SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

Carnage

kitasei
7 years ago

I live in an area in the Hudson Valley, NY with coyotes, deer, a barred owl, hawks, raccoons, a fox, skunks, woodchucks, huge (8-foot) black rat snakes, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, voles and moles that I know about. There is an area in my yard that is covered with what I assumed were vole holes because of the size and tracks, and the damage they have done to the roots of new plantings. I have been putting out the traps with the mechanism that propels up to five into a separate chamber. The first night I caught 8. Since then i have caught none, but something has managed to break into two of the six traps, requiring dexterity and strength. This I assumed was a raccoon. Now I have just come across a scene of carnage. Tufts of fur about 1 inch long - gray fluff with brown and silver tips. My theory is that this vole (and mole?) buffet has attracted multiple predators and one got another? Any explanation for why I'm not getting any more? Is 8 possibly all there could be with this many holes?

Here is the scattered fur:

Here is one of the tufts:

One of the larger holes that was under a leaf, with some kind of dropping:

A nearby hole (one of probably 20):

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions