SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drmalm611

Softener that won't kill my pressure, HELP!

drmalm611
7 years ago

So, I've been renting a softener for a couple years (Clack twin tank with 2 cuft fine mesh) and it has done well, but I really want to purchase a unit to get away from the payments. I called about purchasing our current unit and was quoted $2,300. I think I can do better.

I'm looking at either the Fleck 9000 or 9100 twin tank systems from OPW. I have water test results below, but have a few additional questions in addition to sizing:

1. Which is better, 9000 or 9100?

2. Should I get the SXT model, or mechanical meter?

3. I don't have great pressure at my fixtures. The softener is the only thing on our waterline, no other filters. I have a 1" line coming from the pressure tank to the softener, but it drops to 3/4" a foot downstream of the softener outlet. Should I get a softener with 1" or 3/4" internals? The 1" cost more, but will it give me any more pressure in the house? Is it worth the cost?

4. I know noryl bypasses are often recommended here, but they only have 3/4" internals. Should I get a stainless steel bypass instead since it has true 1" internals to save some pressure?

My household has 6 people, including 4 children. We have 3 full bathrooms, but no high usage fixtures like tub fillers or multi-head showers. I get 9.9 gpm where the waterline from the well enters the house (just before softener) and 4gpm in my first floor tub with the mixing valve right in the middle. Water taken upstream of the softener is initially clear, but yellows overnight. After the softener, water does not yellow overnight. I use Red-Out type softener salt and we also use an RO for drinking and cooking

I appreciate any help on the correct size of system and correct valve. Also, what the correct settings for the valve would be great help as well. Thanks so much!

units for all results are mg/L unless noted

Calcium 117

Iron 1.26

Magnesium 51.2

Manganese 0.009

Potassium 2.6

Silicon 8.5

Sodium 19.7

Stronium 3.1

Sulfur 57.6

Zinc 0.04

Alkalinity 396

Bicarbonate 395

Color 35 color units

Conductivity 908 micromhos/cm

Hardness 503 mg/l or 29.4 gpg

PH 7.3 SU

Turbidity 11.3 NTU

TDS 610

This post ended up being longer than intended, but should have everything. Thanks again!

Comments (11)