SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

VIBRANT *V* daylilies 2017

sherrygirl zone5 N il
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

No V daylilies for me. However, I have signs of a confused spring......again. Last weekend in zone 5a, the first weekend in February, I discovered daffodils poking their heads up. They are planted close to the foundation of my home, but really, February 3? The high today was 22 F! Tomorrow the weatherman says 47 F.........so I am posting my favorite spring flower. If you don't have a V daylily, post your favorite spring flower!

Comments (35)

• DebbieON zn4-5
    7 years ago

Venus Flytrap

Vertical Horizon

Vesuvian

Victorian Lace

Violet Becomes You

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked DebbieON zn4-5
  • daylilybedmaker
    7 years ago

Here are my V's

Victoria Garden Smtarbright: Has been in the ground for a year

Vertical Horizon: I should move it to a better spot in the garden.

Victorian Lace: I remember getting into a bidding war at my local daylily club's auction. Wound up paying $102 for a single fan 2 years after being introduced. It is a great plant for me in Zone 5.

Vesuvian: Great older Benz intro

Venus Flytrap: First year in the ground. Did send up a rebloom scape.

Volcanic Explosion: Love the flower, but the plant was weak for me. It left the garden this past Fall.

That's all that I have.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • Related Discussions

CAPTIVATING *C* daylilies, 2017

Q

Comments (66)
    Signet - I think Cobraskin Necktie's colors were due to a lack of rain and extreme heat. I got it the previous year, and last summer was the first time it bloomed. At first I thought it was the wrong plant. But the applique eye did show up faintly on a couple of blooms. Here are a couple of other photos. The second one makes it look more pink violet than purple.
    ...See More

FABULOUS *F* daylilies 2017

Q

Comments (52)
    Daylilybedmaker did you by any chance buy any species daylilies when you started ....it looks to be very close to a species bloom . I know the color is off on this image but shape is right ......http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/HS/Species/fu_Cy_e.htm or http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/HS/Species/fu_rR_e.htm or http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/HS/Species/fu_rP_e.htm or http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/HS/Species/fu_rJ_e.htm perhaps it was a tag along that the seller didnt not realize was in the clump of daylily they sold or shipped to you .
    ...See More

MAGNIFICENT *M* daylilies 2017

Q

Comments (41)
    Mahdi is a later Moldovan that is interesting. Is it quite vigorous for you, Boyd? Michael Miller did not like the cold here. I am wary of anything with MM in the parentage now. It had a few nice blooms on very short scapes. When Maryott's carried Michael Miller, it also included in the description that there had been reports of tenderness in the North. Message of Love is not so bright a color here. Morning Mood was awful this past year. But that is not typical. Midnight Raider --an older one.
    ...See More

NICE *N* daylilies 2017

Q

Comments (33)
    Brad, thanks but remember those organization problems I am always complaining about!! I looked back at photos and am doomed to post only those I am pretty sure of this year! I have a plan for doing better. Mantis, I agree with you about New Paradigm in other gardens. It was a bonus. I would not have ordered it. Not my color favorite and always faded whenever I saw it in other gardens. As I said, it will not be in mine much longer. Boyd, I like Natchez Lace. I have Natchez Moon and checked to see if Salter had hybridized both. Salter lilies usually perform very well in my climate. I think your Natchez Lace looks better than Natchez Moon. I actually lived in Natchez for a while-think that was why I obtained Natchez Moon. I am on board with others-I like Nell McCreery too. Along with all the others posted!
    ...See More
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    7 years ago

David and Debbie, I really like your Venus Fly Trap.

Brad, I understand why you posted two pics of Vintage Wine, it's lovely.

David, it's a good thing Victorian Lace has done well for you, it's lovely but that is a really hefty price ; )

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    7 years ago

I have just a few V's.

