SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Rug suggestions to go with these curtains?

laughablemoments
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm considering using this fabric for curtains in our living room for a cottage country look. The walls will be beadboard, maybe in a shade of white, and the couches are green. The floors will be a mid tone wood, likely laminate. What rug would you recommend? I figure we need a 9 x 12, but we could squeak by with an 8x11. Let's say under $400, and under $300 would be even better. Unless we stick with the rug we've got? Is that too much greenness going on?

Also, is this fabric too incohesive from the rest of the house? It's the cheeriest I can find. (We are in the midst of a week long stretch of gloom followed by fog, drizzle, and unending gray, so cheery seems really important right now.)

Note that our couches look much less silvery in real life.

Dining room:

Comments (37)

• torreykm
    7 years ago

I love your fabric choice! It should work fine with the small/medium check in your dining room. Re a rug, how about a simple cream color? It appears that most of it will be covered by furniture.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/henley-rug-ivory/?pkey=csolid-rugs&&csolid-rugs

laughablemoments thanked torreykm
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

I love your fabric choice, too! Can you get a picture of your current rug in brighter light, maybe with the fabric next to it, so we can see how the colors go, or do you not have the fabric yet?

laughablemoments thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Related Discussions

Do these curtains and this rug go together?

Q

Comments (12)
    Valley Mist has green undertones and your drapery looks more blue green, so when trying to build on this palette, you need to go to different coloring. In this case, a gray with possibly purple undertones would work well. But rug should be very subtle. Possibly a tone on tone gray or beige. Sometimes Pier 1 and World Market have some great rugs. I would do a wool rug in a dining room easier to maintain. I personally don't like Jute or Sisal. Tough in a dining room to get little pieces of dropped food out and wine stains, almost impossible.
    ...See More

Throw pillow/curtain suggestions to match area rug?

Q

Comments (8)
    Try removing the throw pillows for a week to see if they are really needed. If you do actually use them, try some reddish pillow covers from the reddish color in the rug.
    ...See More

furniture,rugs and curtains to go with cappuccino walls in living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Paint comes last. Choose furnishings first then match paint to coordinate, not the other way around.
    ...See More

Curtains and throw pillows to go with new rug

Q

Comments (4)
    I think you need more substantial curtains to balance the heavy leather sectional. Look for lined panels as they hang better. A light buttercream/pale yellow from the rug might work. Use the same for pillows with the gray from the rug. No navy, it's too dark. These are lined curtains from wayfair (just for reference not color). How many windows are there? For the best look you need 2 panels per window
    ...See More
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

from rugsusa.com

Or 219.00 for a 9x12 from esalerugs.com

laughablemoments thanked nosoccermom
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Use seagrass, NOT sisal - it doesn't wear as well. Seagrass wears beautifully - DD has it in her LR and DR and it still looks great 18 years later. Did I mention she has two sons?

laughablemoments thanked Anglophilia
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Lovely drapery fabric............too bad it doesn't work with your current furnishings. The draperies would work with in a sage color, but there is too much contrast and not enough complementary colors.

I would start with the rugs and then select the drapes

laughablemoments thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for the support and suggestion, Torreykm. I should have said that we have 7 kids and 2 dogs. A cream might not be the best in this case. Pretty rug though!

Thank you, my3dogs. I'll try to snap a closeup picture later today. It's just as gray today, so the lighting is going to be tricky.

I don't have the fabric yet, just doing online searches right now. I'll paste in some more pictures I've found of the fabric below. If this print works, I plan to get tablecloths and hang them from rings, just like we did in the dining room.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, no soccer mom. Unfortunately those greens have too much yellow in them to work well with our furniture. I appreciate you looking for so many options, though!

I love the look of sea grass, anglophilia. That and orientals (as long as they don't have washed out fade marks, ugh.) We still have little people that play on this floor. Is sea grass uncomfortable to roll, crawl, sit, and play on? The green wool rug in our room was love at first touch for DH, since it's quite soft. (Interpretation: A scratchy rug would be hard to convince him to get!)

Thank you so much for the mockup BeverlyFLADeziner! I agree the fabric doesn't look the best against the couches in that picture. Sage is a pretty accurate call on our couch color. I'm wondering though, if the curtain fabric isn't quite as bright in real life?

Here are the other pictures:

ETA:

(Poor girl, she looks a little saggy and lumpy without her throw pillows dressing her up. I can relate, lol.)

