SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

All of my roses have started to leaf out crazy early! What to do!?

KnoxRose z7
7 years ago

Hello all! It's been a minute since I've been in the forums so I apologize if this is a duplicate question.
Due to the unusually warm temperatures we've been experiencing here in East Tennessee lately, almost ALL of my roses have started to leaf out prematurely. Some more than others, definitely the china & tea relatives most of all (Ducher is growing new basal shoots and everything!) and it is only now the first day of February! Usually we have some temperature fluctuations every year, but for the last month the highs have been mostly in the 60s, with a few 30 degree days intermixed, a few days ago we had snow! I've only been growing roses for a few years and have never before experienced this level of growth this early in the year! I'm thinking that we will inevitably have some very cold temperatures returning soon (usually February is bitterly cold) and I'm so afraid it is going to kill all this new beautiful growth I am seeing.

Also, what of the pruning?! I haven't even begun to prune anything! I usually like to wait until late February/ early March just to be sure that I don't trigger mass new growth before the Dogwood winter inevitably comes and wipes out everything!

Is there anything I can do to slow this down, should I prune, should I just calm down and see what happens? I'm so confused and worried about my garden!
Thanks all for listening/responding!

Jessica

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County