SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josue_diaz75

De-cluttering the front yard

Hello, I landscaped my front yard about 3 years ago after removing the lawn. Unfortunately, I didn't think through the design much at the time so it quickly became cluttered. I followed the advice of friends and local gardeners and removed some of the plants that were poorly placed in the first place.

C. 2013 - Soon after this, we removed the lawn and pretty much everything else with the exception of the gingko tree.

This is summer 2016 - when a lot of the plants started filling in and the yard started feeling a bit cramped. The small tree on the right near the driveway was a jacranda mimosifolia. The palm on the left near the walkway is syagrus romanzoffiana. Initially, the jacaranda seemed like a good idea because this side of the house gets full sun exposure, and the tree would help shade the house.

After a lot of thinking (and some low-key mourning) I decided to take the jacaranda tree out. It was too big of a tree for this space. I did find a new home for it though, so that offered some consolation.

In place of the jacaranda, we went with a jubaeopsis caffra. This palm will top out between 15 and 20 feet tall which would still help shade this area of the yard.

I also removed the syagrus romanzoffiana and moved them further back - one on each side of the porch. Since they are fast-growing palms, we decided they would look better in the back, near the house. In 5 years their crowns will be 15-20 feet high, so the bare trunks would look better in the back rather than up front near the sidewalk.

So this is what the front of the house looks like now, after a LOT of moving stuff around. I do have three young dypsis decipiens on the left side that will fill in within the next 5 to 6 years, but now that the syagrus are out of the way, these will have plenty of room to grow.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my struggles in landscaping as an amateur. I'm sure my yard will continue to evolve, but I'm happy with how it is now. If you have any design suggestions, I'm definitely open to hearing them.

Cheers!

-Josh

Comments (7)