SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Do what you love ...

deegw
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'd love to hear other opinions about this. When someone here asks a question about how something looks, I assume they aren't perfectly happy with it and I try to make diplomatic suggestions.

Other people often say, "Who cares what people think? Just do what you love!".

I know much depends on the wording and the tone of the question. Some people just want positive reinforcement and that is usually pretty obvious in the post.

Personally, if I am happy with my space, I would never post a picture and ask opinions about it. Which is why I feel that if a person takes time to take a picture, load it, compose a question and post about it that they deserve a constructive (and polite!) response.

What do you think?

Comments (50)

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

D_gw said, "I know much depends on the wording and the tone of the question."

I think your comment says it all. Also, sometimes the question is about very taste-specific decor but the poster needs validation that it's okay to feature their train set or cookie jar collection in their decor, for example. In those cases, the only answer that seems reasonable to me is, "Do what you love."

Sometimes posters just want to participate in the forum and welcome any response without any intention of changing a thing in their house. That's okay, too, but I can understand why responses are more general if responders perceive that the originating poster doesn't really want to make changes.

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

When you like and what popular opinion or "expert" opinion do not match sometimes you want an opinion that will bridge the gap, give you more confidence or fuel as to why they are all wrong. Sometimes people try something new and they aren't really sure if they like it and want to see what other's think. It is a lot easier to post a picture here and ask then haul a gaggle of people through your home.

• Related Discussions

'Famous Artisans'

Q

Comments (3)
    Oh yeah.. heres what I could find... just wondering if there are others who made it as they have.. here's the Burgit one .. I heard about her on a show here (might only be seen in Canada Im not sure) called Recreating Eden...oops I see I spelled her name wrong in my previous message... her website in on the page but this just tells a bit about her Here is a link that might be useful: Recreating Eden Burgit Piskor
    ...See More

Want Hoya cuttings

Q

Comments (13)
    D. Don't grow it in full sun or you'll end up with a sunburned plant. The ones I put outside (I keep most inside...) I have in shaded spots. A bit of morning sun won't hurt them, though if they've been in a completely shaded spot, you have to acclimate it to getting sun over a couple of weeks. I'll bet what you have is the common carnosa (I've linked to one on MyHoya.com below.) Samoensis is one that would be more difficult to come by. As for flowers, they flower when they're ready... I know, that's vague. I've had rooted cuttings bloom, and I've had plants 6-8 years old and huge that finally bloomed. Be content to let it put on new growth, fertilize it when it's growing, and be patient. The flowers are well worth the wait. Check out the postings about Eleanor's VF-11 on this site. Denise in Omaha Here is a link that might be useful: Carnosa
    ...See More

can you make money selling tomatoes?

