SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novemberrain96

What to do with this orange red undertone?

Kim B
7 years ago
Hello,
I love the new lighter brighter cleaner look these days but I feel stuck with the orange undertones of my Brazilian cherry floors and spice maple cabinets.
I have been driving myself crazy agonizing on what to do with my kitchen and family room. I don't have much money, but my husband and I could do all of the work. Can you please help? Some of the things I have been thinking of...

Paint- Manchester tan BM or accessible beige SW (open to other ideas)
Trim paint color?
Ceiling color?

Layout- I originally had the sectional flipped over to wall on the left, but was told it closed off the room. I could remove top half of tv cabinet to allow for a flat screen. I moved the sofa table under the picture to pretend it's a tv with a stand. I could remove current chair and buy two matching ones for both sides of the fireplace. And remove tall tv cabinet.

Floor- refinish clear or add stain to neutralize the orange red? If I add stain to hardwood what color? Java?

Does the colored pillows in my last picture look good for accent colors? Any other suggestions?

What accent chairs would you choose?

I hope all that makes sense.
I'm lost! I would appreciate your input. Thank you so much.

Comments (432)

• PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    These two are from target. The jute one I like for the family room. The wool I think would look good in the dining room or kitchen but doesn't come in the right size. I'm thinking I probably don't want every area rug in my house blue. That's how I got in the orange predicament. I trying to think of flo's rule of two-three and how I could get it all come together. I don't know if I posted this other area rug from home goods?
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Kim I love the jute rug for the family room or kitchen. If the wool one isn't the right size forget it. A rug that's not the right size looks worse than not having a rug at all. Where did you get the picture you posted of the gold & blue /gray rug? I'll look for it also. It is beautiful!! Lightens up your dining room too!! I am not crazy about the gray one with the white design in it. Too common to me. I see things similar to that all the time. You have a very special dining room and it needs a special rug.
  • Related Discussions

Yellow paint w/ orange undertone (EK Honeysuckle, RH Butter etc)

Q

Comments (14)
    What seemed wrong with Pineapple Smoothie? I have sample can of that in Aura, and it is close to RH Butter but it is more vibrant - my main concern is that it would be too vibrant. Just for comparison, how does Pineapple Smoothie differ from Honeysuckle - less orange, more orange, lighter/darker, more vibrant/less vibrant? Just curious what this Honeysuckle colour is all about. The best BM match to RH Butter is actually 75% Straw. So what is RH Butter like - is it too vibrant/yellow? Birmingham Cream is in the same general family of colours, a bit more muted down and slightly more orange in the yellow than the 75% Straw. It is a strong contender. Only glitch is that Birmingham Cream does not look as good at night as the other colours (Pineapple Smoothie, 75% Straw etc.) as it is less vibrant and more dull.
    ...See More

What paint undertone do you see?

Q

Comments (13)
    I agree with cpartist and others. Very helpful examples too. I, personally, see blue undertone on the first pic, purple on the second and third, and green on the fourth.. First, monitors. No accurate representation Unless it's a professional photoshoot with special umbrellas and stuff..or somebody extremely talented in photography that is very knowledgeable at how to work with the light present. (I saw one person like this. So I know they exist. But it was her profession) Second-color changes like crazy. Same room even-different light, different angle, different shadow, different colors around Good at least you both see gray Because our backdoor entrance is a shade of green and my husband says it's purple..)))))
    ...See More

Orange/red roof, need paint colors suggestions

Q

Comments (22)
    I was just asking for the same advice yesterday from this group... we also have an orange roof and brick . I went and found jungle Camouflage by Behr and the trim is a creamy white that I do not have the name in front of me. They look really nice against the orange. Someone also suggested bronze windows which we are considering along with our front door. The orange is definitely tricky .
    ...See More

How to tone down exterior red undertone on brown garage door?

Q

Comments (1)
    Do anotehr coat of a stain that is darker brown than what you used.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Tammy- I found the rug on Pinterest. I left a comment on their website, so hopefully they will get back to me with the details.

http://www.homebunch.com/cape-cod-cottage-remodel/#comment-1200249
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    I'm looking too Kim
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Tammy!
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Do you think this has to much beige/brown?
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Yes it's s little too much IMO. It's s beautiful rug though!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here are a couple options.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Kim I have been searching for that rug with no results. I did find a few more that would look nice and a leopard that would be a great way to go and will work with almost any decor
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I LOVE that tommy Bahamas rug, Tammy! Unfortunately I have Champagne taste on a beer budget!
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have actually been looking at the rug you have pictured in the middle Flo. I will check out the Home Depot one too. Thank you!