David, thanks for posting a picture of Victorian Garden Star Bright. We purchased VG Star Bright and I was thrilled when it started sending up scapes which were nice and tall (which fit its published stats). When it opened, though, there was no ruffling on the edges although it was a dark color. We finally concluded we had been sent Serena Dark Horse (which was blooming in our garden at the same time). Your pictures validates my getting rid of the imposter.

This is Volcano Queen which has been in the garden for many years. It's not as tall as we like and not very well budded, but it's large and orange.

Viva Pinata was a bonus plant that stayed because we really like it.

I bought Violet Vibrations for my tet pattern program and then found out it's a dip.

Violet Stained Glass was a gift from an Indiana grower. I hope that means it is hardy.

Victoria Lynette is not established yet but I think it is going to be a good performer.

Here's our picture of Venus Flytrap which performed wonderfully last season, its best yet.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

I tried twice last night to post and each time I hit submit .......the post disappeared ,,,, not sure why .

DebbieOn , Celeste and anyone posting on these threads really , your images are lovely and all consistent quality , Can I ask what you are using to take pictures. I mostly use my phone ( light weight but only sometimes decents pics ) I must be somehow changing something as I go along taking pics .

I can take pics all at the same time and some come out nice and clear and others I have to wonder if someone else grabbed the camera, changed all the settings and hand it back to me ..... images come out terrible. I really would love to have them at least somewhat consistant .

My fav images so far in this post are the iris and Venus Flytrap (ooooo that irridescent green throat against the main color of the eye is so intense). I had only ever seen a hybridizer's image, Violet Stained Glass (love the throat/eye on that one ) and Brad's Vintage Wine . Three things certain Munson did really well .....he mastered the huge eyes of his plants , the whole bloom always seems so voluminous and they are hardy.

I just added Vertical Horizon this past season so really nice to see how well it does for you DebbieOn

Ok gonna try to post my V's for the third and final time . If the program wipes them this time I will just pass.

way too much sun in this image below . The flower is really purple .

I grow a few others but havent got images I'm afraid .

p.s. just a note to all , I guess you all must do Facebook , with the Likes and Pokes etc. I don't so I am not used to the Like button and often forget it is there . Please do not think I am not enjoying or liking your images ....I often just forget to show that I do .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • Brad KY 6b
    7 years ago

Signet, I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH25 camera. It is not the top of the line, and is now probably somewhat outdated, but it takes really good pictures. I got it on line at B&H audio and video. They have great prices, and this was refurbished so it was really discounted. It has lasted well. Here's a newer better version of mine: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1284244-REG/panasonic_padmc_zs50scp_lumix_dmc_zs50_digital_camera.html

I use the Intelligent Auto setting, which is fairly all-purpose. However, at I find certain times of the day or certain color of daylilies I need to switch to sunset mode. It takes the glare off the flowers, especially whites and lights. Sometimes I take a picture in IA & if not satisfied in sunset and compare to the real flower. I've even used beach mode a couple of times to remove glare.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Signet, love your Vatican City pic, looks like your phone did a splendid job this time!

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Thanks for that info Brad . I never knew cameras had things like beach mode and sunset mode. Shows how old I am LOL !

Sherry , thank you for the nice comment . Oddly I believe all the rest are from the same phone but sure aren't the color / depth of color etc of image that Vatican City shows. If I could only get the harsh glare from the sun off the plants. Someone said to use an umbrella but if I have to hold an umbrella , camera (or phone) and make it work , a pencil and book to mark down who I am photographing I need a few more arms .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    7 years ago

I used to use a Fuji FinePix (I don't remember the model number) but I noticed that my daughter's $100 Nikon took much better pictures of red daylilies. We knew we had to get a better camera if we were going to put pictures on our website (which we don't have yet, but are working on it) so we bought a Nikon D5100. It has a special setting for flowers. We have been very happy with it. The only downside is it is much larger than the Fuji is. Sometimes, however, I get lazy and just use the camera on my iphone. It tends to make the colors of the flowers more vibrant.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    7 years ago

signet clearly I am no pro and I use a Canon Power Shot, elph 150 IS. It is the lowest end Canon (a couple of years old now). I just have it on auto.

Since some of your pics are perfect it may not be your phone but the angle the sun is at. On the Name That Plant Forum one person told another never to take a pic with the sun directly in front or behind you, position yourself so that the sun is to the side. My picture taking has improved a lot since employing this tip.

Sherry love the Irises. Outstanding V's as usual. One for me.

Voodoo Dancer

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • celeste/NH
    7 years ago

I just use a cheapo Nikon Coolpix.....because I just point and shoot. I don't have the skills or patience to learn anything complicated....lol. Fortunately for me, the flowers themselves are the masters.

I have quite a few 'V's so I will split them up in installments as usual. For Brad especially, the Olallie Vermont daylilies will be their own separate installment.

VESUVIAN (this one is a goodie! I post two photos to illustrate it's blooming capabilities even through the severe drought of 2016 during which it was never watered)

VICTORIAN CHRISTMAS

VICTORIA GRACE

VATICAN CITY

VOLCANIC EXPLOSION

VIKING STAR

VENUS'S FIRE

VILLA BORGHESE

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • celeste/NH
    7 years ago

Set #2.....

VIOLET SHADOWS

(NOT to be confused with Velvet Shadows, another smaller purple)

VERTICAL HORIZON

VINO DI TRAVIS

VICTORIAN GARDEN ROLLING THUNDER

The next set are the Vermont Olallie hybrids.

• celeste/NH
    7 years ago

These are all late and VERY LATE bloomers. These will start either in late August or early September here in my part of New Hampshire. It is not unusual for them to still have a few buds left in October, even though it's usually too cold for them to open. None of these are fancy looking but they are welcome when everything else is done for the year! These all are from Olallie Daylily Farm in Vermont.....so VT stands for Vermont.

VT FONDLY KIN

VT AUTUMN FIRES

VT BETSY

VT THE LAST MELON

VT SEPTEMBER ROSE ROSY

I apologize that a few of these are from the previous year because by the time these bloomed the drought had really taken it's toll so late in the year. They bloomed in spite of the drought but the blooms were not representational of what I usually see.

VT SPUN SUGAR

VT SOPHIE

VT CAMEO APPEARANCE

VT BRIDAL LILAC

VT SEPTEMBER STAR

I ALSO GROW VT BUTTERSCOTCH HARVEST AND VT RR RED (and VT SWIFTLY TILTING) but I don't have their photos. They start to bloom so very late (end of September) that by then it's so cold I don't go outside much....lol. Will definitely make sure to take some this year.

• DebbieON zn4-5
    7 years ago

Signet, I have exactly the same camera as peren.all. It is my second digital camera. My first was a Fuji, definitely not as good as the Canon. If I could have spared a couple of hundred more at the time, I would have bought a Nikon, they also have a good reputation. The Canon, I cannot interchange lenses, with the Nikon, I could have. My neighbour across the street comes over and takes photos sometimes. She has a little pocket sized Canon, and she takes some really good photos with that little thing. But I am still stuck in time, and like the bigger (and heavier) camera, with more zoom, and settings.

Perhaps you are accidently hitting the zoom, then ending up with some out of focus? With my old 35mm. I never made an error and I won several photo awards, however, I am not good at all with the digital cameras. It took a season of photographing daylilies, trying to not end up with blue toned photos. Alot of us have that problem, you can see the grass is bluer in alot of photos, and orange and reds are washed out. But the purples look great!

• mantis__oh
    7 years ago

Debby, has Violet Becomes You thrived for you? Michael Boumann, in a warmer zone 6 than I, has noted that it is tender. Perhaps you live near the moderating effect of a lake, as well as having consistent snow cover.

Venus Flytrap seems to have great teeth everywhere.

Violet Stained Glass seems to open well, which many patterned ones do not. Do let us know if it continues to thrive.

