SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Surveying the carnage

JohnnieB
16 years ago

It was a beautiful warm afternoon so after work I went out and walked around my garden to survey the winter carnage. One thing about growing tropicals, and even hardy perennials: the garden really takes a hit in the winter. It's still too early for most perennials to be growing; not even my daffodils are blooming yet. But all in all, I can't complain; it was a mild winter and all my palms look great. On the other hand, some plants just don't look good coming out of winter no matter how mild! Here are some of the sorrier-looking plants.

First, a view of my gardens from an upstairs window, showing how bleak it looks in the winter and early spring:

Asplenium scolopendrium; this is an evergreen fern, but still gets a bit beat up by winter cold. It has been a fun un-fernlike fern to grow, and one I haven't seen in many other gardens. It will put out beautiful new growth shortly:

Closeup:

Cycas panzhihuaensis; even 17 degrees was too cold for its foliage, all of which fried somewhere in the low 20's; but the petiole bases under the mulch are still firm and green, and since it survived 7 degrees the previous winter, I'm looking forward to some good regrowth in a few weeks:

Musa basjoo; yes, that pile of crap used to be my beautiful bananas (I don't try to protect the stems, just give them a big pile of mulch):

One big surprise--my fatsias are loaded with fruit! This was the third time they bloomed but the first time any fruit has survived. I'm hoping it will continue to develop and ripen over the next few weeks. I was really surprised that our low of 16 or 17 degrees didn't destroy the fruits, which have been hanging on all winter:

And spring is just around the corner!

Comments (6)

Sponsored