I wish I could try the leopard print in my house to see. Definitely a direction I would have never thought, but kinda like. Hmmm

Below is another rug I found at homegoods today. The outside border matches the wall. The main inside color is kind of an soft aqua maybe. What are your thoughts?
    Can an area rug be lighter than the wall color or should the rug typically be darker than the wall? I think I'm having a hard time with it being lighter, so I'm curious if it's a thing.

My dad is brining over tomorrow two more rugs he found from his homegoods.
    Thank you so much ladies!

Is there a setting on house to see when someone posts on your thread?
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That last picture I sent you of my dining room the rug is rippled because it's sitting on two other rags.

Any LOVE for any of these rugs?
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Kim I love the lighter one you have down now. It brightens up the room. Can you take a photo close up over it and post so I can see the colors in it better? Cover your chair seats to go with it and it would be great!!!
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Now that it's night, the walls look bluer and the carpet looks more aqua sea foam green. I put the paint chips of the wall color network gray (and software, the darker color on the strip for the ceiling, maybe)?!?
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I found this...
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Kim why not paint the ceiling the gossamer veil? It is the coordinating color for the network gray and it looks very close to the tan that's in the rug if you decide to keep this one. Did your daddy bring some over tonight?
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'll find a swatch of grossmare veil or something close. Thanks for the suggestion Tammy.

What do u think of the green in the current rug?

Dad's bringing the rugs tomorrow. I'll post pictures. Then I told him we will have to drive out of state to return the ones I don't want. Hahaha
    If money were no object, right! I don't think this would be quite so difficult. I was hoping to spend under $600-$700 max for an 8x10.

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Goodnight!
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    It is greener looking than your walls. From a distance it looks great with it but with the paint chip on it, you can see the green undertones more. I'll keep looking for more in your dollar range.. have a great night!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Grays make you crazy with undertones and changing natural and artificial lighting. Seems you have complications with both! I would do a random pattern rather than a medallion, because a medallion will be covered by the table. I would go lighter as well. You have to basically counter the wall color with a stronger color not a lighter color IMO. Find the right rug, and then we can do the upper ceiling in a dark color from the rug. Have you looked on Overstock.com. They have some amazing rugs for little money that would look great. In fact, I just bought one for a client and she love it and it was under $300 for a 8x10 and it is wonderful. I also have purchased from them. You can get a smaller size to test and then get the 8 x 10 size you want when you get the rug you want. No shipping cost and they are fast!! Might want to take a look there.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Kim here are a few more. Frontgate is having a sale right now and it takes 30% off anything $500- or more. I included a copy of the sale code you would need in case you want to order any of them. There are some very nice wool ones in here and @ 30 off makes it a good investment and good deal.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    A few more from frontgate @ 30% off
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    I love this one and it would look nice with the darker ceiling
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Here are a couple that might work really well with your wall color and your furniture. I have gone with some blues as well as grays and ivory.

Rugs · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Rugs · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The ones from overstock are polyprop(can't spell it!) but that is durable and easy clean and these are very inexpensive but they look great. And I think they would serve you well in your dining room. But of course, you have to be the judge of what you want in there. I just wouldn't spend a ton of money on a rug for that room, especially if you don't use it often. It can look nice, and serve you well for less cash!! Just my thinking. I personally don't want to be fretting over kids spilling or adults on a very expensive rug, when you can get a much less costly one and have fun!!!

• PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm back to school so it's been crazy!!! How are you?

I really like that frontgate rug. I found a store within driving distance, so I'm going to call to see if they have it in stock. Thanks!

I also found a few more from homegoods.(pictures below---thoughts?)
    I also had a potterybarn designer come out. I haven't had my follow up with her yet, but she was very knowledgeable.