• User
    7 years ago

Can you please share how you used table cloths for the curtains in the dining room???looks lovely.

laughablemoments thanked User
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I love the look and durability of seagrass, but, honestly, it's rough on knees. Maybe a jute rug or a seagrass lookalike?

Jute. 263.00

Wool/Sisal, 172.00

All are 9x12 from www.naturalarearugs.com in the Sale section.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Turning tablecloths into curtains isn't too difficult, sheilaaus122. The hardest part was ironing all of that fabric after it was washed. I ordered tablecloths that were a little longer than what I needed and then folded over the excess fabric to get them to the right length. (You could hem them if you need them to open and close all the time. I didn't do this and the fabric sticks out when I slide the curtains around.) Clip the curtain rings along the fold line. I start by folding the top edge of the curtain in half. One clip goes at each end along the top of the curtain and another one goes in the middle of the top edge. Then fold the top of the curtain again, matching up the middle and one of the end clips so that you can find the midway point between the clips. Continue matching clips, folding, and clipping the midway points until you have as many clips as you want evenly spaced along the top edge. Thread them on your rod, arrange them, and done. (It's much easier to do this task than it is to describe it!)

• Peppapoodle
    7 years ago

I wonder if you could tea wash the fabric to make it look a little aged & not so stark against your sofas that have a bit of a muddier tone to them? That would be very cottagey-not a word, but ya know what I mean?!?

With 7 kids, I'd get a cheap indoor/outdoor rug that you can take outside with the water hose!! HD & Lowes should start bringing them out soon. I have one in front of my FP- which now has a few burn holes, but for $60- I'm not too upset. It looks like sisal & really not uncomfortable at all.

laughablemoments thanked Peppapoodle
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

My grandsons never objected to the seagrass, but it was in the LR and DR and that was not their typical area to play - just when visitors came or it was a holiday.

Jute wears terribly - total waste of money.

One's feet must get used to sisal and seagrass but it does eventually happen. They're such a great look, inexpensive and very durable.

laughablemoments thanked Anglophilia
  • localeater
    7 years ago

Here's a fun rug(esale rugs) that may work with the sofas and the fabric the 8*10 is $399, 9x12 $449(Palazzo Rug).

If you are less tied to the fabric these are 9x12s

Serapi Rug $449

10x13 $399 Tabriz cant post photo for some reason, http://esalerugs.com/green-10x13-tabriz-design-area-rug-33137043 

Santa Fe 9x12 449

laughablemoments thanked localeater
  • ctlane
    7 years ago

Beverly, where is the first rug you posted from. Not the ones in the rooms but the first one under that.

• localeater
    7 years ago

Laughable I updated my post above to include the photos that were missing

ALso wanted to share that esale is have a great sale right now.

I found this 9x12 for $199 it is in many colorways

laughablemoments thanked localeater
  • IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I disagree that the gorgeous floral fabric won't work with your current furnishings. I think it easily will. The mockup above doesn't seem to take into account the fact that the room photo is dark, and the floral fabric will not appear so stark in that same lighting as it does in the original photo which is only the fabric, not in any room context. I think you can certainly add pops of color, such as throw pillows and a rug that would create a beautiful harmony in this space. Your sofas are neutral - sort of like having a blank canvas to start with.

laughablemoments thanked IdaClaire
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Picking out rugs is tough. I've spent hours looking at rugs online at the links shared as well as at other retailers. I'm not a fan of a lot of the styles that are big right now, such as the trellis designs. With some of the take-offs of orientals, I see little men with creepy eyes or crawling beetles, lol. (I must have had an overactive imagination as a child. I remember seeing clowns in the woodgrain of the closet doors in my childhood home.)

Beverly, you found some great images of sweet, cheerful rooms. Thank you for posting them. Thank you too, for all the pictures and links, localeater.

I like those rugs, nosoccermom. I wish I could touch them. That style shows up in a lot of the living rooms I've pinned.

Using an indoor/outdoor rug is not a bad idea, as long as we can feel it and make sure it's soft enough, Peppapoodle. I've pinned a few from Home Depot, but I would like to stop in and see them in person to check the feel.

As pretty as the sea grass rugs are, it sounds like they aren't going to pass the softness test. Thanks for the heads up about jute not lasting, Anglophilia. I was looking at some of those, but have now crossed them off the list.

