SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Cabinet installation: is this acceptable (cosmetic & structural)?

javiwa
7 years ago

We had Showplace cabinets installed and are waiting for our dealer to return with remedies to both manufacturer and installation issues (my comments here). I'd hijacked the original thread long enough, so am starting my own (thanks, Jakuval). DH and I are essentially empty nest, and the kitchen is lightly (but regularly) used.

I know cosmetically 'acceptable' is in the eyes of the beholder, but where to go with some of this? Are we past the point of no return, what's done is done, etc.?

First, possibly a quirk with Showplace cabinets/uppers (?): the interior right/left sides of the upper cabinets gap increasingly from back to front -- has anyone else experienced this? This isn't about load on the bottom shelf, as the same gapping occurs in the 15"w uppers that hold nothing more than glasses and coffee mugs.

During installation, the helper/apprentice caulked the vertical intersection between every cabinet and filler piece. I thought this was odd/non-standard, but was told, "Don't worry, it'll be fine. It's paintable caulk, and we'll just color it in." Within 15-20 minutes, he went at it with the touch-up marker -- predictably, that did not go well. We ended up with a mushed mess because the caulk was still tacky and the marker's tip wasn't fine enough to fit into the crevices. The spillover onto the cabinet/filler surface is obvious. The result is simply ugly -- I don't even know if the caulk can be removed at this point without damaging the cabinets. My cabinets have a matte finish, and the touch-up material is shiny. And from far away, all the residual caulk looks like the cabinets are dinged/damaged -- not at all how a 'new' kitchen should look.

He was also charged with doing the rest of the touch-up, mainly filling all the nail/brad holes with the wax crayon. (He told me midway that he hated doing finish work.) Oh, jeez -- terrific. He filled some of the holes, then took a rag and swiped it across the entire spans of moulding to remove the excess. All of our moulding now appears to have smudgy grease marks running across them:

A neighbor whose been in the kitchen design business for decades saw this, and asked, "And they're going to replace all the moulding for you, right?"

I spoke to the dealer, and he told me it was an easy fix: just wipe it down w/ Dawn dish soap. I tried that, with no success. (Pros or Showplace: at this point, I'm happy to clean this mess up myself -- please tell me what to do.)

Toekick gap: is this acceptable?

On to the structural concerns. Joseph Corlett, Sophie Wheeler, and others have time and again cautioned that using drywall screws for load-bearing applications is a major no-no. Does black screw always = drywall screw? If so, it appears those are what were used to hang all our uppers. I'm happy to post a close-up of the screws, if that'll help ID. Below are three pics of the back edge of one of our 33" -- view from left to right:

Drywall screw up there? It must've been a short one, judging by how far it's sunk into the cabinet wood -- will this hold? I don't want this thing to come crashing down on my head.

(another black screw) During installation (some of you may recall from my original posts), screws were driven into the wall, but there was a large gap between cabinet back and drywall. This also caused the cabinet backs to bow outward towards the drywall. After seeking advice here, I asked the installer/dealer to properly shim the gap and then screw the cabinet onto the wall. Looks like they just went behind and jammed shims in. Is this OK?

This looks like a 'proper' wood screw on the right end of the cabinet.

Joining of adjacent cabinet units: In all the cabinet installation videos I've watched (just to educate myself), as each unit was installed, it was attached/screwed to the adjacent cabinet. Below are underside views of two banks of uppers. They screwed together the left uppers, but not the right. Should this be done at this point? I've asked twice, and feel like I'm being ignored/forgotten. If it's not a structural necessity, I'll skip this request. (The two cabinets are not otherwise attached to each other.)

FWIW, we didn't go cheap: we went by Showplace's reputation (based on GW pro/dealer recs) and found a local dealer who has Houzz page/presence and has garnered multiple Best of Houzz accolades. And, as mentioned, SP's Rockport Gray wash is simply beautiful. No, Jakuval -- have not seen the bamboo. Why would I tease myself like that?! ;)

If anyone's made it this far, you deserve a medal...and my sincere thanks.

Comments (56)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz