or will the vines atop the Pergola hold the plants up and prevent them from sinking more??). If I add more organic material now, it might cause the trunks to rot, but I was thinking I could surrounded the base of the trunks with a rigid plastic barrier to keep compost off them directly, and put compost around that barrier and fill the container back up to the top. I'm thinking it might work to keep them from sinking more.

Any other suggestions? Photo link is from 2008 summer (the vines are much larger after 2009 summer). The kiwi vines are in the 3 tallest container sections which are about 30 inches high. Thanks for any ideas!

Robert

[IMG]http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss138/7molly4/2008_09150009.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)