SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victorianbythesea

Limited space around kitchen island

Kat
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are just starting a kitchen renovation and I'm wondering if anybody has lived first hand with the minimum space requirements around a kitchen island and if so how you have found the feel in your daily use? I know the bare minimum recommended is 42" by most, and some say 48". I love to bake and a table in the middle is just not working well for that task. So as it stands now we will have 41" on the dishwasher and double wall oven side(the double ovens won't really open into the island space though). 40" on the range top side, 41" on the island seating side and only 36" on a side that faces a peninsula to the dining room.

The overhang on the island is 15". If I go to a 12" overhang I could pick up 3" for the range top side, but then would the overhang be too tight for sitting comfortably? Or I could push the space behind the island overhang area to say 39" and people will just have to walk the other way around if somebody is seated at the island. Honestly where the seating is won't be a main pathway for most people as it's not now. I've measured it out on the floor and walk around it all day, not stepping within where the island will be and it seems to work, but realize that when it's actually built up in the air it will feel much different. Any thoughts?

Comments (6)