SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestreviews

Contractor/sub REMOVED asbestos tile without approval -VERY scared

joe hru
7 years ago

TL:DR

Kitchen being remodeled, includes powder room, adjacent laundry and systems area.

Contractor's sub/employee was supposed to remove some sticky vinyl tiles that were on top on asbestos tiles that had been in place for 60 years.

We had been told by other flooring experts not to disturb the tiles as they are firmly in place.

And that it would cost thousands to remove them and PROPERLY tent everything for safety.

Since the EPA.gov website says encapsulation is best overall, the contractor and his sub were told and agreed several times to not touch the asbestos.

Lo and behold, the sub removed the vinyl tiles on top of the asbestos tiles.

They were cheap and I could have even pulled them up myself.

But he chipped away and removed about 10-15 of the asbestos tiles !

ANd since they couldn't be lifted up, that means he was chipping them and the mastic underneath and letting it fly into the air.

Once again DH is being super low key.

What is the best advice here ?

I opened all the windows downstairs.

The vents downstairs have been duct taped closed (by me) since the whole remodeling job started. Is it even safe to run our HVAC ? it supplies half our heat.

These idiots also were supposed to be installing the tiles and hardwood floor we ordered but the flooring company told us Saturday that the flooring was never ordered and wouldn't be "for a quite a while"

The project manager was informed of this and has kept putting us off for a few days saying he is waiting for an answer.

So anyway about to lose my mind here.

How to proceed next would be appreciated.

DH has already given these people 11k of 15k for the project.

ARGH........................

Please forgive any incoherence, but I have adrenaline coursing through my veins with rage.

Just got over the stress of unsafe behavior by contractor's sub and agreed with my DH (soon to be ex at this rate !) to let sub come back (he might be an employee, dont know for certain)

Already experienced the sub hauling around fiberglass that was uncovered.

He said it was "ECO" so it was safe to handle and breathe around with no gloves, etc.

Not true.

Then instead of using end cap to cap an extra HVAC vent, he used cans of Great Stuff expandable foam.

Again, stupid action.

Next up brought an 120k Kerosene heater filled wit oil plus open kerosene oil canister into house. No need to use in small 400 sq space with low ceilings.

He left it turned off but filled with oil directly against pilot of hot water heater.

I asked DH to request another employee. DH is go with the flow to a fault.

DH was home all day doing work [he's a lawyer. but the kind who deal with calm people and contracts, not typical lawyer persona)

He never checked on this lunatic !

He asked if we could turn the whole house HVAC back on (I had it off due to drywall dust )

I when down to check everything and almost fell over.

I wandered down to discover the vinyl tiles on the asbestos had been rmeoved BUT also the asbestos tiles and mastic had been chipped away at !

So anyway about to lose my mind here.

How to proceed next would be appreciated.

DH has already given these people 11k of 15k for the project.

ARGH........................

Comments (5)