SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

The Definitive Guide to Quartzite

karin_mt
7 years ago

I wanted to sum up the most common questions and answers about quartzite in one tidy place. There is an abundance of misinformation out there, even among folks who are well-intentioned. I worked with the Marble Institute of America to help clear this up and here it is!

http://usenaturalstone.com/definitive-guide-quartzite/

In related news, I went to the International Surface Event trade show 2 weeks ago to teach a Rocks 101 workshop to dealers, fabricators, installers, and masons. We did a hands-on geology lab, with samples of all kinds of different stone to work with. The workshop was tons of fun and people were digging the hands-on sleuthing to try to figure out what rock was what. Folks seemed to really appreciate the geologic approach to identifying stone.

My favorite quote: "Wait, so you're telling me there is no such thing as soft quartzite? Woah. What do I tell my customers now?"

Slowly, but surely, we're getting there in helping people tell the difference between real quartzite vs. marble, and dolomitic marble, and any other imposter. It helps when customers get in the act too - this pushes dealers to do better.

One fellow forum member was there. Not sure of his forum handle, but it was fun to connect IRL!

Comments (59)