SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwiggins7aidaho

Replacement help needed

dwiggins7aidaho
7 years ago

Three juniper Skyrockets in my east-facing backyard need to go. They provided a screen between one end of my back neighbor's yard and mine. We have shallow (20' depth) backyards separated by a 6' fence.

Have given up on conifers due to lack of space and partial shade from a nearby mature, large crab with screaming pink blooms and non-persistent fruit. The crab is on the south side of my yard and is mid-depth between my house and the back fence and 4' from the side fence.

Which leaves deciduous small trees or narrow shrubs which will get tall, and screen but not block part of my neighbor's house as the junipers did.

Note: between the crab and side fence and extending around the corner of the back fence, there are 8-9 oddly well-behaved Mahonia aquifolium planted by the birds--about 9' high and in bloom at the same time as the screaming pink crab. I like the Mahonia, but don't want more.

Soil is clay, neutral to slightly alkaline. Summers are very hot and dry. Precipitation is low and summer irrigation is necessary. The area in question receives moderate irrigation on both sides of the fence and gets morning (over the fence) and late afternoon sun (over the house).

I've done a lot of reading, but haven't come up with much. Amelanchier Altaglow is interesting because it is upright, has white blooms, is self-sterile, and tolerates some shade, but it doesn't seem to be available.

I'm more interested in growth form than foliage color or fruiting. Bloom isn't necessary, but would rather stay away from pink.

Any suggestions?

Comments (15)