SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

Crocheting

User
7 years ago

When my older son was 2, I went to a yarn store and began buying skeins of yarn to crochet him a blanket for his twin bed. I made large granny squares in 3 shades of blue and had taken 2 more years to finish sewing them all together. I had it on the floor in my living room, and when I had time, I would sit on the couch and start weaving the millions (okay, slight exaggeration.... ;) ) threads into the blanket. Little did I know my house had mice! One day, I picked up the blanket and opened it up to hide the loose threads only to find huge holes where the mice had chewed through the blanket to take the yarn for nesting! I spent hundreds on the yarn. Trust me, it was very expensive. I wanted a blanket that would last a lifetime. I cried for a week. He's going to be 36 in May. I am finally going to make him another blanket. ;) This time, it's going to be rows of single crochet, each one starting from the left and finishing at the right. The loose ends will be the fringe. I made 2 already for my younger son and my daughter but never got around to making my older son another blanket. I have no idea why not... I probably won't get it done for his birthday in May, but should have it done in time for Christmas. When I grab my phone I'll take a picture of the one in the magazine. I'm making his mostly black, with a little grey. I have to find the right multi-colour for the highlights of the blanket. The pattern is for an afghan, but I want to make it to fit his queen bed so I'll double the length. The fringe edges will hang over boths sides of the bed. This is my way of getting back to the hobby I loved before I got my first computer. And getting off the computer that I spend too much time on every day. ;) Lets hope it works.

Comments (23)