SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

Tip for easier clothing de-cluttering

lazy_gardens
11 years ago

I just remembered something that might help decluttering clothing.

A friend had a huge number of bluejeans (factory job - they were work clothes) and had seriously bogged down on the problem of which to keep and wash, which to toss out and which to give away. It was a pile several feet high on the floor of his utility room - clean, dirty, various sizes and conditions. I think he went out and bought new jeans every time he confronted the pile.

I removed the starting gate's obstacle by telling him to wash, dry, fold and stack all of them without making any decisions about their fate. I had him fold them with the knees exposed and stack them as "good knees no paint versus ripped knees or paint" which was the difference between work and grub-wear for him.

Then we put a box in the utility room ... instead of trying to sort the jeans all at once, he went to the utility room in the morning and grabbed a pair off the top of a stack and put them on.

If it fit, he kept them on. That pair went into his laundry hamper at the end of the day. But he didn't get to wear them again until the stacks were gone.

If it didn't fit, that pair went into the box and he grabbed the next pair ... until he found one that fit. When the box was full, he took it to the closest charity dropoff.

It took a while, but he got them all tried on and sorted out in a couple of months.

========
Perhaps a variation of this could work with other clothing. Put them in order and wear the first thing that fits, and if it doesn't fit, it goes in the box.

Comments (5)