SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28531818

Looking for an explanation of IKEA cabinet system

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

In another thread, I was narrowing down laminate countertops to update the look in my kitchen with honey oak cabinets (structurally sound but dated) and blah laminate counters that aren't in good shape. We think they were put in 35-40 years ago. New cabinets weren't in the budget so we wanted to do a low-budget makeover for now with new counters and a different paint color for the wall. Before we do this, I want to make sure new cabinets are truly out of reach right now.

I have been reading a lot of info on IKEA cabinets and how people commonly use Scherr doors and drawer fronts with them. The part I'm confused about is the sides on the cabinets that will show. I'm talking about things like an island, the end of a cabinet run or a cabinet that houses a wall oven, etc. How do you deal with all those areas to match the front (whether you use IKEA fronts or get them from elsewhere) so it looks like it all belongs together and hides the white IKEA cabinet lurking beneath? Just trying to figure out how this works. I did start an IKEA kitchen design on their planner last year that didn't get very far because I struck out on making any sort of a layout that made sense in my odd kitchen with wall limitations.

Our IKEA is 2 hours away so before we drive up there to look at some of this in person, I want to do some pricing from home to see if it's even in the ballpark of being a possibility, so I'm trying to figure out all the materials I would need at this point.

Comments (8)