SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
206nan

Living wage growing pains

Mimou-GW
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I want to state up front that I am in favor of paying people a “living wage” and I am hoping this is not a hot topic. I guess I’m just trying to understand all the pros and cons. I know some states allow restaurant workers to be paid less or let tips make up the difference but that is not the case in here. Everyone 16 and older is entitled to minimum.

I live in WA where the minimum wage increased from $9.47/hr to $11.00. In some cities, including Seattle the minimum wage is $15.00/hr. It has been less than a month (statewide) since it has been implemented, businesses, especially restaurants seem to be struggling with the adjustments. In anticipation of the increase some restaurants raised prices and some are adding a “living wage surcharge” - generally about 5%. I have certainly had surcharges added for electricity or water when we lived in California. Based on discussions bubbling up on FB, some customers are unhappy with surcharges. I think that people who generally tip 20% will go back to tipping 15% if there is a surcharge. I hope eventually these costs will be reflected in menu prices.

One friend who owns a small restaurant says that even though he raised menu prices, they had to let 2 people go. He has some formula he has always worked from (it is computerized) that balances labor costs vs food cost vs sales. Does he need to change the formula, raise prices even higher or just try to work with leaner crews or add a surcharge too or take a smaller profit? I know it will all work itself out eventually. Growing pains.

I think this is an idea (living wage) that will gradually come to more and more communities. I think some families will eat out less. DS had an activity at school the other day from 4-8, he asked to go to Mickey D’s beforehand. His big mac meal was $10. I hadn’t been there in years but that was surprising. That said, I do enjoy and plan to continue to enjoy eating out at our locally owned restaurant establishments. Obviously this will effect all businesses not just restaurants but this is where it is most noticable. Experiences here in WA or other states that have raised their minimum wage? Would you be put off by the surcharge?

Comments (25)