SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sd2102

Help with mealybugs on baisal keiki

sd2102 (8b PNW)
7 years ago

I have an orchid that put out a basal keiki as it was dying last fall. The basal keiki has done really well, it has 2 larger leaves (possibly a 3rd leaf growing from below) and 2 roots (one fat one about 2-3 inches long and a skinnier one about the same length). But I just discovered what appears to be mealybugs on it.

I've attached 2 pictures to show what the plant looks like and the mealybugs.

On closer inspection, I see white stuff around all the leaves and some of the roots so I unpotted the orchid and have thrown out the bark.

I had originally planned to leave the keiki attached as the plant seemed happy and I didn't want to disrupt it, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to just separate it as it will be easier to clean the whole thing and not worry about the bugs lurking around the roots?

I used isopropyl alcohol to clean it because that's all I have at home, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to treat it with Bayer 3 in 1 (which I'll pick up this weekend) once it's been repotted?

I've also cleaned both pots that the orchid sits in and soaked it in some diluted alcohol just to be safe.

I also have 3 small succulents that sat next to it. I'm having a hard time determining if they spread to those plants because of their coloring- is it possible/likely? Should I isolate them and/or spray them with some diluted alcohol just to be safe? Or maybe I should post this on the succulents forum?

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!