SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_veg

Restoration projects and other old-car tinkering

the_veg
7 years ago

Anybody here into fixing-up old cars? What are you working on?

Here's mine, a 1970 Lotus Elan Plus 2.

https://vegomatic.smugmug.com/1970-Lotus-Elan-Plus-2/i-HSL2W9N/A

I bought it from a good friend about 15 months ago, and like most old cars it has turned into much more of a project than originally anticipated- but it's getting there and I'm really looking forward to driving it sometime this year.

A previous owner had the engine rebuilt (including some performance upgrades), but it needs almost everything else. Currently I've got the interiour gutted. The nasty, funky old 'horsehair' insulation has been removed and modern, non-absorbent, closed-cell foam insulation is going in. The original upholstery is mostly good, just needed a couple of small repairs, but the original carpet was rotten and beyond hope, so I have a new set waiting to go in. I'm re-engineering the fuel tank ventilation for better function and less evaporative loss, and also re-engineering the brake system to eliminate the remote servos, which the UK-market cars did not have and really weren't needed anyway. The wooden dashboard was not in good shape either, so it got a new veneer and polyurethane finish.

Once all that is done and the interiour is back together, the next big thing is the suspension. The same previous owner who had the engine rebuilt installed nice Koni shocks all around, but while the suspension was apart to do that he totally neglected to replace all the rotten ball-joints and bushings! Every bit of rubber in the suspension is decades beyond overdue for replacement. The tires are ancient too, yet still appear new as the car has done so few miles the last dozen or so years. They even still have the nubs all over them. I scored a really rare set of aftermarket alloy wheels that will get some new tires and then be used on the car, as the original steel wheels are really under-built and being a two-piece riveted design, are not respected for long-term durability.

Future projects include things like a new exhaust system, possible chassis refurbishment, etc. The paint is all faded and has deep cracks and chips, but a respray isn't in the cards anytime soon as the body is fiberglass so the effort and budget (especially budget) required to make it right again is a bit of a pipe-dream since it means hundreds of hours of prep. The cracks have to be ground all the way down to the gelcoat to prevent them returning. But that's OK; I bought the car to enjoy driving much more than to look at, and driving is exactly what Lotus cars are made for.

https://vegomatic.smugmug.com/1970-Lotus-Elan-Plus-2/i-QbhvXLR/A

PS- since taking these pics, I've moved into a place with a proper garage so now I can REALLY get busy on the car! :)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH