SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njwade

Budget from GC -- acceptable?

njwade
11 years ago

Hi, I'm a new poster -- have been lurking for a while as I plan my kitchen renovation, and I have been so impressed with the wealth of knowledge and information shared on this site!

I am hiring a GC to do my renovation -- I work too much to try to keep tabs on a bunch of subs. This is somebody who has worked with people I know, so I decided to go with him without shopping around. My renovation will include a complete demolish of the current kitchen as well as a bathroom and pantry, removing several walls (including external and interior load-bearing), and expanding the kitchen into what is currently a screened-in porch and connecting it with the tv room. The kitchen area will be approximately 450 square feet.

The initial budget before the subs came over and provided their bids was $127,000, which was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it was doable. I just got the "hard budget," which is $140,000 (attached hopefully). I have asked several questions, such as why did the electrical jump to $8,000. The explanation was that the electrician needs to add 200 amps to cover the new appliances. I asked for a break-down on the cabinets, and the "break-down" I received had 3 lines -- one for the cost for the main cabinets, one for the wet bar, and one for the island. I asked about the appliances because I found my appliances online for $13,000 instead of the $17,000 listed on the quote. The repsonse I got was that I wasn't factoring in tax ($1,000) and install ($1,000), and I would get a warranty getting them through his guy. And frankly, I felt like each question was met with some level of frustration for me asking the questions.

I realize it's a red flag that my GC at least appears to be frustrated by my questions, and we are going to have to discuss this before I sign a contract. I have searched the forum and it looks like at least some people think it's acceptable to ask for invoices from subs -- does that include asking for the quotes at this point? Because presumably since the GC is adding 20% for his fee, the other numbers should be just the quotes, right?

For those of you who have used GCs -- does this budget look acceptable or typical? Am I wrong to expect more detail? I need to cut the extra $13,000, but I don't know how to do that without having more of a break-down on how much these things cost. For example, are those 15 can lights running up the electrical? Or did the pot filler jack up the plumbing cost?

And do these charges look anywhere near reasonable -- for example, is paying $500 for insurance typical? What about $3,250 for dumpsters? $450 for a port-a-potty? I know these costs vary from area to area. I am in a historic, intown, relatively high-priced neighborhood in Atlanta, so I assume my cost will be on the high side compared with other places. Also, my contractor is very much in demand and has a number of other projects ongoing.

Sorry for the many, somewhat general questions. I guess I just need a reality check....

Thanks so much in advance for any advice on these questions and for all of the advice you have already given others that has also helped me!

Comments (18)