SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Early Birds

Kes Z 7a E Tn
7 years ago

Hi!

I'm not on this forum often. I usually check in at springtime or when I need some gardening inspiration. It looks like we could all use a little right now since activity seems to be a little slow.

Anyway, what are your earliest flowers or shrubs that say "Spring is coming!" ? Our winter has been a rollercoaster of warm days interspersed with cold gray days this year. We went from a long, hot, droughty summer to winter. Fall was almost nonexistent. My one snowdrop just finished blooming. Silly thing began blooming just after Christmas. Snowdrops don't like it here so I'm happy to still have this one. My little siberian crocus 'Firefly' is putting on a show this year. It is also a bulb that is only marginally happy here but these seem to have found their sweet spot. There was one early yellow crocus with brown markings that came up and bloomed in early January. Several years ago I planted around 8-10 varieties so I assume that this is the lone survivor. It is still too early for the 'tommies' which seem to be the only crocuses that return dependably for me. The lenten roses are putting on new growth but no flowers yet and the camellia is just full of buds. Hopefully the camellia will wait till the flowers won't be frozen but it's a crapshoot every year. The little lent lilies and van sion's, passaround daffodils that seem to do especially well here, jump out of the ground with buds but they evidently haven't seen enough sun yet to bloom. Still too early for all my tazettas and even the big old-fashioned trumpets. My back yard looks very bleak.

What about you?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting