SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

When it rains it pours! (long)

OklaMoni
7 years ago

My mother ended up in the hospital. My sister went to visit, but mother would not open the downstairs door... via button. A neighbor let my sister in the condo building. Then, she tried to get mother to open the door. Nothing. She rang the door bell, and pleaded, and finally heard a very faint: I can't make it to the door.

Well, sis was insistent, and mother finally opened the door. Mother was severely dehydrated and emaciated looking.

Sis always brings food and tea in a thermos, and proceeded to give mother tea, and fed her part of a sandwich.

Then she called her friend, who suggested to get the emergency doc (they have that in Germany) to come. Doc ended up calling for an ambulance, and mother ended up in the hospital.

I talked to German sis this morning, local time. Mother is in a total care home now. Will never be allowed back to her condo... as she doesn't have the strength to take care of herself. She is 87.

My Aussie sis I decided we would fly to Germany to clean out the condo either for mother to live in it again, or to sell, depending on the outcome from the docs and the social workers. We just didn't want our sis to have the whole burden of the take care of your mother thing.

Well, German sis thinks that is not needed yet... and tells Aussie sis go on the planned vacation.

Now here it gets interesting.

Aussie sis is a lot like me, and adventures. She went camping along the ocean, way out in no where land. Fell while climbing over some cliffs, and might have broken ribs. It took her two days of mostly laying around in her tent to get the oomph to take her tent down and drive (4 hours) back home. She arrived yesterday evening.

I just talked to her. She sounds like talking is hurting too. I told her, to get herself to the ER pronto, and let me know the results. I hope, there is no real damage inside... a broken rib will heal.

All these years while she has been in Australia she had never needed a doctor...

She had called a friend (from her tent), that used to be a nurse, and asked her to call back, that she would like to talk to her.

Well, that friend didn't know why, and how quick she wanted to talk.. and of course, she hasn't heard back.

Meanwhile,
of course, a trip to Germany for the two of us to dissolve my mothers
condo is on hold... till I hear, how she is doing after she knows more.

I may fly over, and do the job with my brother... which might be more of a hindrance than a help (from him).

only time will tell. Moni

Comments (24)