Q

Comments (19)
    I like your enthusiasm! Since you're starting from scratch at this, I'd recommend trying to keeep expenses down. The grow lights, for instance. Those and associated flats and shelving can be a huge expense if bought commercially. Since you have a year to plan, look for garage sales, scratch'n'dents, etc. I've found the low-cost shop lite variety to work just fine for plants. Generic fixtures for $10 and tubes for $1.30 each can be bought instead of the spendy "gro-lite" bulbs. "Better" stuff can always be bought later if you're successful. You probably already have most of the associated "garden" things you'll need, so that's a plus. Be realistic and crunch some numbers. If you spend $1000 on startup costs, can you reasonably expect to raise $1000 worth of tomatoes to break even? At $4 a pound, that's 250 pounds of tomatoes. Is that doable in your garden? If you can only fetch $2 a pound, you must raise 500 pounds. It all depends on actually growing saleable fruit, then being able to get it to market when it's ripe and the market accepting your product. Certainly doable, but still a lot of "if's." Or, if you sell seedlings, that's 667 plants, assuming $1.50 per plant, which I what I asked for this year. Figure 10 flats of starts, more or less. I built a 2'd x 4'w x 4'h shelf unit from 1x2 lumber and thin sheeting and equipped it with six dual-tube 48" shop lites (three light fixtures per shelf) for a cost of about $120. It will hold 8 flats with the top shelf open for larger plants that only get window light. Two or three of these would be enough to get started. The rest of your $1000 would go towards soil, seeds, flats, utilities, car expense, marketing, phone, etc. I start seeds in 72-size flats, but pot up before selling into larger individual pots. Once I do that, I can only fit 18 pots per flat. Keep that in mind, as it takes a whole lot more space, both horizontally and vertically, as your plants get larger before going to market. Overcrowding young plants only leads to disease and weak stems. (I know that problem too well, but I have only so much space for seedlings!) Let's say you're really frugal, and keep total cost down to $500. So, for your first season, you show a net profit of $500. I'd anticipate a minimum of 8 weeks from start to finish if only selling seedlings. That a profit of $62.50 per week. Um, that's before taxes. :-( You probably won't actually owe taxes, but remember that self-employed people pay about 15% Social Security tax once your earn more than $400 in a year. I guess it looks a little dismal from that perspective, in which case you need to scale the numbers up a bit. Grow more seedlings, get a higher price, reduce costs further or rethink what can be reasonably expected. Myself, I'd love to grow things for profit. I'm dabbling with the concept and sell a few extra plants each season. I sell maybe 30 plants and feel content making enough to pay for the bags of soil I buy to ammend the greenhouse. It might be that if you intend to grow and continue this venture, your costs and the space used in your home would be deductible. In which case, you may be able to offset your husband's income a bit by showing a loss as you get started. I'm sure I don't need to advise you on the IRS and the distinction between "hobby" and "professional" deductions! For the others reading this, suffice it to say you do need to show a profit within a few years to take all those startup cost deductions. Since your husband's income is so suddenly and drastically reduced, maybe look at income averaging for his tax picture. Your CPA experience may net a bigger gain than your gardening enterprise and may be more immediate, since you may be able to file an amended return. Perhaps you've already taken some steps in this regard, but it's worth looking into if not. Meanwhile, you can continue to look into the myriad details of a gardening enterprise. I'm a passable gardener, I'm not a CPA by any means and I've only driven by a Holiday Express. ;^) I have operated a self-employed business of one type or another since 1973, so I do have a little experience there. I always crunch some numbers first, before opening the checkbook, to see if my expectations can be met without straining the budget in the meantime. Good luck, notwithstanding my little "reality check" above, I'm there in spirit right beside you! -Ed
    ...See More

cabinet color -photos of my "house style" - need advice!

Q

Comments (31)
    The thing about using just a colored island is that island can be repainted later. If you want to go spring lilac or sunshine yellow or red lipstick, it's not nearly as much work, and it still makes a huge instant change. It's like having a nice white summer dress that you can dress up with whatever color cotton cardigan that you feel in the mood for by just digging it out of the closet. Add in different knobs and pulls (be sure to use a standard size like 3") and a new wall color, and those small changes give a completely different look to that basic white. So when styles change, you have the ability to change a bit with them without ripping out everything. That's the beauty of paint! And butcher block will never be out of style, because it's a functional choice. If the kitchen has super model bones as in the best most functional layout, whatever clothes it puts on will look fabulous, no matter what style those clothes might be.
    ...See More
  • melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    7 years ago

This forum is where I've learned many basic principles of good design, but there's a point where "do what you love" takes precedent.

Usually posters make it clear what type of feedback they're seeking, but not always. I think there will always be interiors that aren't universally appealing.

Sometimes I see requests for advice on rooms that look perfect to me, and the options being considered also look great. When things already seem to be set up to be successful then do what you love totally works.

Sometimes I see posts where the op really wants to do what they want, regardless. Do what you love totally works there too.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I think "do what you love" is silly in a design forum. I also think we all know that, in the end, we have myriad reasons for our choices and we certainly are not giving up something we love because of anonymous internet posters.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

I don't ask for help unless I feel something isn't right and I definitely welcome suggestions. My bedroom has really been improved by the suggestions made here, and often what's suggested just hadn't occurred to me. Likewise I assume if someone is asking for advice here they really mean it. I must admit that sometimes I don't respond to posts because the interior is so far removed from my taste that I can't give any helpful criticism, and I'm always glad to see that others are able to make suggestions.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

I totally agree with you, d-gw.

