SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rimoxie

Advice on counters - white cabinets, blue island

Amy Kirshner
7 years ago

After several months of making selections and renovation, I am starting to second-guess my original vision for our kitchen. Our kitchen is a U shape with an island in the middle. We will have white (BM Decorator's white) cabinets around the perimeter and the island will be blue (BM Symphony Blue). Our backsplash is a sort of fired brick texture white/gray subway tile. I had planned on a marble-looking quartz for all counters, but now am worried it is too much white and too stark. I figured I would warm up the space a bit with brass pendants or other fixtures, but then I started thinking about different counters since we haven't yet selected those (and everything else is pretty much selected). As a side note, we are a family with young kids and I need to pick surfaces that are not super fussy in terms of maintenance. Here are the options I am thinking about --

1. Quartz on perimeter, quartz on island

2. a gray soapstone or leathered gray granite on perimeter, and quartz on island -- con for me is that I am worried we are getting too many colors/finishes in one small space. (Soapstone brings with it its own maintenance issues, but I think it's probably doable).

2. Quartz on perimeter, butcher block on island -- con for me would be that we have wood floors too and it might be too much wood to have the butcher block island. Plus we have a sink in the island and I am worried about water damage.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. What am I missing in this decision? Should I stick with my original plan for quartz all around? Perhaps I should veer towards a more gray'ish quartz, versus a white quartz with veins?

thank you....

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!