SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Seeding grasses in an unfriendly site

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I always do this with my fingers crossed. I took a couple of pounds of grasses and clawed them into this marly caliche soil . I often feel like I am just throwing money out on these hills and the bills just blow away in the wind. I have failed on this hill before. I made seedballs once years ago and I think the cows ate them. I seeded it with bags of seed from TxRanger. True , we were in a drought. This time, I added more locally obtained Bluestem and sideoats gama (bouteloua curtipendula) to the Black Grama grass (Bouteloua eriopoda) that was already there but there very sparsley. This time I added the slash to hopefully keep the birds away , hold the seed, moisture AND SOIL back on this slope. Here are some before and after shots

Last year, I did this to another wash that never got even a thin coverage of Black Grama . The slash and logs that I placed seem to make the difference. I got lots of new green coming up between the slash. Actually, I did this in reverse because I did the slash 2 years ago and then put the seed in last year between the logs in some collected dirt that had built up behind the slash.

And then here it is this morning. There are gobs of beginning grasses. I think that disturbing the soil also brought up old seed and it captured seed from the Bluestem from an opening above. I am hoping for some bluebonnets in this wash. I spread some there this fall. I see a few rosettes but the are anemic at best.Hopefully they will be good enough to throw seeds. Bluebonnets supposedly like disturbance.

This area (below) was, also, a bald wash and I placed just a few branches and slash to slow the water and no seed added about 10 years ago, and I got grass starting but it took many years to get a thin coverage , but I did get a good start finally. i just put down more Sideoats gama seed here also and I need to get back there and put some slash out .

I will end with a sunset.

Comments (10)

Sponsored