• User
    7 years ago

I think the response depends on how the question is posed. Sometimes a relatively new poster will say that they don't feel confident and will share that a friend or family member said something critical about their decor. In that case, I believe "do what you love" can be warranted. Sometimes those without a lot of experience decorating do need affirmation and positive reinforcement. They may think there are "rules" that they should abide by, as in the case where some think their artwork has to match the sofa.

• User
    7 years ago

"Do what you love" is sometimes the most valuable piece of advice to offer. It empowers people who might otherwise doubt their choices.

As the late, great Julia Childs said, "You must have the courage of your convictions". Sometimes, that helps with our oft-frought and trepidatious design decisions.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

mimipadv said what i wanted to say

it also takes us from the dangerous "perfect" territory. I personally didn't do many things in my life I was numerously told and encouraged to do, because of this feeling it has to be either perfect-or you shouldn't even try.

so, I wouldn't be perfect. but I had all the reasons to become good enough. and I passed on it. and I know many people like myself.

i strongly believe in empowerment..and sometimes "do what you love" is an integral part of it.

"do what you love" can be irritating as hell too, when it's told just so, as some general slogan everybody should abide to. "do what you love!" "be yourself!" there are hundreds of these. while sometimes you shouldn't do what you love but should do what needs to be done..many times actually))

so as all the other things it can be too much or too fake.

"every medicine is a poison, and every poison is a medicine; the difference is in the dosage"

so it can be the very right thing to say, the most important one. and you usually feel it when it's the right thing to say.

and it can be just a bunch of empty words too.

I -probably, since it's not completely conscious process-look for the clues in the post as to whether I can say "do what you love"-and feel that it was actually quite important to say it.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

I think it is a rare person who would post a query in a design forum about how something looks who didn't care what people thought. They would not be in a design forum otherwise. Believe me, I know a lot of people who have no interest in whether other people like their houses or not. They like it and what other people think doesn't matter--they are not here.

And doing what you love is not easy for (1) the person who doesn't know what that is, and that's why they are asking for help, or (2) the person who loves too many things, gets infatuated, and also quickly falls out of love with things.

I love design of all sorts but I realize to do everything I loved I would need a 50 room house. Trying to cram into a small house everything I loved would be a mess.

So that's why I think while it may be a kind or supportive thing to say when intended that way--it still may not be a very constructive or conclusive thing to say. I do think that many people say this with the best intentions

But finally, I would say more often than not the tone of the person saying "Do what you love, who cares what people think?" is often a snark--you can tell by the way it's typed, using bold, italics, all capitals, exclamation points...

it's the person "coming to the defense" of the person who asked the original question (and possibly getting negative feedback or unsolicited advice--which is a danger--) and essentially telling (1) the people who are giving the advice to shut up, and (2) the OP that the people who are giving the advice "think too highly of themselves" "are not the design police" "or are self-appointed taste mavens" which are the other types of statements that the "do what you lovers" (in all caps italics or !!!) make either implicitly or explicitly --about the people giving advice.

Or at least it used to be like that, I dunno I haven't posted in this forum for months.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I have often said "do what you love" b/c it drives me crazy, yes, crazy when people want to decorate w/ resale in mind. Do you know with metaphysical certainty that purchaser will like your selection? Of course not! So being your home, do what you love. Taste specific might be harder to redo but in these days of HGTV, people look forward to reformatting the nest and the more dramatic the conversion, the better.

also if one posts question that demands a yes or no answer, a NO is almost always unwelcome, despite best intention. If post is how-to oriented, (i.e. how to update hideous granny table) much easier to post a kind and constructive suggestion.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

To the extent that someone was asking a question about resale, I would hands down suggest that the OP decorate in the way that made them happy rather than be concerned about some anonymous future buyer --within reason. I would not be supportive of someone who wanted to have a five person shower and no other bathroom, or a $75,000 kitchen with a two -burner cooktop. But other than that. wallpaper away, mirror the ceiling. You may deal with implications at sale time, but it could be worth the trade off.

• Iowacommute
    7 years ago

It's probably along the lines of talying to myself to figure out a problem, but sometimes after I post I realize the solution. Although I'm usually surprised by other options I didn't consider.

Sometimes I think it's helpful to read it from another point of view if I'm stuck.

• Oakley
    7 years ago

"Do what you love!" are empty words unless they're preceded by words that are positive to the decor.

If a certain style isn't my cup of tea, then I won't comment and especially add do what you love!

Pal, you wrote, "... (and possibly getting negative feedback or
    unsolicited advice--which is a danger--) . There is a current topic where many are telling the op to replace or change certain items that are expensive, and it's obvious a lot of thought went into their purchase. It happens quite a lot and I've never understood that type of thinking.

There is one thing I seem to always need help on and that's accessorizing. Even with all the books I have on the topic, I cannot do it For some reason when I arrange accessories (I'm great at furniture arrangement) I'm not happy. That's when an extra pair of eye's come in handy. But don't come in and say your decorating isn't my cup of tea and then offer advice or say do what you love. UNLESS you have a trained eye on a particular type of decor.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

It's hard to know when to keep quiet or when to speak up. Sometimes, the OP isn't sure if they want advice/a critique or confirmation.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

It's hard to know when to keep quiet or when to speak up. Sometimes, the OP isn't sure if they want advice/a critique or confirmation.

And this is why some threads get few responses and some get a lot of responses that make the thread go south. If someone really doesn't want an opinion, they probably shouldn't ask for it. That probably sounds like a snarky unhelpful statement in and of itself, but it's not meant to be.

If somebody really wants opinions in this forum, they are going to get opinions, and unless (even If, perhaps), they have done a really great job that coincides with the current taste parameters of the group, they are going to get negative opinions and disagreement. I guess if what you want is self-validation, post it to your Facebook account and have your settings so only your friends see it and can respond. For something uncontroversial in the big picture like this, your friends on Facebook are probably going to be positive. If not, you can always unfriend them.

I don't know how many of you ever read the Building a Home or Kitchen forums, but there is some percentage of posters who post a House Plan or a Kitchen Plan, and all they really want is positive feedback. And some of these plans, especially the self-designed house floor plans, are just not good--as in not even buildable. And some of the internet plans are just very inappropriate for their budgets or their needs. And they don't want to hear it and they take great offense at any criticism. This is when it is still a piece of paper, it's not even real yet. And I know, there are curmudgeonly people who have all sorts of negative opinions about things that are already being built all the way up to "tear it down and start over", which is not particularly constructive. The problem is, that it's not always particularly wrong, either. It's just that the person is asking for advice much too late.

• amberm145
    7 years ago

I want to give bossyvossy a standing ovation.

I find there's way too much emphasis on resale on HGTV shows these days. People have started replacing "decor" with "eliminate all personality from your home". I so desperately want to scream that people need to stop letting celebrity real estate agents tell them what style is.

On another forum I read, someone posted wanting permission to buy a blue couch. She posted a photo of her house with grey walls, grey rug, grey side chairs, white trim and curtains. Very, very minimal blue here and there. Several people told her to go with a grey couch to be safe, and use coloured throw pillows. NOOOOO!!!!! I'm one of the few people who actually LOVES grey, but even I need it partnered with another colour, and throw pillows aren't going to cut it. I had to bite my tongue and not tell these people their own grey on grey on grey homes that match every other grey house in their neighbourhood sound so boring. And I'm sure not every one of them actually likes grey that much.

Even here, where there's more style than the average HGTV show (at least on the Canadian version), sometimes people can be a little too attached to their own preferences. Like the people who told the woman looking for advice on her display shelves that she needed more books. Why? If she's not a book lover, why would she display books?

• amberm145
    7 years ago

Oh, and I was a regular poster on the Building a Home. I can't remember if it was there or the bathroom forum I asked a question about layout, and out of about 12 responses, 1 or 2 was helpful. The rest were about how I needed to swap my closet and bathroom so you have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet rather than the reverse, and needed to get rid of my tub so I could have a dual sink. No, this is my house, and I prefer to have the closet before the bathroom, and I hate dual sinks. It had nothing to do with the question I asked.

So sometimes, "do what you love" is intended for the other posters as much as it is for the OP.

ETA: There was one design I remember where the back door entered into the main floor powder room, so that people could come in from the yard and use the toilet without having to transverse other spaces. Nevermind how people get into the house if someone else is peeing? And they had no closets in the bedrooms. Instead they had storage in the laundry room for the clothing for everyone in the house. Because all the clothes stay in the laundry room, and the family all dresses together. Other than that, most of the critiques are over trivial preferences.