Victorian Lace was lovely as always, though perhaps slightly lower bud count. Should never have been a bridesmaid to the Stout.

Volcano Queen is shorter than I prefer. I think that cameras in general tend to exaggerate its vibrancy. But it was very bright this past year.

Vanilla Gorilla is a vigorous grower.

Vatican City bloomed well last year. While it is velvety, this picture tends to make it more brilliant than reality. It was quite a display, though.

My Viva Pinata is a young plant that has yet to produce anything very substantial.

Vulcan Logic has been slow to establish here, but is a relatively young plant.

Vampire Bat took a nice picture in a pot. Don't know what I think of it in reality. Of course, it is not the blue-black color in one of the hybridizer's pictures (and which is constantly used to sell it on auction sites).

Some cameras just tend to exaggerate colors. There are a few posters on NGA that constantly produce "oversaturated, contrasty eye candy," as one person put it. I don't think it's a matter of photoshop, but rather the camera itself. Of course, there are lots of juiced-up photos on daylily picture sites. They can be quite nauseating.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • DebbieON zn4-5
    7 years ago

Vanilla Fluff

Volcanic Eruption

Volcanic Euruption

• Brad KY 6b
    7 years ago

Thanks for posting the Olallie daylilies Celeste. I am looking forward to seeing them this year. Mantis: I don't like the over-saturated pics either. Personally, I am a perfectionist for what I see to be exactly what the photo looks like.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Because sellers pictures can be misleading, I always search for pictures before I buy. I have changed my mind about purchases often when I see what the blooms really look like. I'm guessing I'm not the only one searching before purchasing. I have been disappointed.

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    7 years ago

I saw all the pics of Victorian Lace and remembered that mine either did not bloom last year or it is gone. I need to look for it because I had forgotten how lovely it is. I only have a photo of one but I do like this lily very much. It blooms late for me and every bloom so far looks just like this.

Kate

Voila Francois

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • mantis__oh
    7 years ago

I forgot about Voila Francois because it did not do much last year (after being divided). It may not prove to be hardy or may suffer from short scapes. Too soon to tell.

• shive
    7 years ago

Voila Francois looks beautiful in both photos!

Villa del Sol blooms very early.

Violet Tranquility

Violet Victory

Victorian Garden Emerald Breeze is a nice, big yellow.

Venus Flytrap - Mine had great teeth too!

Venus's Fire

Victorian Lace

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • DebbieON zn4-5
    7 years ago

Mantis, I agree that Violet Becomes You may not be the hardiest thing around. We usually get sufficient snow cover to be able to try some questionable southern beauties. Here it is doing ok, multiplying ok, blooming well. Talladega is in the same boat. Both have gone from single fans to at least ten fans in four years. Neither is struggling, but I think our snow cover helps alot. I am lucky so far, the Stamiles and Kinnebrews seem to do ok here, but have lost several Salters and Kirchhoffs.

But I do think they are probably on the tender side. I found Neon Flamingo and Overdrive especially, languishing quite a bit, they are definitely not up to speed here. I had thought those two I wouldn't have to worry about, but they are clearly tender and make it known, loud and clear, by not multiplying and not blooming. I think they are slowly coming around though. Overdrive finally bloomed first time in four years. It might now be four fans, and Neon Flamingo has gone from two to six fans in the same time.

• signet_gw(6b)
    7 years ago

Interesting that it is Salter's and Kirchoffs that are the ones tender for you DebbieOn . The ones I have a tough time with are pretty much ones created in Florida . Mostly Hansen's ., I think his plants are too tender for my growing conditions here ....but then most of his are evergreens .I have stopped buying Hansen's daylilies . If I want to waste my money I can think of better ways to do it and not nearly so disappointing . I have lost a few Ned Robert plants from when he was growing in Florida and yet others of his survive quite well here . For the most part, I am surprised at what can survive here in -20 c at times with no snowcover .

• del_s
    7 years ago

Vino di Notte.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked del_s
  • mantis__oh
    7 years ago

Minus 20 C is only -4 Fahrenheit. That is not that cold. It is, in fact, zone 6b, a warmer zone than we have in south central Ohio. In the last few decades, as Southern-bred plants became increasingly tender, many nurseries rushed to declare themselves "northern hardy." I just saw that claim by a nursery in New York State. But when I looked on the map, I saw that the nursery was right by the lake in zone 6b.

A plant's being tender does not always mean that one loses it. Rather, it tends to languish, sometimes multiplying well, but producing not many flowers and having stunted scapes. Since I don't hybridize, I must say that I routinely dismiss Salters and Pierces nowadays, unless I have a clear indication that they will thrive here. There are too many good cultivars out there that are hardy. There is increasingly a North-South divide in regard to daylily breeding. The in-between states--from Kentucky/Tennessee to North Carolina--are probably the ideal locations to grow cultivars.

• daylilybedmaker
    7 years ago

Along with Mantis' observation about Salter and Pierce intros not doing well for him, they also don't do well in my zone 5 garden along with Lambertson intros.

David

• tarheelgirl_7b
    7 years ago

A couple V's for me:

VENUS FLYTRAP -- added Fall 2015

VOILA FRANCOIS -- added Fall 2015

Thanks for looking!

Lori

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • shive
    7 years ago

Lori and others - Voila Francois looks like it has heavy substance. Does it hold up well in the heat?

Celeste - Your clumps shots of Vesuvian are very impressive. How long have you had that one? Does it fade much on hot days?

Debra

• celeste/NH
    7 years ago

Thanks Debra! Vesuvian has only lived in my garden 3 years. It clumped up fast! Mine holds its color well during the heat of summer but my summers aren't as brutal as most places, so your mileage may vary. I couldn't believe how good it looked and how well it bloomed when that bed it's in had NO rainfall or hand watering all summer.

I found another 'V' that I forgot to add:

VIVACIOUS PAM

• lilykate7a
    7 years ago

Debra, I can't speak for everyone, of course, but my experience with Voila Francois has been that it does hold up very well. My photo was taken late afternoon which may explain why it does not have any pinkish shading. However, it has no shade and faces the Western sun so, as you can see, substance has not been a problem for me. As mantis said, the scapes tend to be short but I have it as a border plant and that does not bother me. It never hangs and I think it is exquisite.It also blooms late for me so that is another plus.

Kate

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • daylilybedmaker
    7 years ago

Debra,

I have grown VESUVIAN for many years and it is an outstanding plant. I have a repeat customer every year and she asked about VESUVIAN the first year she saw it blooming and put it on her list. The following year she purchased a piece of it. The following year, she saw it blooming again in the garden and I reminded her that she bought it last year. She said "Oh, that's right." The following year she stopped by and saw it blooming again and again inquired about it. I again reminded her that she bought it. This past year she stopped by and again asked about the tall red one (VESUVIAN), and she beat me to the punch and said " I know, I already bought that one." I grow many of John Benz's older reds and this one is in the top three. GEMSTONE WARRIOR is my favorite as it handles the heat of the sun without showing any damage by the end of the day. RED LIGHTNING is second.

David

• tarheelgirl_7b
    7 years ago

Debra, last summer was the first for Voila Francois in my garden but it seemed to hold up pretty well. The first photo I posted was taken around 6:20 AM, and the below is a photo of the same bloom taken at 5:50 PM.

I only had a few blooms last summer and am looking forward to a higher bud count this year.

Lori

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked tarheelgirl_7b
  • James Smith
    7 years ago

All lovely. Just two "V's" for me...

Mr. Stamile's "Victorian Lace", always makes me happy,

and Bob's dip, "Virginia Winkler"; not as Pink as the AHS Database picture, but I still love it.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked James Smith
  • shive
    7 years ago

Thanks to everyone who gave me more info about Vesuvian and Voila Francois!