SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t_tigger

Were we sold marble when it was supposed to be quartzite?

John McElwee
6 years ago

Howdy.

We had our new countertops install last Saturday and they were called "Moonlight Gray" quartzite. The rep says it's in the Super White quartzite family. I cannot find any reference to a Moonlight Gray anywhere. But anyhooo... The reason I'm think it's not quartzite is that it scratches very easily (tried in an inconspicuous spot). It's got swirl marks (like a car gets from a car was that uses brushes). The rep insists it's quartzite. When they drilled the holes for the faucet and dishwasher airswitch, their drill easily cut a hole like it was butter. We have a cheap rolling cart that has a granite countertop on it and it does not scratch. They supposedly sealed it with a 15 year "dry seal" (it came in a can and was wet going on). They didn't clean off all the fabrication markings (white paint pen) and those are now "ghosts" under the sealer. They're coming back to hopefully correct some fabrication issues. The problem is, this was the only slab they had and we're sure that one counter (72x13) needs to be replaced. Can't fix the bad corners.

So... I guess my major question above all else is how do I determine what I've got and if it's not quartzite, what should I do? I'd hate to (but would) contact my CC company file a dispute.

Thanks.

Comments (40)