I was also told I needed to move my house further from my property line AND that it was too narrow, because my lot is only 35' wide. It's inner city and not an acreage.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

(that reminded me how I hate Facebook, what an awful format for everything but the photos. sorry for the off topic))

i do read Kitchens, and-more rarely-Building a Home..but I'm extremely slow when it comes to reading a plan. that's why I miss a great deal of pretty amazing discussions..i still read them since i'm in awe that quite a big number of people possesses the skill to look at the plan, make a sense of it in what seems milliseconds to me, and to suggest a different one..but i can't easily follow the details.

anyway, i wanted to say something else actually..)) one of my earlier threads here was about a vanity countertop. I was very mad about getting an unsolicited advice about the bathroom color scheme from a granite guy that gave me this advice but didn't bring any normal samples of stone (which he was supposed to, as per our agreement with the GC)

One of the commenters asked me very directly why did I open the thread and what am I seeking to hear/get from the group-validation? critique? just a listening ear? advice? I thought for a minute and answered honestly that I've no definite idea, and that a little bit of everything would help. And -it did help. That thread allowed me to make a transition from being helplessly mad to being constructive. Also ultimately saved me from a quick choice between bad and bad that I was supposed to make "by tomorrow". I asked for a few more days, and found the stone I loved. Why didn't I think of it all by myself? Why didn't I ask right away?The discussion helped me to understand that what really was making me mad was not an unsolicited advice on colors, but the lack of expected advice on stones:)

Sometimes direct questions like the one I got back then, really help. People share their opinions more freely. And the OP is taking them more willingly. Some sort of a simple yet important contract is made. Between the one who asks and the ones who answer.

Ideally it should be implied. But if something in the wording of the post makes one unsure-he/she/me can ask. Like this very smart poster I was talking about.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

amberm:

I understand that. I did not build a house but I bought one and I said over and over in the kitchen or remodeling forum: The lot is 20 feet wide. The house is 20 feet wide. These are row houses. This is considered a wide house. There is absolutely no way this house can be expanded in any direction. I could not move the front door even though it meant the kitchen was 7.5 feet wide, because the house is completely symmetrical and concrete. There were people who just thought I was being difficult. Finally most of them realized that the house really was a row house and took up the entire lot. And then some of them just thought I was stupid for buying a house with so many limitations. So yes, part of it is that people do not read or listen to all the information and make judgments about decisions already made that will not change. It is a two way street for sure.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

(post about arranging the shelves-I understood the OP did love books..she thought though the ones she likes are not worth displaying. so there was an attempt to tell her "why not?" as far as I understood)

• TwoBelles
    7 years ago

Ms b, I actually LOL'd while reading your comment....love it!

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

and unless (even If, perhaps), they have done a really great job
    that coincides with the current taste parameters of the group, they are
    going to get negative opinions and disagreement.

And that's THE reason I rarely post pictures or at least don't post them with questions concerning my taste or decorating queries.

• amberm145
    7 years ago

Yeah, I just posted something for comments, and I'm kind of afraid I'm going to get ripped apart because I don't see a whole lot of my style portrayed in this section, at least not favourably. Oh well. I can ignore the particularly harsh stuff.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

When someone asks for opinions, I'm assuming they are hoping to get some educated advice from people that are posting here in the decorating forums. They probably just assume that people posting here know what they are talking about. Reality though is that anyone can post here. I'm far from a professional but I've always had an "eye" for what looks good.

There are people that want their homes to look like they were professionally decorated with no intention to giving it a personal touch. There are people that want to decorate with their own personal taste but would still like the input of others. They want their own things but they don't really know exactly how to place them for the best look. IMHO, making a home look like a magazine is not realistic. In a magazine, functionality is not considered. In real life, the rooms of our houses need to be "livable". Right? So for that reason, they probably will not look like the magazine we are wanting to copy.

