SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serallen89

Crassula / Jade plant unhealthy - over or under watering?

Serena
7 years ago

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to work out what the problem is with my succulents (they've all taken a turn for the worst this winter)... but am not sure what the cause is and hence what to do for the best! I was hoping someone could advise please.

My largest jade plant has a lot of very soft leaves, plus the tiny new leaves growing on top have shrivelled up / died, and lower leaves are wrinkled (all suggesting under-watering?). The majority of the plant has turned a dark flat green-brown colour (caused by stress / something to do with light I assume) but there are also patches of black on a few leaves (a sign of over watering?). Here are some photos:

The soil is potting mix / grit / perlite (equal of each). Last year I watered once monthly during winter. This year I've watered less frequently. Seeing it look distressed I watered a couple of weeks ago but it's possibly looking worse since then...

I have a smaller one that is in a similar state (minus black areas on the leaves) which I un-potted today - no sign of root rot. The soil mix was very compact and quite wet centrally.

So, do you think I should repot it? Water it more? Or just leave it alone for a bit? I just don't know what to do to save it.

All comments appreciated!

Comments (17)