I just placed an order for one Laura Ashley Geranium tablecloth right before you posted, Ida Claire. Once it comes, I'll update with pictures and then we can all see if it will really work or not.

Thank you all!

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I've had tightly woven jute rugs that lasted for 5-7 years. Granted, they were in my dining room, not entry.

Also check www.rugsusa.com

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good to know, no soccer mom. Thanks for the link. I'm having better success at this store than some of the others. Eagerly awaiting the fabric before moving forward, though...

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Google Orion Rugs they are sold at many locations including Home Depot and Lowe's. I just recently ordered one through home Depot and we love it. It's very soft and comfortable and it's an indoor outdoor rug that can be hosed off. There is no fake or plastic feel to it. It's a very nice rug. It was very reasonably priced and it had free shipping. That brand has a ton of prints and colors to choose from. This is the one I got, not what you are looking for, but an example.

laughablemoments thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll check that brand out ravencajun, thanks for the suggestion.

My tablecloth (curtain) has arrived. I'll try to be back with pictures soon!

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The "curtain" is here! I pinned it up with some push pins. : ) In the time it took me to hang it and pick up (this part of) the living room, the sun came out and left again. Such is life in our area. What do y'all think?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

I think it looks absolutely fine! Nice with the sofa and with the lamp at that end.

I bow to your bargain hunting prowess, Laughable!

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I adore it! Makes me miss my cottage décor, but can I just live vicariously through yours? So pretty!

laughablemoments thanked IdaClaire
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Looks very good. I think it goes well with the furniture and the art.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Very, very pretty. I can see it with a natural area rug, either seagrass, wool/sisal, jute, or lookalike.

Try www.naturalarearugs.com I've been quite happy with them.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

Beautiful!

laughablemoments thanked torreykm
  • always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

Two thumbs up :-)

laughablemoments thanked always1stepbehind
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

Lovely. I wish I could remember who found the perfect rug recently for their dining room. It was fabulous. I think they had been looking for a year - the room was cream and had pink and green accents i think. A lovely tall clock? I could picture a rug like that in this room, but of course I can not find the post!

laughablemoments thanked Boopadaboo
  • User
    7 years ago

It was beagles in her thread Do I need a new rug? I just found it on Google but I don't know how to link with my tablet.

laughablemoments thanked User
  • laughablemoments
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all!! I think these curtains make me five shades of happy. : ) I'm glad you like them and think that they work well with our couch, lamp, and artwork. I can hardly wait to get some beadboard wallpaper up and fix that silly ceiling (air mail!). DH is planning to vault the ceiling and then we want to plank it. Soon...

I don't know my3dogs, you have quite the prowess with bargain hunting yourself. I remember some pretty neat lamps and rugs you've found. And those island legs from a bed frame were quite clever. ; )

Aw, you sure can, Ida Claire. Do you have any links to your old house? I'd love to see it. I remember seeing the kitchen recently and I'd enjoy seeing more. Cottage style is my favorite. I have to be careful because I can swing more formal and traditional, but it's not what makes me the most comfortable.

Boopadoo, maybe someone else can do the remembering for you. I don't recall seeing that dining room, but sure would like to see it.

Just to confirm: Does the green rug really need to leave? It's ok if it does, I can use it elsewhere. But, I want to be absolutely sure before I go about buying another one.

• lisaam
    7 years ago

If you prefer to keep the green rug, perhaps cover the ottoman in a small print that includes pink, the brighter green and maybe brown and get a few pillows that include pink?

laughablemoments thanked lisaam
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Wonderful curtains!

The rug seems fine, add a splash of that pink to the foreground.

laughablemoments thanked artemis_ma
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with the current rug it's fairly neutral. The 2 things I would remove from the picture and see the difference is the throw on the ottoman and the blue color throw on the rocking chair. Bring in some of the same pinks from the curtains in throws or pillows. Or better yet make pillow covers from a matching table cloth or a cover for the ottoman. I personally would not have any type of Sisal rug if you have children that will be scooting around on it they can be painful.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    7 years ago

The rug can stay! I and my 3 dogs agree. :-)

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    7 years ago

I love the new curtains, especially with your artwork :) I agree that if you add some co-ordinating pillows or throws you may not need to change your rug, although I can't see the colour of it properly......on my ipad it looks beige-y rather than green!

Great idea to use tablecloths as curtains too!

laughablemoments thanked raphaellathespanishwaterdog