Most of us cannot afford to buy new stuff every five years to keep up with the current trends. I just saw a very cute kitchen posted and people say "get rid of the scalloped trim" that makes it look dated. But if tomorrow, a famous decorator started adding scalloped trim to kitchens, it would be all the rage again. I cannot see getting rid of things just because it's not the latest fad in decor. I'm the type that uses what I have and has an eye for placement of things to make it look nice. I'm not going to get rid of my stuff that I love just because it's not the latest fad in decor. I still have my old Windbergs and Larry Dyke art work that I bought many years ago. A family member came to our house the other day and said "I just love all your pictures". The person that said this is a member of the artist guild. I felt vindicated...HAHA!

• decormyhomepls
    7 years ago

One has to be pretty strong to accept negative criticism. It's human nature. BUT, in cases here where people are genuinely asking for advice they truly do want criticism. Problem is, as others pointed out, sometimes posters give advice and then OP gets defensive!

• JustDoIt
    7 years ago

palimpest stated:

"And doing what you love is not easy for (1) the person who doesn't know what that is, and that's why they are asking for help, or (2) the person who loves too many things, gets infatuated, and also quickly falls out of love with things."

I fall into both of these categories. I've been "doing what I love" for 30 years. That's why I now come here to soak up suggestions.

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

I feel that most people who come to these boards with questions are actually looking for advice, Telling people to do what they love, in my opinion, is actually being dismissive.

• practigal
    7 years ago

It depends on the request. The interesting thing about "do what you love is" that if you do, the colors end up matching.... the harder issues for most people are size and shape issues (like how big the rug, how much walkway space, how can I tell if that sofa will really fit, etc) and it is really helpful to ask questions and get answers from the people here, many of whom have excellent advice.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

I think you're right.

But a lot of the advice given tends to have very traditional elements. I know when I needed help I wasn't looking for traditional design ideas. This was for a weekend home and I wanted a particular feel.

I even made it a point to say I won't do something specific. I was still told "that's exactly what I should do." That's not constructive to me. A "do what you love" or, just no response would have been better.

There were other posters though who have helped me understand exactly what I was trying to go for. They were able to put their own preference aside, and give me wonderful advice that I have taken.

For the most part though, I've learned a lot here about general decorating rules. Things like the correct height for pictures, and how to incorporate colors and textures. I've taken most of the advice here until I found what worked for me. Very grateful for that.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Hmmmm. Here is a sample of people asking for input and then getting upset if posters do so but not necessarily validate.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4399647/brick-shower?n=4

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

I was just reading that bossyvossy. I need to work on my bathroom redo. it is leaking and we are running out of time. I was thinking today should i post in bathrooms or here, and i was cracking up reading that post!

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

MsB hahaha that was great.

• User
    7 years ago

Wow. Now I'm obsessed with brick showers. Not that I want one, but I find the concept fascinating and more than a little strange!

• Rudebekia
    7 years ago

I find myself posting design questions sometimes when I honestly don't know what I love. It often takes responses to start to visualize options; input can be very valuable. That said, I don't always take advice. Sometimes once I know the options and hear opinions, I get a much better sense of what I do want. For example, although posters told me I could "do better" with a living room rug I was interested in, I ended loving the rug and went for it--and couldn't be happier. Getting opinions is an education in taste, but it does then come down to personal taste.

• Beth
    7 years ago

I think "do what you love" is useless advice when someone is staring at a blank area (wall, room, whatever).

I think "go with your heart" can be useful advice when there are multiple ideas out there, all of which look good--to different people. In that case, go with what you love.

So, if someone asks for rug advice, and half a dozen people post rugs and there's conversation about why each one works and doesn't, the final choice is "which of these makes your heart sing"--but that's after helping the OP out by bringing up different ideas that s/he might not have thought of or was feeling stuck about.

(I find the idea of brick showers strange, too.)

• Gooster
    7 years ago

I find "do what you love" to have limits, unless you truly don't care about the end result, and then as Pal noted, you normally would not be posting asking for help. A lot of people (myself especially) love a lot of things but it doesn't mean they should all go in the same space. To the nth degree, that turns into hoarding. Stylistic choice is a "do what you love" situation, implementation is a different thing

Whew that brick shower thread just made me shudder. There are a variety of people chiming in, including pros, and one pro linked to a perfectly fine answer (and per that answer, some bum advice as well).

• graywings123
    7 years ago

I read that thread and I'm on the side of Mr. Brick Shower. I can see why he was annoyed.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I don't read everything that closely but I've never seen it where someone posted a blank slate and the recommendation was do what you love. That would be dismissive. People asked questions about what they loved as a starting point, but I wouldn't consider that condescending.

Indoor Brick shower--weird and fascinating indeed. My house in humid Houston is painted brick, (a sealant of sorts) and we must power wash every few years to remove mildew. Can't imagine how mildewy and slippery an indoor brick shower would be. The sneeze fest that would ensue after each shower, ugh

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Sorry, but if one is secure enough to call oneself "fixit". it seems one would be secure enough to accept comments that question the wisdom on whatever topic. You ignore if malicious or explain for further clarification. To be annoyed seems odd as you are here asking questions, which is perfectly OK; snarkyness seems uncalled for to me.

• graywings123
    7 years ago

I don't think he is insecure, I think he was frustrated having asked a very specific question and not getting an answer to that question. I would have felt the same way.

If his research is correct and vanadium salts come and go, then he doesn't need to do anything.

As I see it, there is nothing wrong with adding additional information, but you need to first respond to the question at hand.

• amberm145
    7 years ago

Posting that you've done something and are having physical problems and asking for help is not the same as wanting validation that it's okay to choose the red option over the grey option.

deegw thanked amberm145
  • deegw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think everyone in the shower thread started out cranky and it has just gone downhill from there.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

I glanced at the thread.

While I don't understand the desire for a brick shower I am also not quite so sure what is so unsuitable about it--given that its probably much less easy to clean than say plastic. I lived on a block of brick buildings that were built in the 1830s and 1840s that were completely neglected for decades, and they got rained on all the time. But of course I read in there that concrete block and cement were completely inappropriate materials for a shower. Tell that to Louis Kahn's Trenton Bath House, the shower associated with every municipal pool or park where I grew up, and the many people who had a basement shower that was little more than a curtain and a drain in the floor for the farmers or factory workers in the family to use when they got home from work.

So, I think some people just like to kick others when they are down. (Much in the vein of "you need to tear that all out and start over" and you know they are giggling when they type that.) I almost feel like there should be an orientation thread about what sorts of questions you don't want to ask unless you want people to pick on you.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Isn't there a famous hotel with natural stone showers and a waterfall effect? I thought that was nice. The large shower window looking out into nature might worry me a little.who knows who might be outside. A bikini might be an answer. I loved the orchids and ferns being part of the large shower area. I can't find the picture of it.

• lizzierobin
    7 years ago

Relevant thread for me. I totally get why people would say "do what you love," to encourage people to be individuals and to enjoy their own tastes/styles. For me, I recently posted my kitchen refresh photos, asking for advice/suggestions/opinions precisely to hear other people's thoughts through their eyes. I received great feedback and incorporated many suggestions. I also received many compliments, which was absolutely delightful. Some people made my day. :-) Now when people stop over, I won't be so concerned that they will be thinking "UGH" when they see my 1950s kitchen (well some people might) LOL. I always appreciate other people's advice/suggestions/opinions; sometimes people come up with things that would have never crossed my mind. And this is why I love GardenWeb.

• amberm145
    7 years ago

Brick does absorb water. And yes, exterior brick gets rained on, but there's supposed to be a gap between the brick and the interior finishes so that the water doesn't seep through. But then, grout isn't waterproof, either, and probably 90% of showers out there are tiled with grout. So maybe brick is perfectly acceptable as long as there's a waterproof layer behind it, and the problem is with the specific mortar used. In which case, that thread is a perfect example of something that most people will tell you is crazy, but in actual fact is just fine.

• amberm145
    7 years ago

Oh, and the public pools I've been in with concrete showers are entirely built out of concrete. There's no worry about water getting through and damaging the structure. Most homes are different.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Well, like the concrete showers the houses that I lived in were not veneer brick, they are all brick, no cavity wall, no vapor barrier. Plaster right on the inside of the exterior wall. But I don't see how brick is any less problematic than natural stone, especially something like travertine. (Which I don't get for a shower either, personally). As far as I read there was no real discussion of how the shower was constructed or what water proofing or sealing was done prior to it turning into a contentious thread and calling it unsuitable. It could have been done all wrong, it could have been waterproofed properly, I don't know.