SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

Interim designs.. or addressing the construction zone look

kitasei
7 years ago

Insprired by the honest answers given by our esteemed designers to the question posed by Curious - what do YOUR gardens look like? -- and some recent threads on the design problems of diehard plant collectors, like Campanula -- I would like to start a discussion about proven strategies large and small for creating beautiful landscapes while we are in the midst of creating them. The fact is that the creative process for most of us is never-ending. Even designers of high-budget, professionally installed landscapes must have many tricks they use to make their bald creations look attractive for the years it takes to fill in. Please share them, and any experience any of you have with creating and managing scenery at the same time.

Here are some of mine. I inherited an overgrown property, which was a wonderful look but unsustainable. I had no choice but to remove vines strangling trees and destroying buildings, and chose to open up views that had been cut off. Storms took out many trees. Deer breached defenses (de fences!) and made lollipops of mature conifer hedges. Maple trees must be thinned to successfully grow new screens where I want them. I am in a learning mode on many fronts, as my many posts here attest. What have I found contains the mess?

1. Try to put away tools, wheelbarrows, hoses, and projects every night.

2. Keep to-do lists on cards organized by month, and try to label things so I know what I'm digging or pruning when the time comes (i.e., a dead branch in winter, bulbs after foliage has disappeared, etc)

3. Accept that open views of eyesores are the price of growing a dense and tall enough evergreen screen.

4. Take lots and lots of phone photos - of emerging weeds, emerging seedlings, long range views, wide views. Identify and DATE them so I can use them to identify friends and foes as they re-appear, and to study the overall picture of what is blooming with what, and what screams out for editing.

5. Accept some of the invasive plants that create the character and fullness I'm after while i replace them all over time. I'm thinking of shrub honeysuckle, ivy, sweet autumn clematis, trumpet vine, even wisteria. Removing all of them at once would have opened up a sprawling vacuum that would have been filled with even worse things before I could fill it. So work at the pace I can manage. Don't remove something without either planting in its place or smothering with mulch.

OK, enough from me. You?

Comments (9)