I can only post 4 at a time so this is difficult. The first is my original rug.
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Last two are the same rug I think it might be to blue?
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Same rug. Maybe to small? Boring?
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Tried my original rug and the blue one that I bought for the dining room. Are you feeling either of these for the family room? Once the wall to wall get torn out.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Hey Kim! Glad to see you back! The choice depends on whether you want to keep your traditional look, or go more modern or transitional. You know I believe lighting is key. Are you still considering changing your chandelier? If so, I would do that before rug. Lighting will affect rug looks. If I recall, the fixture you had/have is up light. Your room would benefit from down and some up light. What are your thoughts?
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I do definitely want a new light fixture.
    I have that dining room fixture for sale. As far as the style I don't really know. I think that's where I'm lost. I want my whole house to look like one style type. If you recall I have those orangish maple cabinets and that heavy large brown leather sectional. My banister has metal basket spindles. I don't know what style my house is? I don't want it to be eclectic. That's why I feel like I'm casing my tail, I spend hours a week looking at chairs, rugs, pictures, lighting and I don't know what to get because of the style. A very tight budget is also a key player too, unfortunately.
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And we bought a house yesterday to flip.
    I work, go to school, have kids, and my husband told me today to make all the selections asap! Omg I can't even pick a rug! lol
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Wow great house. I can see darker gray exterior paint with white trim. Layered whites and neutrals with black details in bathroom tile and kitchen. Some wood accents. Medium wood engineered floors. Bronze light fixtures. Brushed nickel in kitchen and bathroom faucets. There. Done. Sleep tight! Lol
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

btw, those rugs for the family room look really dark and I thought the goal was to lighten and brighten? I think something light with a large print would be wonderful.

Silky Shag AMB0657 Ivory, Gray Shag Rug, 8'x10' · More Info
    Something along this line.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

As for light fixture for dining room, I am going to hunt for something wonderful.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Hey Kim,

Just saw your last posts. On the rugs you posted, I agree that one is too blue.. the other is just boring... sorry!! I wish you the best with the flip and everything you have going on. I like the rug Flo posted above for the family room. Can you take the blue one back?
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Kim,

I checked on frontgate and they're having a 25% off sale right now and they had some new rugs in.
    I found these that would be nice for your dining room and at 25% off, priced reasonably.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    I looked on pottery barn site and found a few for your family room. I love the leopard rug and it would go with any decor.. very neutral. When you meet with the decorator, maybe she can show it to you. Ask her to bring samples if she can.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    Also found this as a possible one for DR from pottery barn.
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks ladies!
    All of the rugs are returnable. I will return the too blue and too burning rug. Lol The only one I still am considering for the dining room is this. Do you think it goes with the rest of the house? What are your honest thoughts on this rug? I love all the new rugs you posted too. :)
    Thank you!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    It looks ok but not great. It might be too modern for your furniture.
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Pictures- Family room looks that I thought would work? Just like you were saying- a lighter rug.

The PB designer suggested I put the "boring" blue rectangle rug under my round kitchen table. She said keep a light or more solid pattern on the rug and add the interest in the accessories. What do you think of a 8x10 under my round kitchen table? And it's right next to the brown leather sectional which will also have an area rug!?!?! Not sure if a large 8x10 solid(ish) rug is practical either. Seems it could be impossible to keep clean. I send pictures later.
    What about the cheetah rug under the kitchen table and a more solid my couch?

Flo- I would love to talk more about the flip. I was also thinking a darker gray. I need to replace the roof too. What does layering whites mean?
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    I agree on the rug you pictured above in DR with Flo. It's ok but I think you can find something better.
    Can you send another photo of the family room and breakfast table area?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

"Layered whites and neutrals", means you do a very light off white wall and then bring in sofa fabrics in linen with pillows in creams with a bit of color along with textures, like knitted throws, feather pillows and some greenery in the form of moss balls or a single tall fig plant. Here are some examples.

My Houzz: Chic Boho Style for a Hawaii Apartment · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Oak Reno · More Info
    Notice jute rug, layered with white/gray animal skin rug, green tall fig plant, and texture of leather pillow and pouf with white walls and trim. Light, bright and any furniture type works with this palette.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Amagansett Beach Retreat · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Linden, Laguna Beach · More Info
    Here is bungalow with dark gray and white trim. Also aqua front door. If you do this and you replace windows, go black or bronze windows on outside and inside. Makes for very chic look even in smaller homes.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

PA Street of Dreams 2014 Best of Show · More Info
    Black windows create interest and are good for all styles.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    6 years ago
    I went back to the beginning and looked at your photos and I think a square rug for your breakfast table would be perfect.. and it needs to compliment the one in the family room. They are so close to each other and need to coordinate
  • PRO
    Kim B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you!
Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor