SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sebastian_ibsen

Can it saved? Urgent indoor lemon tree question

Sebastian Ibsen
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago I found a sprouting seed in a lemon I bought at the grocery store. I thought it was kinda funny, so I put it in some soil in a small container. Much to my surprise it sprouted and has been growing (slowly) ever since. Since then I've grown quite attached to my little tree, as it is the first plant I've ever cared for.

I live in Denmark in northern Europe in an apartment, so it's always indoors not getting a lot of direct sunlight. The summer turns into fall pretty quickly here, which meant that I accidentally overwatered it as the temperature dropped and the water didn't evaporate as fast. I think the roots started to rot, as the leafs started to turn yellow and coil. I tried cutting down on watering and instead spray the leafs with water in an attempt to saturate the tree. But the water here contains a lot of calcium and soon a white layer covered the leaves, so I switched to use rain water.

However, it did little to help and now the leafs are completely dry and shriveled and I have no idea what to do! I used a cheap soil mix when planting it not knowing any better (it's literally called "budget"). So my thought is I may be able to save the tree if I repot it in better draining soil. But winter can last a long time in Denmark and snow can fall until the start of April. So my questions are:

Can I save my tree?

Should I repothink it?

Should I do it now even though there's not a lot of sunlight or wait til April when the weather turns?

This tree has become quite important to me, so I'll do a lot to try to save it, and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer me.

Thanks

- Sebastian

Comments (5)