SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

would like to discuss spacing of roses (noisettes)

User
7 years ago

This subject -spacing of roses-seems to be one of the "thorniest"(lol)!,and I realize there's no right or wrong answer. I did a search on this forum and the threads that came up sure as heck prove that! One comment I particularly liked was the one about how, if you plant a rose with very close spacing, it will surely get huge fast,whereas if you plant it with ample spacing, it will definitely wither and die (lol). Well, now that's a joke...sort of,though back when I started I spaced climbers the full 2-3 meters apart, and they didn't flourish, though doubtless lack of good soil prep was part of the issue.I also know the rule about spacing them taking into consideration their estimated final size,but we all know that that, too, is n't a lot of help sometimes.

This year I bought some real rarities from Becky Hook, among which are five noisettes. I have no idea how big they will get, or even their habits; some are not even listed on HMF. They are:

Vicomtesse D'Avesnes

L'Arioste

Lily Metchersky

Ju Purple Noisette

Wang's Purple Noisette

Now, if any of you know/grow any of these, I trust you'll chip in with info, but my guess is that these are very, very rare,and I'm not much counting on hearing of actual experience. Yet I know that some of you out there have a lot of knowledge about noisettes as a group,and I'd like to pick your brains a bit,if you will let me.Are most noisettes of the bushy type, or of the climbing habit? With no info available on the final size or habit of these noisettes,how would you work spacing?

Comments (11)