SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
metrovavin

Should I discard a plant that had spider mites but looks cured?

metrovavin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am a newbie to hoya culture with a nicely growing small leaf Cumingiana [cummingiana?], one stem about 18" long. About 4 months after I got it, I noticed the characteristic webbing of spider mites, although I saw no mites. I immediately isolated the plant in a large plastic bag and applied miticide three times at five day intervals. None of the other plants have shown any signs of mites, although I have not checked with a magnifying glass.

The Cumingiana looks fine, no sign of mites, although I need to check with a magnifying glass or the white paper test. It is still quarantined in a large bag. My question is whether it is worth taking the risk for this one plant of putting it with other plants, after some period of time, if careful checking shows no mites, or it would be smarter to just discard it and get another one? Will the other plants have been exposed to mites anyway if the infestation got to the point of a visible webbing (but no mites) on the Cumingiana? There are about 150 plants in the room, about 20 of them are hoyas. The others all appear to be pest free.

If it is not too risky, is one month a long enough quarantine time with careful checking with a magnifying glass?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been critical to my being able to grow these plants.

Comment (1)

Sponsored