SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave1mn2

Pruning, Earlyness and Family Heirloom found?

dave1mn2
15 years ago

As mentioned in another post, Purdue University has shown in a 2 yr trial that initial pruning of lower suckers reduced yield but increaced size of most varieties tested. Taking that further, I've just about convinced myself that moderate prining does encourage earlier fruits. This is not proof, merely my experience, honestly presented.

The main tom patch today. Almost all toms harvested this yr have come from here. These plants get much more attention than my other inground toms. Everybody gets Garden Disease Control at the same time and treated for pests but much less water and feed and almost no pruning.

This is Yellow Pear from the main patch. Its been pruned by Wilber's method and has produced a doz or so nice ripe fruits. Its a touch over 4' tall.

Here is its conterpart that gets very little tending and because of the need to protect it from deer has been wrapped with chicken wire making prunig a hassle I chose to forgo. This plant exceeds 8' and has several mutliples the mass of the other plant. It has many fruits but much smaller than the other and has yet to give even a hint of blush.

This Gardener's Delight from the main patch has already given 8 or so tasty fruits of 1-1.25". As you see, more are on the way.

Its neglected conterpart is just about ready to cough up its first.

There are others but because of the chicken wire wrap, these are the best photographic examples.

On a different note and along the lines of not missing something till its gone, it is possible that thanks to a family friend the cherry tom of my boyhood is recovered.

I know its late but I only need a few to ripen to tell and will keep either plants or cuttings alive through winter if necessary. Thanks to a story too long to bother with here, I may have some 5yr old seeds from the original that I'll be planting next yr either way.

Comments (13)