SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schreibdave

Granite back splash issue

schreibdave
7 years ago

We are in the final stages of a new build. I made a bad decision on the placement of the outlets above our master bath counter top and now I am trying to find a good solution that does not entail deconstruction.

The counter top is granite. The standard around here is a 4" matching granite back splash. Unfortunately, I had the electrician set two outlets in the side walls above the counter top, centered at about 3". As a result, the outlets would bisect the 4" of backsplash. That's not going to work.

Just to be clear, the counter top has wall on 3 sides - left, back and right. The offending outlets are in the left and right walls. The back wall has no outlets.

Besides ripping a lot of finished materials (painted sheetrock, trim, cabinets, etc) out I think we have 3 options:

1 - Do 4" back splash on the back wall but no back splash on the left and right walls. This would be the cheapest and easiest solution.

2. Do 4" back splash on the back wall and 6" back splash on the left and right walls. This would allow both outlets to be contained within the field of granite back splash. But it might look odd.

3. Have the outlets lowered and laid horizontally so that they lay within the 4" backsplash. This might look ok but it's the least convenient option.

Attached is a picture of the MODEL house. It is not my house. Under the shower glass you can see one outlet laid horizontally in a field of tile - not granite. I think our side wall is a few inches taller than the wall shown here.

What do people think?

Comments (12)