SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Finding Family Mementos/Heirlooms. (Passing them on?)

artemis_ma
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm sorting through my kitchen cabinets preparing for my move somewhere I hope soon down the line. There's one lower cabinet hard to access due to it being on an angle, and so stuff simply got "stuffed" there, until now when I am going through things.

I found stuff I didn't know I had, and stuff I forgot I had.

Including this set of miniature spoons my Mom gave me ages ago. I do remember now, her passing them on to me. They're silver, with gold ladle portions. My mother's mother's initials (Grandmother's) are engraved in them. The box is covered in somewhat-worn velvet, the interior fabric is silk, and the clasp still works.

I have no offspring of my own to pass them on to (and I doubt any of my cats would care much...) so I just wrote my brother asking him if either of his daughters would be interested in the set. I have my thumb in the photo for a sense of scale. Yes, I need to polish the silver, but I just found them today.

I totally "get" a younger generation not wanting to be saddled with the old but well made furniture of bygone generations, even if the objects belonged to related relatives directly up the family tree -- I'm getting rid of some of that and only keeping the items I really like when I move -- but I am curious as to how and if this also relates to family keepsakes and heirlooms when the items don't take up much space, and do have "note" to them - such as the engraved initials - that a future generation might appreciate?

Thoughts?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH