SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

The Best Laid Plans, Part 1 . . .

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

A lot of the time when folks post question on here, (including me), we never get to find out what actually happened IRL. For me, what happens a lot of the time is things happen to delay my implementation schedule, or some issue comes up in the scheme of things and it doesn't go as planned. But to me, that's also interesting, and I still remain curious. So here's an update on one of my past posts and how it played out IRL. I posted for advice on reframing some antique Japanese picture I inherited from my mom. The frames were broken/wearing out and I thought they weren't very flattering so was looking for advice on how to do a better job of complimenting the delicate art. Here's the "Before" shot of the pictures:

I asked for advice on some chain framing store options but actually found out that a store in my new home town had a framing service in the back, so got it done locally! I thought a new color mat or different matting and a different frame would compliment the art better, but after trying lots and lots of options (even taking them home to try out in situ) I came up with something very similar, albeit MUCH better. The mats actually match the colors in the photos very well, and I tried all kinds of more elaborate frames or different colors, and the basic black was just the most complimentary. The new frames curve inward, which does draw the eye in better, and also have a bit more heft. Sometimes the best thing to do is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Here the picture are hung on the wall in my sitting room, which I am in the process of redoing. In the glass cabinets on the left, are my mom's collection of hand made Japanese dolls. Selections from my own doll collection will go under glass on the right. We're working on maybe putting up a bookshelf between the two cabinets, custom made to match them and extend between them. Not sure how that will affect the choice of art. Right now the pictures look great there but this sitting room is a work in progress.

Stay tuned for updates on my bathroom rug choice and couch slipcover!

Comments (11)